Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
AG

Default Is there a safe way of upgrading to Xfce4.8 on stable?

Hey list

On stable, I am currently running Xfce4.6. I notice that in the sid
repos, Xfce4.8 is available. Is there a safe way of upgrading to 4.8 in
a manner that will not break my system, or is it really only a matter of
waiting for Xfce4.8 to make its way through the repos to stable?

Thanks.

AG

Archive: 4E4E21F5.6020007@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E4E21F5.6020007@gmail.com

Old 08-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Brian

On Fri 19 Aug 2011 at 09:42:29 +0100, AG wrote:

> On stable, I am currently running Xfce4.6. I notice that in the sid
> repos, Xfce4.8 is available. Is there a safe way of upgrading to 4.8 in
> a manner that will not break my system, or is it really only a matter of
> waiting for Xfce4.8 to make its way through the repos to stable?

About the safest way would be via backports to Squeeze - provided
Xfce4.8 is there.

http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/

Otherwise you have an eighteen month or so wait before stable has
anything other than Xfce4.6. Squeeze will always have Xfce4.6.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
AG

On stable, I am currently running Xfce4.6. I notice that in the sid
repos, Xfce4.8 is available. Is there a safe way of upgrading to 4.8 in
a manner that will not break my system, or is it really only a matter of
waiting for Xfce4.8 to make its way through the repos to stable?

About the safest way would be via backports to Squeeze - provided
Xfce4.8 is there.

http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/

Otherwise you have an eighteen month or so wait before stable has
anything other than Xfce4.6. Squeeze will always have Xfce4.6.

Thanks Brian

Unfortunately, it looks as if I will have to wait. Xfce4.8 is in
testing though, so I may work up the nerve to update to testing one of
these days, but will otherwise just wait.

Cheers

AG