Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 AM
"Sudheendra ."

Default PAE Kernel to generic

Dear All,

recently, I have upgraded kernel version from 2.6.32 to 2.6.39 through synaptic on my laptop.
Now, not able to compile ALSa package as it says that no kernel module found. after searching in google, i found out that this is because of pae kernel which required for the system more than 4GB Ram.

I have 2 GB Ram and i need to switch back to generic kernel version,

how i could do that?

Regards,
Sudhi

Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:16:01 +0530, Sudheendra . wrote:

> recently, I have upgraded kernel version from 2.6.32 to 2.6.39 through
> synaptic on my laptop.
> Now, not able to compile ALSa package as it says that no kernel module
> found. after searching in google, i found out that this is because of
> *pae kernel* which required for the system more than 4GB Ram.

Hum... you will need to install the corresponding packages (header,
symbols or whatever it requires) for your pae kernel in order to be able
to compile things.

> I have 2 GB Ram and i need to switch back to generic kernel version,

My nebook also has a hardware limit of 2 GiB but I still use the PAE
kernel. PAE kernel is not only convenient for more than 4 GiB of ram but
is also enables SMP (multi-processing) and NX bit (a security measure).
In brief, just keep it as is :-)

> how i could do that?

AFAIK, the latest kernel remain installed on your system unless you
excplicitely removed, at least when it was an upgrade. Anyway, you can
reinstall whatever kernel you prefer just like you install other packages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 8/20/2011 4:36 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> PAE kernel is not only convenient for more than 4 GiB of ram but
> is also enables SMP (multi-processing) and NX bit (a security measure).
> In brief, just keep it as is :-)

To clarify, the *Debian* PAE kernel package in question was built with
these kernel options enabled. Enabling PAE in .config before doing a
kernel build does not automatically enable SMP and the other things
mentioned--they are all separate options.

Just making this clear so someone doesn't read this and assume "PAE" =
"SMP" in the Linux world in general.

--
Stan

Old 08-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:42:52 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 8/20/2011 4:36 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> PAE kernel is not only convenient for more than 4 GiB of ram but is
>> also enables SMP (multi-processing) and NX bit (a security measure). In
>> brief, just keep it as is :-)
>
> To clarify, the *Debian* PAE kernel package in question was built with
> these kernel options enabled.

In fact, the same happens in most of the pre-made "-pae" kernels I've
seen in other distributions. Just to clarify this is not only for Debian
kernels.

> Enabling PAE in .config before doing a kernel build does not
> automatically enable SMP and the other things mentioned--they are all
> separate options.

Enabling "CONFIG_X86_PAE" just enables "CONFIG_X86_PAE". Yeep, that makes
sense and I hope it does automatically enable another options that were
not manually set... But now you mention, "NX bit" requires PAE to be "on"
so I guess it will be automatically marked if you enable this.

> Just making this clear so someone doesn't read this and assume "PAE" =
> "SMP" in the Linux world in general.

Sure, I was referring specifically to "linux-image-686-pae", I didn't
think the OP was talking about compiled/home made kernels.

And now you also mention this, another distributions provide a set of
kernels for their users in a more flexible way: there are desktop kernels
(which enable pae, nx bit and smp) and there are also plain kernels
(which enable smp but keep pae and nx bit turned off).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón