Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default Hardware failu power-off

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:46:55 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> This is almost certainly a hardware problem, but I think readers of this
> list are knowledgeable enough to help me.
>
> My laptop shuts down at unexpected times. There are no messages in the
> logs at the time of shutdown, but there are some ACPI failures at boot
> time.
>
> When the power-off occurs, if I reboot the computer, another power-off
> occurs very shortly, and so on. It seems I have to let the computer
> "cool down" for a while, so I suspect this may be temperature related.
>
> I have started monitoring the laptop temperatures through the
> sensors-applet package, and they seem to be within ranges.

Also check the hardware monitor section of the BIOS, if possible, they
will give you an accurate measure. You can also check the output of "acpi
-V" to find out additional data for trip points (is available).

Is it a laptop or a desktop computer?

> Also the power-off are less likely, if gdm3 has managed to start.
>
> I appreciate any advice.

By your explanation, yep, looks like the micro is reaching a high
temperature and it shutdowns to avoid damage. Keep the system running
with the BIOS screen opened and watch fans speed rotation and system
temps... and keep it so for a while to see if it also powers-off.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:41:36 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> On 08/19/2011 09:10 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Also check the hardware monitor section of the BIOS, if possible, they
>> will give you an accurate measure. You can also check the output of
>> "acpi -V" to find out additional data for trip points (is available).
>>
>> Is it a laptop or a desktop computer?
>
> It's a laptop. I couldn't find a hardware monitor in the BIOS.

Hum, yes, laptops suck for this, I mean, their BIOS are so limited that
look useless :-/

> Also I can't find the 'acpi' command, not even with apt-file.

ACPI is a package. I got it installed on both, desktops and laptops
computers.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/acpi

On desktops, "acpi -V" displays little information but on laptops you can
get useful values for CPU temperature, thermal trip points, fans and
battery status. OTOH, lm-sensors can be also an option, as you said
before, but this program has to be first tweaked to get usable and
accurate values.

>> By your explanation, yep, looks like the micro is reaching a high
>> temperature and it shutdowns to avoid damage. Keep the system running
>> with the BIOS screen opened and watch fans speed rotation and system
>> temps... and keep it so for a while to see if it also powers-off.
>
> I opened the laptop and cleaned the fan's airduct. Then the laptop was
> stable for many hours.
>
> But. Before going to sleep, I activated a 3D screensaver. When I woke-up
> the laptop had powered-off again.
>
> When using glxgears, the CPU cores' temperature skyrockets very fast,
> and the fan becomes very noisy.
>
> I missed something, something I didn't clean. Do you think I can resolve
> this on my own (I am abroad), or should I pay a technician when I get
> home?

I would first look for a BIOS update if available, but yes, if you have
no previous experience on laptops cleaning (while this a common task I
always do by myself on desktops/servers is something I never did before
on laptops) I would consider bringing the computer to the service support
so they take a look (consider doing a full backup of your hard disk, just
in case they break something...).

It can be the fan that just needs to be replaced (maybe this is something
you can try yourself) but it also can be the heatsink of the processor,
that needs to be fully cleaned or even replaced with a new one, and this
task can be tricky, depending on your computer brand/model.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Camaleón

El 2011-08-20 a las 12:34 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis escribió:

(resending to the list)

> Thank you again!
>
> $ acpi -V
> Battery 0: Full, 100%
> Battery 0: design capacity 4400 mAh, last full capacity 3558 mAh = 80%
> Adapter 0: on-line
> Thermal 0: ok, 58.8 degrees C
> Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 199.8
> degrees C
> Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
> Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
>
> There is no way the temperature reached 199.8 degrees C!

Not al all :-}

"Trip points" are temperature levels triggers that activate preventive
mesaures when they are reached (like powering-off the system or make
your fans run faster). But 199.8℃ looks of course wrong, even for an
ultra-low consumption microprocessor is a very high value, so there is a
bug on acpi package/kernel or your BIOS is delivering wrong values that makes
acpi goes nuts :-)

Try a BIOS update, if possible.

> All my important data is on my desktop PC.
>
> I'll probably take it to the service center. There my a problem with the
> thermal glue on the processor + plus all those you described yourself.
>
> Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Greetings,

--