Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Heddle Weaver

Default Fwd: Billion 7800N

On 31/08/2011, D G Teed <donald.teed@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Andrew McGlashan
>>

>> I cannot believe this thread is still going -- it is way beyond funny now
>> it's ludicrous to say the least!!!!
>>
>> Your Ethernet device is broken and if it is not broken, then get someone
>> else to fix this problem for you as you are only going around in circles
>> and
>> getting nowhere.
>>

> I should add, your earlier suggestion to boot from a Live CD is a very good
> one.
>
> It would provide a very quick method to determine if the hardware
> or the OS install was faulty. If the Live CD works to get on the 'net,
> then the notebook hardware is fine and the install/configuration is botched.

Yes, I wanted to try this earlier, but had no way to download an iso.

But, as things have turned out, there's no longer a problem.
As the wheezy weekly build netinstall couldn't seem to see the XP
partition on the PC, I was forced to install Debian on the laptop.
I did an expert install and besides not selecting kernel options like
remote install through ssh, I also foregoed ppp and pppd-udeb
installs. Dhcp picked up the router during network detection
automagically and I'm posting this from the laptop on a wheezy install
on a stable, consistent connection.

My humble thanks to all for the time and trouble they've put in.
It has been much appreciated.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,