Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
M Stefan

Default Fan not working properly on Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello,

I own a Dell Inspiron N5010 with a Core i5 M450 (2.4GHz) CPU

and my cooler does not appear to work properly on Debian 6.0.1 (2.6.32-5-amd64).

I have built the latest version of lm-sensors (as opposed to getting the old packaged one

via apt-get, which didn't find any sensors), and `sensors-detect' finds a single sensor,

"Intel digital thermal sensor" (driver coretemp), as well as some other unknown chip.

Although the `sensors' command is capable of measuring my CPU temperature, I cannot

seem to be able to load the coretemp module into the kernel. coretemp is located at

/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko, yet modprobe coretemp

yields:

FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): No such device

I have tried compiling a newer version of coretemp without much success (I assume I

need to rebuild some other stuff too, I tried the coretemp from linux3.0's git repo).

I'm not sure why my cooler does not seem to properly work on Debian, so I thought

that maybe loading the coretemp module would help with my problem. I'm currently

running an actual fan behind my laptop so it doesn't shut down (temperature is usually

at 80C, but after a while it gets to 102C, at which point the kernel announces that it

has reached the critical value in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/trip_points and shuts down to

prevent damage).

This is most surely not a hardware issue, as I'm normally using Windows 7 and I have

no heating issues there. This is a nearly fresh installation of Debian, and `top' shows

a low CPU usage, so this is not caused by doing some really cpu-intensive tasks either.

I'm not sure exactly what additional information should I provide to properly diagnose

this problem, so please let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Any help is appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

*Stefan M