Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Bob Proulx

Default Just a Quick Question

RiverWind wrote:
> I used to be able to "ssh" from my shellworld account into my Linux
> box before I got the latest version of the squeeze disk. I am not
> able to do so now. Exactly what needs to be set up or in place in
> order for me to once again be able to access my Linux box via "ssh"
> or "telnet" from another site?

1. Ensure that openssh-server is installed.

$ dpkg -l openssh-server
ii openssh-server 1:5.8p1-7 secure shell (SSH) server ...

2. Ensure that sshd is listening on port 22.

$ netstat -na | grep '0.0.0.0:22'
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

3. Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the local host.
Do this on the local host.

$ telnet localhost 22
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p1 Debian-7
^] <-- Use Control-] to escape
telnet> quit <-- Then type quit to exit

4. Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the remote host.
Do this from the remote host.

$ telnet yourlinuxhost 22
...same as above... ...escape to command prompt and quit ...

If that fails look for a firewall that is blocking the connection.

# less /var/log/kern.log

5. Ensure that you can ssh to the remote host.
Do this on the remote host.

$ ssh yourlinuxhost

6. Increase debug level. Use one or two -v's to increase verbosity.

$ ssh -v yourlinuxhost

7. Look in /var/log/auth.log on host to determine why sshd failed.

# less /var/log/auth.log

8. Start your own debugging version of sshd and see all messages
inline.

# /usr/sbin/sshd -d -p 2222 <-- On the local host.
$ ssh -p 2222 yourlinuxhost <-- On the remote host.

If any of the above steps fail then stop there and fix that part
before proceeding further.

Bob

Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Bob Proulx

Including the mailing list back in the discussion...

RiverWind wrote:
> I do not seem to have an ssh server installed on my system. How
> could I get one, and how extensive would the config process bee?

Easy!

# apt-get install openssh-server

That is all that you need to do. The server will be configured and
started automatically.

> Thanks so much for your first response; it was quite helpful to say
> the least.

Glad to help.

Bob

Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 AM
RiverWind

Ok, so I do indeed have an "ssh" server, and I am able to ssh into my
ISP's shell account. However, I can not ssh over to my linux box. In other
words, I can get out but not in.

Riv

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1108192327410.2086@server1.shellworl d.net">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1108192327410.2086@server1.shellworl d.net

Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Bob Proulx

RiverWind wrote:
> Ok, so I do indeed have an "ssh" server, and I am able to ssh into
> my ISP's shell account. However, I can not ssh over to my linux box.
> In other words, I can get out but not in.

Out uses ssh client. In uses ssh server.

Start back at the list at step 4 or before and see where things work
and not work. Then don't say "doesn't work" but instead show us
exactly the commands you are issuing and the exact output that you are
experiencing. We can't help you otherwise.

Bob

Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 PM
RiverWind

How does one go about turning off the screen saver on the Debian system?
Thanks so much in advance.

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1109131952460.12225@server1.shellwor ld.net">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1109131952460.12225@server1.shellwor ld.net

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 07:53:19PM -0400, RiverWind wrote:
> How does one go about turning off the screen saver on the Debian
> system? Thanks so much in advance.

It depends on which desktop environment you use
(KDE/GNOME/XFCE/Other?). Each one has its own way. Alternately, if you
run xscreensaver, xscreensaver-demo can be used to control the screen
saver.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Feel free to contact me (flames about my english and the useless of this
driver will be redirected to /dev/null, oh no, it's full...).

Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

How does one go about turning off the screen saver on the Debian system? Thanks so much in advance.

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me

and what I stand for.

My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net

My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/

assuming that you're using gnome 2

System > Preferences > Screensaver
Uncheck "Activate screensaver when computer is idle"
*--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my