Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
AG

Default Xfce4 not enabling a desktop icon - Debian stable

Hey list

On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

I have followed the directions given at
http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html
<http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/using-removable-media.html> and
have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.

I raised this question on the Xfce forum and the response was:
"Xfce uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those
technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying
stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service, etc)."

This is over my head, so basically - is this a Debian issue, Xfce4 issue
and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
resolving this issue.

Cheers

AG

Archive: 4E510F9F.7020605@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E510F9F.7020605@gmail.com

Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:

> On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
> disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
> the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
> find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)

Insert a CD or DVD, run "mount" and put here the output. Dmesg could be
another option.

> I have followed the directions given at
> http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html
> <http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/using-removable-media.html> and
> have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.
>
> I raised this question on the Xfce forum and the response was: "Xfce
> uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those
> technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying
> stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service,
> etc)."

He's quite right. Distributions tend to customize these packages (gnome/
kde/xfce...) to fit their requirements or likings.

> This is over my head, so basically - is this a Debian issue, Xfce4 issue

Let's say it is just "a issue" :-)

> and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
> because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
> resolving this issue.

No idea about Xfce. In GNOME there is an option (via gconf-editor) to set
if media volumes icons have to be visible on the desktop or not ("/apps/
nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible") but in XFCE I dunno :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Brian

On Sun 21 Aug 2011 at 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:

> On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
> disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
> the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
> find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

The Settings menu. Desktop/icons/Default icons. Is 'Removable Devices'
there? And is it ticked?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
AG

On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

The Settings menu. Desktop/icons/Default icons. Is 'Removable Devices'
there? And is it ticked?

Hi Brian

Yes ... and yes.

AG

Archive: 4E5163A0.3000305@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5163A0.3000305@gmail.com

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM
AG

On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)

By this I mean that I cannot reach it via /media/ ... there are icons
shown in the /media directory but I think they are symlinks. The disk is
definitely being mounted because the associated applications are triggered.

[...]

And this was the point: I had followed all of the instructions given in
the docs, but didn't obtain the intended result. GNOME works as
expected, so has somehow figured out the interface issues, but Xfce4 ...
apparently, not, at least not on this machine.

AG

Greetings,

Archive: 4E5164D6.6050000@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5164D6.6050000@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Camalen

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:04:38 +0100, AG wrote:

>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:
>>
>>> On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
>>> disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD,
>>> then the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can
>>> still find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via
>>> /media/*.
>> Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)
>
> By this I mean that I cannot reach it via /media/ ... there are icons
> shown in the /media directory but I think they are symlinks. The disk is
> definitely being mounted because the associated applications are
> triggered.

And command "mount" returns...? And dmesg shows...?

>> Insert a CD or DVD, run "mount" and put here the output. Dmesg could be
>> another option.

Do USB keys have the same behaviour? I mean, are they showed in the
desktop when you connect them or not?

>>> and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
>>> because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
>>> resolving this issue.

>> No idea about Xfce. In GNOME there is an option (via gconf-editor) to
>> set if media volumes icons have to be visible on the desktop or not
>> ("/apps/ nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible") but in XFCE I dunno :-?
>>
> And this was the point: I had followed all of the instructions given in
> the docs, but didn't obtain the intended result. GNOME works as
> expected, so has somehow figured out the interface issues, but Xfce4 ...
> apparently, not, at least not on this machine.

Not the response you want, I know, but if you only have one CD/DVD reader
just manually create the icon in the desktop. If that's not enough for
you and want to know what's going on, you can open 2 bugs: one in Debian
BTS and the other in XFCE :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Brian

On Sun 21 Aug 2011 at 20:59:28 +0100, AG wrote:

> Yes ... and yes.

I'd have anticipated nothing less! No doubt 'Icon type' is also set to
'file/launcher icons'.

Open ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml and
find the line beginning '<property name="desktop-icons"'. Please post
the section between <property> and the following </property>.

Now for something brutal:

Move ~/.cache, ~/.config and ~/.local to somewhere safe. Log out of X
after unticking the 'Save session for future logins' box. Reboot, log
back in and insert a usb stick, a DVD or a data CD. Have you got four
icons? 'Home', 'File System' and 'Wastebasket - plus one for the device.

Do not use an audio CD. Xfce4 4.6 doesn't put an icon on the desktop for
it and in any case you cannot browse its contents because it has no file
system on it.

The gentle approach: