FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Paul E Condon
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.
I ask here because this is the list on which I discovered the
existence of (and the need for) these add-ons to web browsers.

1. There seems not to be a direct, feature for feature add-on to
Chrome that corresponds to noscript for Iceweasel. Correct?

2. Setup of notscript involves choosing a rather long password.
There is no such requirement in noscript for iceweasel. Correct?

3. Is this difference because there features in chrome that have
no analog in iceweasel, and blocking these requires something
extra? Or what?

It seems one needs to have quite a long password (>20char). But
one can be somewhat relaxed about the way it is stored. Correct?
Is there a discussion of this situation somewhere that is written
in natural language English? Where?

I come to this question being with a mostly obsolete vocabulary
of words about the Internet. Is there a well maintained glossary
of terms somewhere? One that includes historical usage as well
as the most recent buzz? (so I can track new vs. what was once
new, long ago)


TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110818180157.GA15400@cmpq.lan.gnu">http://lists.debian.org/20110818180157.GA15400@cmpq.lan.gnu
 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

On 19/08/11 04:01, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.
> I ask here because this is the list on which I discovered the
> existence of (and the need for) these add-ons to web browsers.

<quote>
NotScripts uses a unique and novel method to provide this “NoScript”
like functionality in Google Chrome that was not previously possible. It
introduces a break through technique of intelligent HTML5 storage
caching to over come the limitations in Google Chrome that prevented an
extension like this from being made before. This is one of the key
extensions that many people have been waiting for since Google Chrome
came out.

NotScripts is inspired by the “NoScript” addon for Firefox and seeks to
emulate it within the limitations of the Google Chrome extensions
API</quote>:-
http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/

NOTE: "unique" and "novel" are sometimes synonyms for "interesting" and
"unusual".
eg. Setting yourself on fire is a unique, novel, and interesting way of
seeing in the dark.

>
> 1. There seems not to be a direct, feature for feature add-on to
> Chrome that corresponds to noscript for Iceweasel. Correct?

Yes.

Apparently - "The reason is very simple: Chrome is still lacking the
required infrastructure for selective script disablement and object
blocking.":-
http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-chrome-has-no-noscript/


>
> 2. Setup of notscript involves choosing a rather long password.
> There is no such requirement in noscript for iceweasel. Correct?

Correct.
Noscript uses other, less novel and unique methods of keeping the
blocking rules from being read or altered by site scripts

Refs:-
http://noscript.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript

>
> 3. Is this difference because there features in chrome that have
> no analog in iceweasel, and blocking these requires something
> extra? <snipped>

Yes. (and Opera, where notscript is also used)
Refs:-
http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-chrome-has-no-noscript/

>
> It seems one needs to have quite a long password (>20char). But
> one can be somewhat relaxed about the way it is stored. Correct?

Yes

> Is there a discussion of this situation somewhere that is written
> in natural language English?

Barely.

Where?

[Readable]
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/18/notscript-brings-noscript-functionality-to-google-chrome/
[Official gibberish] http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/

>
> I come to this question being with a mostly obsolete vocabulary
> of words about the Internet. Is there a well maintained glossary
> of terms somewhere? One that includes historical usage as well
> as the most recent buzz? (so I can track new vs. what was once
> new, long ago)

Too hard. Pass :-)

>
>
> TIA

Hope that helps answer the questions you asked.

To the questions you failed to ask:-
Does Notscript work?, Why not? and Why bother? the answers are:-
;"barely" (for the moment)*1
; "Maybe because Chrome is a Google product, and you viewing
advertisements is part of Google's core business".
;"I have no idea"

Cheers

[*1] It's a css look-a-like hack.

--
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E4DBA89.5000903@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E4DBA89.5000903@gmail.com
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
consul tores
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

