Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default Transplanting old System to New Drive (now Linux for vision impaired)

On 19/08/11 06:39, Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2011 03:55:30 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> As Martin isn't going to
>> use a Live CD approach - it's a moot point. (though Knoppix Adriane will
>> probably do the job, and includes parted)
>
> I understood (possibly erroneously) that Martin's problem wasn't that he
> doesn't know about about Live CDs intended for those of us with less than
> perfect vision, but that he can't, without the help of a sighted person, use
> any of the tools available on the BIOS of the machine he is using to
> set "boot from optical drive" because only visual information is available
> prior to booting.
>
> Lisi

You are probably correct Lisi - I'm (reluctantly) new to the reduced
vision thing, and have yet to learn the basic skills (I still prefer the
headaches from squinting over using a screen reader).

Surely someone has thought to market a BIOS for the unsighted? I vaguely
recall an addon for the Spectrum (Currah), but the only PC BIOS I can
remember was a Phillips (or Panasonic?) from the early 80s (it announced
BIOS settings, can't recall if it aided navigation). Lernout & Hauspie
were working on similar project (or collecting money under those
pretexts) - hopefully that is amongst the technology that was aquired by
Nuance/Visioneer/Scansoft.

It's big technical documents and completely new interfaces that cause me
the most hassles.
For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the reading
even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced the
title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to the
CD....

Unfortunately most of the Live CDs I've come across require a full
desktop just to get reader for CLI tools. The latest Knoppix for
instance, requires the noudev boot parameter to run on many of my
machines - which leaves me with no gui or screenreader! What I'd prefer
is a sort of Tom's Root Boot disk with voice support (and parted).
Knoppix Adriane is very good - I've also heard good things about
ArchLinux for the Blind. But most of the recommendations I get are from
sighted people ie. Vinux is "supposed" to be good... maybe if I came
from a Gnome background I wouldn't find it unusable - or fail to
understand why a desktop built for the sighted has to be adapted for the
blind (ugh).

Cheers

--
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's

Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 AM
"Karl O. Pinc"

On 08/18/2011 07:38:58 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the
> reading
> even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced
> the
> title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to
> the
> CD....

See http://www.freedb.org and the packages with cddb in their
name for possible solutions. I don't know how to tell if
an app is cddb/freedb aware. There's probably a lot of
music apps that are....

See also the festival package and the result of running
"debtags search speech".

Regards,

Karl <kop@meme.com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 19/08/11 14:29, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On 08/18/2011 07:38:58 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the
>> reading
>> even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced
>> the
>> title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to
>> the
>> CD....
>
> See http://www.freedb.org and the packages with cddb in their
> name for possible solutions. I don't know how to tell if
> an app is cddb/freedb aware. There's probably a lot of
> music apps that are....

text2wave will probably do the job (part of festy).

I just want the title of the disk read! ;-p

eg.:-
1. put CD/DVD in drive
2. program reads volume label, announces "K3B data project"
3. I wish I'd put better labels on disk

> See also the festival package and the result of running
> "debtags search speech".
>
> Regards,
>

> Karl <kop@meme.com>
> Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
> -- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the suggestions.
NOTE: Festival is a festy beast, espeak is smaller and simpler.
Better is for me to write clearly on the label, or print a label. I
really don't have anything to complain about.

Cheers

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Lisi

On Friday 19 August 2011 01:38:58 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> But most of the recommendations I get are from
> sighted people ie. Vinux is "supposed" to be good

You will have noticed that I didn't mention it! (The Adriane version of
Knoppix is, of course, good because Adriane Knopper helped to design it, and
is partially sighted herself.) Vinux is virtually useless for anyone totally
blind, because it is complex to get into speech; and useless for anyone
partially sighted because, although the desktop itself has been adapted
(badly from my point of view), no deeper layers are. So you click on an icon
with a label in a not utterly useless text label - and that is as far as you
get. The apps all display in the original tiny fonts. In fact, I agree with
you that it is unusable.

ArchLinux for the Blind I don't know. I must have a look at it.

Lisi

Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Lisi

On Friday 19 August 2011 01:38:58 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the reading
> even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced the
> title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to the
> CD....

Can you read Braille?

Lisi

Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 19/08/11 19:33, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2011 01:38:58 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> But most of the recommendations I get are from sighted people ie.
>> Vinux is "supposed" to be good
>
> You will have noticed that I didn't mention it!

I did, the significance escaped me. Now I know better.

> (The Adriane version of Knoppix is, of course, good because Adriane
> Knopper helped to design it, and is partially sighted herself.)

I did not know that. It was on my list of things to look up - but I'd
"assumed" it was something to do with a European rocket.... Now I know.

> Vinux is virtually useless for anyone totally blind, because it is
> complex to get into speech; and useless for anyone partially sighted
> because, although the desktop itself has been adapted (badly from my
> point of view), no deeper layers are. So you click on an icon with a
> label in a not utterly useless text label - and that is as far as you
> get. The apps all display in the original tiny fonts. In fact, I
> agree with you that it is unusable.

I was over-dramatising - it has some uses:-
;drink coaster
;memory aid for recalling slavic words that end in hard consonants.
;decongestant (it loosens phlegm)
;could be useful if you suffer from very low blood pressure
;cure for constipation

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 19/08/11 19:34, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2011 01:38:58 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the reading
>> even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced the
>> title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to the
>> CD....
>
> Can you read Braille?
>
> Lisi

No.
But I did try dynamo labels (once)... some-days I'm dumber than others :-(

Printed labels work. Even 12 point I can read with the magnifying sheet.
But I've added the "cd labeller"/"label reader" to my list of things
I'll do when I get time.

Cheers

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Lisi

On Friday 19 August 2011 11:34:01 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > Vinux is virtually useless [snip] *In fact, I
> > agree with you that it is unusable.
>
> I was over-dramatising - it has some uses:-
> ;drink coaster
> ;memory aid for recalling slavic words that end in hard consonants.
> ;decongestant (it loosens phlegm)
> ;could be useful if you suffer from very low blood pressure
> ;cure for constipation

:-)

Lisi

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Doug

For me the biggest problem is CD labels - my writing makes the reading
even harder. Now if someone created a simple system that announced the
title of any cd placed in the drive based on information burned to the
CD....

Can you read Braille?

Lisi

No.
But I did try dynamo labels (once)... some-days I'm dumber than others :-(

Printed labels work. Even 12 point I can read with the magnifying sheet.
But I've added the "cd labeller"/"label reader" to my list of things
I'll do when I get time.

Cheers

Brother makes label-makers that produce very thin plastic labels on 2-layer
9/16" tape with characters at least 1/4" (6mm) high. Then you peel the tape
apart, and have an adhesive label that you can stick to a CD, or a binder,
or whatever. The model I have is called "P-Touch." I think it will also
use wider tapes and make bigger letters, I'm not sure. The characters are
black on a white background, and both upper and lower case are supported.
Input is via a small qwerty keyboard.

--doug