Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Heddle Weaver

Default Fwd: Billion 7800N

On 15 August 2011 21:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 06:28:26 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 14 August 2011 14:42, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 13 August 2011 01:44, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> After configuring the modem through XP laptop, I can now access the net

>> through my Debian laptop.

>> The connection is very glitchy - lots of 'time-outs' - but a definite

>> improvement.

>> At least I have access.

>> I'll just have to iron out the bugs, now, but it's been quite a

>> different experience.

> Here would appear to be the problem.

> I can access the net.

> Some sites I have absolutely no problem with and others just time out.

> This is with bookmarks I've had regular and unimpeded access to in the

> past.

Timeouts for "some" sites may require more debugging. A site can be

having any problem or your ISP may be having a routing issue with that

specific server... hard to tell what can be happening.

debian.org
Al Jazeera English
Oxford Dictionaries Online
My ISP's home page
Just for a few examples. This is not the connection, because I get other pages consistently, but these I am unable to gain access to at all over many attempts.

If using Firefox, you can just disable ipv6 because some sites become

painfully slow when this is enabled (about:config → filter by "ipv6" →

and set "network.dns.disableIPv6" to "true"). After that, restart Firefox/

Iceweasel.

> And I *still *can't access the modem interface in Debian.

> So, it's looking like a system glitch still.

This is what puzzles me because I definitely see no (good|logical) reason

for not getting access to the web interface from Debian. Ethernet is one

of the most standarized technologies out there so I dunno what can be

happening with that DSL modem.

Have you tried to get access by telnet ("telnet 192.168.1.254"). Some

routers do also allow to be managed in this way :-?

weaver@Bandit:~$ su
Password:
Bandit:/home/weaver# telnet 192.168.1.254
Trying 192.168.1.254...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

Bandit:/home/weaver#*

The latest hint is this pop-up when the browser is loading:
*
Unexpected error updating default notary_list from web: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDataSignatureVerifier.verifyData]"* nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"* location: "JS frame :: chrome://perspectives/content/common.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 185"* data: no]

At this stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the modem. Especially when it is considered that:
This is another new modem, as an exchange for another new one of the same type that I got the same behaviour from;
These modems are noted as being a good model;
I have been able to get an immediate connection to the modem from another laptop with M$'s XP.I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the fact that it is SID doesn't account for.

Thanks for your attempts.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 03:56:46 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 15 August 2011 21:34, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Timeouts for "some" sites may require more debugging. A site can be
>> having any problem or your ISP may be having a routing issue with that
>> specific server... hard to tell what can be happening.
>>

> debian.org
> Al Jazeera English
> Oxford Dictionaries Online
> My ISP's home page
> Just for a few examples. This is not the connection, because I get other
> pages consistently, but these I am unable to gain access to at all over
> many attempts.

For that failing sites you can run the typical network tests, like a
traceroute, a ping, a dns resolution... also, try with different browsers
(Opera, Firefox and Chrome) and you can even use an online proxy.

>> > And I *still *can't access the modem interface in Debian.
>> >
>> > So, it's looking like a system glitch still.
>>
>> This is what puzzles me because I definitely see no (good|logical)
>> reason for not getting access to the web interface from Debian.
>> Ethernet is one of the most standarized technologies out there so I
>> dunno what can be happening with that DSL modem.
>>
>> Have you tried to get access by telnet ("telnet 192.168.1.254"). Some
>> routers do also allow to be managed in this way :-?
>>

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su
> Password:
> Bandit:/home/weaver# telnet 192.168.1.254 Trying 192.168.1.254...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
> Bandit:/home/weaver#

Okay, so it seems there is no telnet service available in route :-)

How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

> The latest hint is this pop-up when the browser is loading:
>
> Unexpected error updating default notary_list from web: [Exception...
> "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
> [nsIDataSignatureVerifier.verifyData]" nsresult: "0x80004005
> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
> chrome://perspectives/content/common.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 185"
> data: no]

Looks like a javascript error/warning but not enough to tell if just this
can prevent the whole page from loading :-?

> At this stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the modem.
> Especially when it is considered that:
>
> - This is another new modem, as an exchange for another new one of
> the same type that I got the same behaviour from;
> - These modems are noted as being a good model;
>

> - I have been able to get an immediate connection to the modem from
> another laptop with M$'s XP.
>
> I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the
> fact that it is SID doesn't account for.

Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem here.
If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can ping/reach your
DSL router you should get the same you get when using a Windows client.

There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely its
best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for special
drivers :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 03:56:46 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 15 August 2011 21:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay, so it seems there is no telnet service available in route :-)

How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

weaver@Bandit:~$ su
Password:
Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254
--2011-08-16 06:06:49--* http://192.168.1.254/

Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

--2011-08-16 06:07:36--* (try: 2)* http://192.168.1.254/

--2011-08-16 06:08:23--* (try: 3)* http://192.168.1.254/
Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.
*

> The latest hint is this pop-up when the browser is loading:

> Unexpected error updating default notary_list from web: [Exception...

> "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

> [nsIDataSignatureVerifier.verifyData]" *nsresult: "0x80004005

> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" *location: "JS frame ::

> chrome://perspectives/content/common.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 185"

> data: no]

Looks like a _javascript_ error/warning but not enough to tell if just this

can prevent the whole page from loading :-?

> At this stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the modem.

> Especially when it is considered that:

> * *- This is another new modem, as an exchange for another new one of

> * *the same type that I got the same behaviour from;

> * *- These modems are noted as being a good model;

> * *- I have been able to get an immediate connection to the modem from

> * *another laptop with M$'s XP.

> I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the

> fact that it is SID doesn't account for.

Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem here.

If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can ping/reach your

DSL router you should get the same you get when using a Windows client.

There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely its

best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for special

drivers :-)

I'm thinking it must be something under the network config.
Something in the O.S. itself that has come adrift.
I'll try a reinstall.
My /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would otherwise.

Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:18:01 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?
>>

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su
> Password:
> Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--
> http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:
> Connection timed out. Retrying.
>
> --2011-08-16 06:07:36-- (try: 2) http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to
> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>
> --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- (try: 3) http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to
> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?

(...)

>> > I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the
>> > fact that it is SID doesn't account for.
>>
>> Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem
>> here. If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can
>> ping/reach your DSL router you should get the same you get when using a
>> Windows client.
>>
>> There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely
>> its best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for
>> special drivers :-)
>>

> I'm thinking it must be something under the network config. Something in
> the O.S. itself that has come adrift. I'll try a reinstall.
> My /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a
> reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would otherwise.

Reinstalling is a "no-no" in the linux ecosphere, is the last resort for
the brave and valiants riders (just kidding :-P)... and in this case I'm
afraid you won't obtain any gain in doing it. You better hang in there
and try to solve the mistery by yourself :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:18:01 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su

> Password:

> Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--

> http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:

> Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:07:36-- *(try: 2) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- *(try: 3) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?

Yes, because I'm still getting some connections. Every now and again, I get some connections I haven't been able to, e.g., This is the first time I've been able to get access to gmail for two days.

(...)

>> > I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the

>> > fact that it is SID doesn't account for.

>> Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem

>> here. If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can

>> ping/reach your DSL router you should get the same you get when using a

>> Windows client.

>> There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely

>> its best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for

>> special drivers :-)

> I'm thinking it must be something under the network config. Something in

> the O.S. itself that has come adrift. I'll try a reinstall.

> My /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a

> reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would otherwise.

Reinstalling is a "no-no" in the linux ecosphere, is the last resort for

the brave and valiants riders (just kidding :-P)... and in this case I'm

afraid you won't obtain any gain in doing it. You better hang in there

and try to solve the mistery by yourself :-)

I understand, but I notice things like the port light on a the laptop's ethernet outlet doesn't seem as busy as it should be and I suspect that, in an eight year old laptop, the main-board may have problems. This is beyond the Lone Ranger, or even the Silver Surfer to solve with a script or two.

Regards,

Weaver

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:18:01 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su

> Password:

> Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--

> http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:

> Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:07:36-- *(try: 2) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- *(try: 3) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?

Now I'm getting this from /sbin/ifconfig:

Bandit:/home/weaver# /sbin/ifconfig
eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46*

********* inet6 addr: fe80::215:60ff:fec2:6346/64 Scope:Link
********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX packets:358255 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:198906 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX bytes:486741086 (464.1 MiB)* TX bytes:19033571 (18.1 MiB)
********* Interrupt:16

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0

********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX bytes:20313 (19.8 KiB)* TX bytes:20313 (19.8 KiB)

ppp0***** Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol*
********* inet addr:110.174.203.247* P-t-P:10.20.21.36* Mask:255.255.255.255

********* UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST* MTU:1492* Metric:1
********* RX packets:14792 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

********* RX bytes:1526259 (1.4 MiB)* TX bytes:1260 (1.2 KiB)

ppp1***** Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol*
********* inet addr:110.174.203.247* P-t-P:10.20.21.36* Mask:255.255.255.255
********* UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST* MTU:1492* Metric:1

********* RX packets:332680 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:190996 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
********* RX bytes:475301403 (453.2 MiB)* TX bytes:13559111 (12.9 MiB)

And I can't see the address anywhere.
Also, according to the manual, the mask address is supposed to be 225.25.225.0

There is something evil happening.
I can't actually remember adjusting anything, yet the connection, far from good, is the best I've had so far.

Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:18:01 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su

> Password:

> Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--

> http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:

> Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:07:36-- *(try: 2) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

> --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- *(try: 3) *http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to

> 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?

I don't know what's happening any more.
I think I'm being haunted.

I've just reset the modem to see if I could access the modem url to set it up properly.

I've got four green leds up, Power; Lan; Wireless (The laptop doesn't have a wireless card) DSL.
The 5th light is for 'net, and it's orange, which means no connection, but I'm sending this on my gmail account through that same laptop.

I'm going to need more than a pair of low-slung six-guns to get me out of this!
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:18:37 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > weaver@Bandit:~$ su
>> > Password:
>> > Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--
>> > http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:
>> > Connection timed out. Retrying.
>> >
>> > --2011-08-16 06:07:36-- (try: 2) http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting
>> > to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>> >
>> > --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- (try: 3) http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting
>> > to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>>
>> Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?
>>

> Yes, because I'm still getting some connections. Every now and again, I
> get some connections I haven't been able to, e.g., This is the first
> time I've been able to get access to gmail for two days.

That's so weird. I would try with another ethernet interface (if you're
running a laptop, there are some cheap USB to RJ-45 adapters).

>> > I'm thinking it must be something under the network config. Something
>> > in the O.S. itself that has come adrift. I'll try a reinstall. My
>> > /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a
>> > reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would
>> > otherwise.
>>
>> Reinstalling is a "no-no" in the linux ecosphere, is the last resort
>> for the brave and valiants riders (just kidding :-P)... and in this
>> case I'm afraid you won't obtain any gain in doing it. You better hang
>> in there and try to solve the mistery by yourself :-)
>>

> I understand, but I notice things like the port light on a the laptop's
> ethernet outlet doesn't seem as busy as it should be and I suspect that,
> in an eight year old laptop, the main-board may have problems. This is
> beyond the Lone Ranger, or even the Silver Surfer to solve with a script
> or two. Regards,

If you're facing a hardware issue here, reinstalling won't solve so
much ;-(. Anyway, better that reinstalling is testing a LiveCD of your
choice, it's a less-aggressive approach.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:54:13 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > --2011-08-16 06:08:23-- (try: 3) http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting
>> > to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>>
>> Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?
>>

> Now I'm getting this from /sbin/ifconfig:

(...)

Wait... what are those "pppx" connections? Where are they coming from?
Are you using another device to get connected on Internet?

> And I can't see the address anywhere. Also, according to the manual, the
> mask address is supposed to be 225.25.225.0
>
> There is something evil happening.
> I can't actually remember adjusting anything, yet the connection, far
> from good, is the best I've had so far.

The above data is very clear: your ethernet device has lost (again) its
configuration. what I dunno is what are the remainder ppp connections :-?

Can you explain how did you connect your windows computer to Internet?
What steps did you follow? Maybe this way we can understand what is going
on...

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:02:17 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> I don't know what's happening any more. I think I'm being haunted.

Greemlins are anywhere and they like computers so much, keep your eyes
opened! X-)

> I've just reset the modem to see if I could access the modem url to set
> it up properly.

Hum... I hope the router restores fine from a reset with all the wan
settings already predefined for your ISP. Resetting the router is not a
task you have to do every day, just avoid to do that unless is strictly
necessary :-)

> I've got four green leds up, Power; Lan; Wireless (The laptop doesn't
> have a wireless card) DSL.
> The 5th light is for 'net, and it's orange, which means no connection,
> but I'm sending this on my gmail account through that same laptop.
>
> I'm going to need more than a pair of low-slung six-guns to get me out
> of this!

Usually, the orange light of the Internet port means the router is trying
to get an IP for the ISP, after a reset this can be normal.

And don't worry for Gmail, this is another "beast" and does its own
"caching magic" in the background...

Greetings,

--
Camalen