2011/8/18 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
> On 19/08/11 04:01, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.
>> I ask here because this is the list on which I discovered the
>> existence of (and the need for) these add-ons to web browsers.
>
> <quote>
> NotScripts uses a unique and novel method to provide this “NoScript”
> like functionality in Google Chrome that was not previously possible. It
> introduces a break through technique of intelligent HTML5 storage
> caching to over come the limitations in Google Chrome that prevented an
> extension like this from being made before. This is one of the key
> extensions that many people have been waiting for since Google Chrome
> came out.
>
> NotScripts is inspired by the “NoScript” addon for Firefox and seeks to
> emulate it within the limitations of the Google Chrome extensions
> API</quote>:-
> http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/
>
> NOTE: "unique" and "novel" are sometimes synonyms for "interesting" and
> "unusual".
> eg. Setting yourself on fire is a unique, novel, and interesting way of
> seeing in the dark.
>
>>
>> 1. There seems not to be a direct, feature for feature add-on to
>> Chrome that corresponds to noscript for Iceweasel. Correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> Apparently - "The reason is very simple: Chrome is still lacking the
> required infrastructure for selective script disablement and object
> blocking.":-
> http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-chrome-has-no-noscript/
>
>
>>
>> 2. Setup of notscript involves choosing a rather long password.
>> There is no such requirement in noscript for iceweasel. Correct?
>
> Correct.
> Noscript uses other, less novel and unique methods of keeping the
> blocking rules from being read or altered by site scripts
>
> Refs:-
> http://noscript.net/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript
>
>>
>> 3. Is this difference because there features in chrome that have
>> no analog in iceweasel, and blocking these requires something
>> extra? <snipped>
>
> Yes. (and Opera, where notscript is also used)
> Refs:-
> http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-chrome-has-no-noscript/
>
>>
>> It seems one needs to have quite a long password (>20char). But
>> one can be somewhat relaxed about the way it is stored. Correct?
>
> Yes
>
>> Is there a discussion of this situation somewhere that is written
>> in natural language English?
>
> Barely.
>
> Where?
>
> [Readable]
> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/18/notscript-brings-noscript-functionality-to-google-chrome/
> [Official gibberish] http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/
>
>>
>> I come to this question being with a mostly obsolete vocabulary
>> of words about the Internet. Is there a well maintained glossary
>> of terms somewhere? One that includes historical usage as well
>> as the most recent buzz? (so I can track new vs. what was once
>> new, long ago)
>
> Too hard. Pass :-)
>
>>
>>
>> TIA
>
> Hope that helps answer the questions you asked.
>
> To the questions you failed to ask:-
> Does Notscript work?, Why not? and Why bother? the answers are:-
> ;"barely" (for the moment)*1
> ; "Maybe because Chrome is a Google product, and you viewing
> advertisements is part of Google's core business".
> ;"I have no idea"
>
> Cheers
>
> [*1] It's a css look-a-like hack.
>

Some people think that both, could be a security risk, because they
run under java, Is not it?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAFxkjqmZrKEY5nyF7L8rYPxox3+6b5VNCh7Auz1c6iwzQ8LFu w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAFxkjqmZrKEY5nyF7L8rYPxox3+6b5VNCh7Auz1c6iwzQ8LFu w@mail.gmail.com


