Old 08-20-2011, 01:54 PM
sdc

Default How do I partition a 250 gb drive for a dual boot setup?

Greetings! I have been using a debian based distro for about 6 months. I want to switch to Debian as I consider the project more professional and not bloated.

Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a dual boot. This dual boot setup will run on a laptop with a 250 GB HDD and a Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no network driver. I imagine that I need to download it using another computer then installing it on the laptop. From where can I get it?)

My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know how many partitions to make for Debian and how large. I was thinking about making a windows partition of 100gb and the rest go to Debian. Please, if it's possible provide me with a partition scheme (that much for root, that much for swap, etc) and instructions of how to set the dualboot laptop up and running.

Thank you and if you need other details please tell me.

PS:I apologize if the content of the mail has already been discussed. I don't know how to search on a mail list. Also, I do know there is GOOOGLE but as a beginner I thought it was more advised to come here and ask questions that can help me solve this specific issue.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Walter Hurry

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 01:54:55 -1200, sdc wrote:

> Greetings! I have been using a debian based distro for about 6 months. I
> want to switch to Debian as I consider the project more professional and
> not bloated.
>

> Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a dual
> boot. This dual boot setup will run on a laptop with a 250 GB HDD and a
> Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no
> network driver. I imagine that I need to download it using another
> computer then installing it on the laptop. From where can I get it?)
>

> My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know how many partitions to
> make for Debian and how large. I was thinking about making a windows
> partition of 100gb and the rest go to Debian. Please, if it's possible
> provide me with a partition scheme (that much for root, that much for
> swap, etc) and instructions of how to set the dualboot laptop up and
> running.

For a beginner, probably the easiest way is:

1) Install Windows
2) Use Windows to shrink your Windows partition to 100M. Leave the
remaining space unpartitioned.
3) Install Debian, and tell it to use free disk space. It will do its
thing for you.
4) Google 'Broadcom BCM4312 + Debian' and look at the first result.
Sheesh.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Brian

On Sat 20 Aug 2011 at 01:54:55 -1200, sdc wrote:

> Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a dual
> boot. This dual boot setup will run on a laptop with a 250 GB HDD and a
> Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no
> network driver. I imagine that I need to download it using another computer
> then installing it on the laptop. From where can I get it?)

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Install to the laptop with a cabled connection. Set up the BCM4312 from
within Debian.

> My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know how many partitions to make
> for Debian and how large. I was thinking about making a windows partition of
> 100gb and the rest go to Debian. Please, if it's possible provide me with a
> partition scheme (that much for root, that much for swap, etc) and
> instructions of how to set the dualboot laptop up and running.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Start the installer in expert mode. Shrink the Windows partition and
partition using the Manual option. Putting Debian on a single partition
saves you thinking about wasted space or having sufficient space on a
partition. Alternatively, have / as 10/20GB and use the remainder for
/home. 1-2GB would be suficient for swap.

GRUB will detect Windows when it is installed to the mbr.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 01:54 -1200, sdc wrote:
> Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a
> dual boot.

Alternativelly to dual-boot you might want to consider running windows
as a virtual machine, using, for example, VirtualBox (there are others).

It will work just fine. After some time you end up forgetting that the
windows computer is actually a virtual machine... because is as real as
any other computer.

The process would be very simple:

1) Install Debian (use automatic partitioning and take the "everything
in same partition option")
2) Install Virtual box
3) install windows as a VM under virtual box.

I've been using this setup for about 5 years (3 years with VMware and 2
years with VirtualBox).

cheers
Joao