Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
yudi v

Default LUKS and LVM sequence at boot and shutdown incorrect

My laptop hard drive configuration:

sda1 - win7
sda2 - /boot
sda3 - LVM on top of LUKS partition - (separate LVs for /, /home, and SWAP)
sda5 - FAT32

for the most part everything seems to be working fine except the order of modules/components when Debian boots up.

When I boot Debian, it first looks for the LVM VG and LV, and then the LUKS container. - I encrypted the PV, I thought the order should be the other way around.

So when it boots, message on the screen says it failed to load the VG and the LVs and then gives me an option to enter my pass-phrase.

Because I have LVM on top of LUKS I thought it would first open the LUKS container and then load the LVM container.

I have the same problem when shutting down.

It closes the LUKS container and then throws up an error saying it cannot find VG and LVs (or something similar).

Of course* it will not find hte VG once the LUKS container is closed.

Not sure how this happened. Can anyone explain how to fix this.

Thanks

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Erwan David

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:50:12AM CEST, yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com> said:
> My laptop hard drive configuration:
>
> sda1 - win7
> sda2 - /boot
> sda3 - LVM on top of LUKS partition - (separate LVs for /, /home, and SWAP)
> sda5 - FAT32
>

> for the most part everything seems to be working fine except the order of
> modules/components when Debian boots up.
>
> When I boot Debian, it first looks for the LVM VG and LV, and then the LUKS
> container. - I encrypted the PV, I thought the order should be the other way
> around.
>
> So when it boots, message on the screen says it failed to load the VG and
> the LVs and then gives me an option to enter my pass-phrase.
>
> Because I have LVM on top of LUKS I thought it would first open the LUKS
> container and then load the LVM container.
>

> I have the same problem when shutting down.
>
> It closes the LUKS container and then throws up an error saying it cannot
> find VG and LVs (or something similar).
>
> Of course it will not find hte VG once the LUKS container is closed.
>
> Not sure how this happened. Can anyone explain how to fix this.

Did you try to use the early option in cryptsetup ? It make sthe luks part being done earlier at boot time (in the cryptdisks-early boot script).

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
yudi v

Did you try to use the early option in cryptsetup ? It make sthe luks part being done earlier at boot time (in the cryptdisks-early boot script).

did not know that, thanks for pointing it out. I did not read anything about it in the installation documentation.

*I thought the installer will be smart enough to figure out that it needs to open the LUKS container to get to the LVs.

*
I will definitely read up on this issue.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi