Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Kent West

Default smbpasswd -a unsuccessful

kernel - 2.6.34-1-686 #1 SMP

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> cat /etc/debian_version
5.0.8

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> aptitude show samba
Package: samba
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2:3.2.5-4lenny15

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo pdbedit -L
params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file:
** To fix broken Macintosh OS/X symlinks

davey:1005avid H,,,
alex:1013:Alexander K,,,
backup:34:backup
<etc etc>

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo smbpasswd -a amyld
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL!
Failed to add entry for user amyld.
Failed to modify password entry for user amyld

I've googled and found this symptom a lot (apparently related to
deleting a/any user account from the Debian system itself breaking the
Samba passdb.tdb file), but not a fix. It seems there was a bug that was
fixed in version 3.3, but that's not available in the lenny archives.

If I delete /var/lib/passdb.tdb, I can then get the command to work, but
then I've lost all my other users' access.

Thanks for any help!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4E4EC327.5070703@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4E4EC327.5070703@acu.edu

Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Roberto De Oliveira

Could you send the output of testparm -v ?

--
Saludos,
Roberto De Oliveira

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:10:15 -0500, Kent West wrote:

(...)

> westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo smbpasswd -a amyld New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL! Failed to add entry
> for user amyld.
> Failed to modify password entry for user amyld

(...)

Does the same happen when adding the user with "pdbedit"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Kent West

Camaleón wrote:

Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL! Failed to add entry
for user amyld.
Failed to modify password entry for user amyld

(...)

Does the same happen when adding the user with "pdbedit"?

Greetings,

pdbedit -a amyld

does work! Is "pdbedit" the preferred way now instead of using
"smbpasswd -a"? If so, I'm content with this as a fix, so long as it
doesn't hurt anything that "smbpasswd -a" is broken.

Thanks!

--
Kent