Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Heddle Weaver

Default Fwd: Billion 7800N

Here's your problem. eth0 has no address. The only IPv4 connectivity you

have is to 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 via lo (below). Your computer has no way

to reach 192.168.1.254 so is legitimately returning "Network is

unreachable".

Try the following command:

# ip addr add 192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 dev eth0

Done!and /sbin/ifconfig now looks like this:

Bandit:/home/weaver# /sbin/ifconfigeth0 ┬* ┬* ┬*Link encap:Ethernet ┬*HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46 ┬*
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* inet addr:192.168.1.1 ┬*Bcast:192.168.1.255 ┬*Mask:255.255.255.255┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* inet6 addr: fe80::215:60ff:fec2:6346/64 Scope:Link
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST ┬*MTU:1500 ┬*Metric:1┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* RX packets:143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* TX packets:113 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000┬*
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* RX bytes:21888 (21.3 KiB) ┬*TX bytes:21435 (20.9 KiB)┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* Interrupt:16┬*

lo ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*Link encap:Local Loopback ┬*┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* inet addr:127.0.0.1 ┬*Mask:255.0.0.0
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ┬*MTU:16436 ┬*Metric:1
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* RX packets:12246 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* TX packets:12246 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0┬*┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* RX bytes:955628 (933.2 KiB) ┬*TX bytes:955628 (933.2 KiB)
┬*

then point your web browser to "http://192.168.1.254".
With two separate browsers, the same message - "Network is unreachable"
Restarted the modem, same result.┬*As Camal├ęon and

others have pointed out, you need to have an address on the same subnet

as your router to be able to talk to it. Often, this is done with DHCP,

but you may not have that set up if you've previously configured the

router.

This is brand new.The second one after I took the first one back, thinking it had a firmware problem.┬*
Thanks.Regards,
Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

ÔÇö Lucius Ann├Žus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Camaleˇn

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:47:06 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

>> Here's your problem. eth0 has no address. The only IPv4 connectivity
>> you have is to 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 via lo (below). Your computer has no
>> way to reach 192.168.1.254 so is legitimately returning "Network is
>> unreachable".
>>
>> Try the following command:
>>
>> # ip addr add 192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 dev eth0
>>

> Done!
> and /sbin/ifconfig now looks like this:

(...)

>> then point your web browser to "http://192.168.1.254".
>

> With two separate browsers, the same message - "Network is unreachable"
> Restarted the modem, same result.

(...)

That's very weird... can you access to that same IP (192.168.1.254) from
another computer in the network?

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 11 August 2011 00:01, Camale├│n <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> then point your web browser to "http://192.168.1.254".

> With two separate browsers, the same message - "Network is unreachable"

> Restarted the modem, same result.

(...)

That's very weird... can you access to that same IP (192.168.1.254) from

another computer in the network?

I'm afraid that is the network.Just a laptop and the modem.I've even borrowed a card and tried a connection through 'eth1' to avoid any port problem potentials also.
No different reaction.Thanks.Regards,
Weaver--┬*
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

ÔÇö Lucius Ann├Žus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Camaleˇn

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:51:25 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

>> > With two separate browsers, the same message - "Network is
>> > unreachable" Restarted the modem, same result.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> That's very weird... can you access to that same IP (192.168.1.254)
>> from another computer in the network?
>>

> I'm afraid that is the network.
> Just a laptop and the modem.

It would be nice if you can bring up another computer and connect it to
the same switch to verify if it works or not.

> I've even borrowed a card and tried a connection through 'eth1' to avoid
> any port problem potentials also.
> No different reaction.

I assume you have one computer that is connected to one of the ethernet
ports of the router, right? If that's the case, and you already reviewed
all of the external symptoms (e.g., network sockets blink when a cable is
attached in both ends) there can be happening one of these situations:

- The router has no DHCP server enabled and it is configured to listen in
another IP address that you don't remember.

If this is the case, a reset could be the fatest way to recover from this
but be careful with resetting because it can delete your ISP connection
settings, so if you are not sure what data do you require to setup your
WAN interface, call to service support so thay can guide you -step by
step- with a reset procedure.

Another option can be also to use a network device discover tool (like
angry ip scanner) to find whee is your router located.

- The router is locked/blocked somehow and does not respond to pings. Try
by power cycling it and check if you can now reach it.

- The router can be broken, request for a replacement.

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 13 August 2011 01:44, Camale├│n <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > With two separate browsers, the same message - "Network is

>> > unreachable" Restarted the modem, same result.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> That's very weird... can you access to that same IP (192.168.1.254)
>> from another computer in the network?

> I'm afraid that is the network.
> Just a laptop and the modem.

It would be nice if you can bring up another computer and connect it to
the same switch to verify if it works or not.

> I've even borrowed a card and tried a connection through 'eth1' to avoid
> any port problem potentials also.
> No different reaction.

I assume you have one computer that is connected to one of the ethernet

ports of the router, right?
┬*
Yes.
┬*
If that's the case, and you already reviewed
all of the external symptoms (e.g., network sockets blink when a cable is

attached in both ends) there can be happening one of these situations:

- The router has no DHCP server enabled and it is configured to listen in
another IP address that you don't remember.

┬*
It's brand new and never been configured before.

If this is the case, a reset could be the fatest way to recover from this
but be careful with resetting because it can delete your ISP connection

settings, so if you are not sure what data do you require to setup your
WAN interface, call to service support so thay can guide you -step by
step- with a reset procedure.

Another option can be also to use a network device discover tool (like

angry ip scanner) to find whee is your router located.

- The router is locked/blocked somehow and does not respond to pings. Try
by power cycling it and check if you can now reach it.

┬*
yes,I've tried all this, swapped cables everything.

- The router can be broken, request for a replacement.

┬*
No, at least part of the router is fine.
I've just borrowed somebodies XP laptop and been able to establish a wireless connection that I'm sending this on.
┬*
I've got a new (well, new, secondhand) laptop coming in a fortnight. I might have to hang out till then.
Thanks.
Regards,
┬*
Weaver.--