Fri Aug 19 21:30:01 2011
Return-path: <bounce-debian-kernel=tom=linux-archive.org@lists.debian.org>
Envelope-to: tom@linux-archive.org
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:46:17 +0300
Received: from liszt.debian.org ([82.195.75.100]:44247)
by s2.java-tips.org with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <bounce-debian-kernel=tom=linux-archive.org@lists.debian.org>)
id 1QuT96-0000Ci-W6
for tom@linux-archive.org; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:46:17 +0300
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with QMQP
id 267A613A5E85; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:18 +0000 (UTC)
Old-Return-Path: <debbugs@busoni.debian.org>
X-Original-To: lists-debian-kernel@liszt.debian.org
Delivered-To: lists-debian-kernel@liszt.debian.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id EA88313A5E36
for <lists-debian-kernel@liszt.debian.org>; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:17 +0000 (UTC)
X-Virus-Scanned: at lists.debian.org with policy bank en-ht
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -11
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-11 tagged_above=-10000 required=5.3
tests=[BAYES_00=-2, PGPSIGNATURE=-5, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-4]
autolearn=ham
Received: from liszt.debian.org ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (lists.debian.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 2525)
with ESMTP id DN9JY7ME-PUZ for <lists-debian-kernel@liszt.debian.org>;
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:10 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from busoni.debian.org (busoni.debian.org [140.211.15.34])
(using TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
(Client did not present a certificate)
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 30C0813A5DF8;
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:10 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from debbugs by busoni.debian.org with local (Exim 4.72)
(envelope-from <debbugs@busoni.debian.org>)
id 1QuTDm-0001p5-RT; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:06 +0000
X-Loop: owner@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#638312: Info received (Hibernate: spontaneous reboot during resume, apparently just after loading the memory image (SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp or kernel in pm conf).)
Reply-To: Nicolas =?UTF-8?Q?FRANÇOIS?= <nicolas.mb.francois@gmail.com>, 638312@bugs.debian.org
Resent-From: Nicolas =?UTF-8?Q?FRANÇOIS?= <nicolas.mb.francois@gmail.com>
Resent-To: debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org
Resent-CC: Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>
X-Loop: owner@bugs.debian.org
Resent-Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:05 +0000
Resent-Message-ID: <handler.638312.B638312.13137761886189@bugs.debian .org>
X-Debian-PR-Message: followup 638312
X-Debian-PR-Package: linux-2.6
X-Debian-PR-Keywords:
Received: via spool by 638312-submit@bugs.debian.org id¶38312.13137761886189
(code B ref 638312); Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:51:05 +0000
Received: (at 638312) by bugs.debian.org; 19 Aug 2011 17:49:48 +0000
X-Spam-Bayes: score:0.0000 Tokens: new, 16; hammy, 151; neutral, 56; spammy,
0. spammytokens: hammytokens:0.000-+--HX-Enigmail-Version:1.1.2,
0.000-+--H*c:sk:HnigHHH, 0.000-+--H*cgp-signature, 0.000-+--H*crotocol,
0.000-+--H*c:micalg
Received: from mail-ww0-f48.google.com ([74.125.82.48])
by busoni.debian.org with esmtps (TLS1.0:RSA_ARCFOUR_SHA1:16)
(Exim 4.72)
(envelope-from <nicolas.mb.francois@gmail.com>)
id 1QuTCW-0001aZ-7Q
for 638312@bugs.debian.org; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:49:48 +0000
Received: by wwj26 with SMTP id 26so2215320wwj.5
for <638312@bugs.debian.org>; Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type;
bh=OjpxBfLfmX/ID5xti60dAGACKKnJ+4ONbvfH9EefcPY=;
b=NftkdMcWZAkVFkSUQY/jl9QG+uE8YjnncYaV08jvMNrioFJzTOdU9lhJZjbfkoVEvR
24KBay6IZG4U44C1Qbkai/hyLxcN9rSpGZ+r/G9gZRcBWaRssLQAB41972GvOIsyMCdT
99z9BJ8lfdm8aJq5GtFOYfc5O5a+vC/bcDRfsReceived: by 10.216.13.193 with SMTP id b43mr37789web.1.1313776180954;
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [192.168.0.9] (102.249.82.79.rev.sfr.net [79.82.249.102])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id y52sm2319311wec.45.2011.08.19.10.49.39
(version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <4E4EA22C.8050008@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:49:32 +0200
From: Nicolas =?UTF-8?Q?FRANÇOIS? <nicolas.mb.francois@gmail.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.18) Gecko/20110626 Lightning/1.0b2 Icedove/3.1.11
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: 638312@bugs.debian.org
References: <4E4E858D.80304@gmail.com> <handler.638312.B638312.13137688633101.ackinfo@bug s.debian.org>
In-Reply-To: <handler.638312.B638312.13137688633101.ackinfo@bug s.debian.org>
X-Enigmail-Version: 1.1.2
Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg=pgp-sha1;
protocol="application/pgp-signature";
boundary="------------enigE1671E9D9DF81096CBBE3327"
X-Rc-Virus: 2007-09-13_01
X-Mailing-List: <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org> archive/latest/73789
X-Loop: debian-kernel@lists.debian.org
List-Id: <debian-kernel.lists.debian.org>
List-URL: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/>
List-Post: <mailto:debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>
List-Help: <mailto:debian-kernel-request@lists.debian.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:debian-kernel-request@lists.debian.org?subject=subscribe>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:debian-kernel-request@lists.debian.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Precedence: list
Resent-Sender: debian-kernel-request@lists.debian.org

This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
--------------enigE1671E9D9DF81096CBBE3327
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,

Freedesktop bug has been filed, here it is:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40241

Cheers,
NicolaF

Le 19/08/2011 17:51, Debian Bug Tracking System a écrit :
> Thank you for the additional information you have supplied regarding
> this Bug report.
>
> This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
> has been received.
>
> Your message is being forwarded to the package maintainers and other
> interested parties for their attention; they will reply in due course.
>
> Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
> Debian Kernel Team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>
>
> If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
> send it to 638312@bugs.debian.org.
>
> Please do not send mail to owner@bugs.debian.org unless you wish
> to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.
>


--------------enigE1671E9D9DF81096CBBE3327
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAk5OojIACgkQBovTtxrbi8J3XwCg3Wou3wy8dN 5Mjp2cT9nKT1K7
XQ0AnjIeMVTZrN0N5YShEUyQLgk7ay5K
=FNlv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--------------enigE1671E9D9DF81096CBBE3327--



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E4EA22C.8050008@gmail.com
 
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

On 20/08/11 03:50, consul tores wrote:
> 2011/8/18 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>> On 19/08/11 04:01, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>> I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.

<snipped>

>>
>
> Some people think that both, could be a security risk, because they
> run under java, Is not it?
>
>
Wow! You don't half like to load and sophist-i-cate a question do you? :-D

Noscript does not run "under" Java.

People *can* be a security risk, but not necessarily because they run
under java.

I would not trust people who ran under flash.

Cheers

--
"You ever look at their faces? "We're pro-life." Don't they look it?
Don't they just exude joie de vivre?"
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E4F233C.2050405@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E4F233C.2050405@gmail.com
 
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 AM
consul tores
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

2011/8/19 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
> On 20/08/11 03:50, consul tores wrote:
>> 2011/8/18 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>>> On 19/08/11 04:01, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>>> I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.
>
> <snipped>
>
>>>
>>
>> Some people think that both, could be a security risk, because they
>> run under java, Is not it?
>>
>>
> Wow! You don't half like to load and sophist-i-cate a question do you? :-D

I do not understand what you say, but it could be assumed as a joke,
by convenience.

> Noscript does not run "under" Java.

Well, If you say that, I can not confirm it, but read this:
http://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users
http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/05/01/236248/NoScript-Adds-Subscriptions-To-Adblock-Plus
http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126

I am not a programer, then i trust Debian developers and maintainers,
but it reading information some things seem real.


> People *can* be a security risk, but not necessarily because they run
> under java.
>
> I would not trust people who ran under flash.
>
> Cheers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAFxkjq=dH7vazuQkg4-2LCO3aE1A0SXP8oiWoTHBT2GcNwPJ7w@mail.gmail.com">ht tp://lists.debian.org/CAFxkjq=dH7vazuQkg4-2LCO3aE1A0SXP8oiWoTHBT2GcNwPJ7w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default OT questions about noscript and notscript

On 21/08/11 19:10, consul tores wrote:
> 2011/8/19 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>> On 20/08/11 03:50, consul tores wrote:
>>> 2011/8/18 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>>>> On 19/08/11 04:01, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>>>> I'm curious about the differences between noscript and notscript.
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Some people think that both, could be a security risk, because they
>>> run under java, Is not it?
>>>
>>>
>> Wow! You don't half like to load and sophist-i-cate a question do you? :-D
>
> I do not understand what you say, but it could be assumed as a joke,


It was/is difficult to understand what you were asking, and you made it
conditional on both programs running "under" Java.

> by convenience.

Thank you.

>
>> Noscript does not run "under" Java.
>
> Well, If you say that, I can not confirm it,

NoScript is in the Debian repository. You can also just disable, remove,
or uninstall Java.
I don't know about the similarly named, not-similar, NotScript - I
"suspect" it doesn't run "under" Java either, but I'm not about to
install either of them in order to check ;-p

> but read this:
> http://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users

See:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript#Criticism
for a slightly more balanced take.

> http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/05/01/236248/NoScript-Adds-Subscriptions-To-Adblock-Plus

ditto, note that 2 years have passed an no other scandals have emerged -
and more people are paying attention now.

> http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126

This last one just lost me...
>
> I am not a programer, then i trust Debian developers and maintainers,
> but it reading information some things seem real.


I saw nothing in the provided links about java.
The third link is to the blog of the noscript developer.

Any program has security risks - it's a broad term. For general desktop
and business purposes I "believe" noscript poses (far) less risks than
it negates.
A good analogy would be looking before crossing the road - the eyes can
play tricks but....
The first two links just illustrate the reasons why Open Source is a
good development model - problems where quickly spotted and corrected.
>
>
<snipped>

Cheers


--
"Do a commercial, you're off the artistic roll call, every word you say
is suspect, you're a corporate whore and eh, end of story."
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E50D7AE.4010302@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E50D7AE.4010302@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org