Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Heddle Weaver

Default Billion 7800N

Hello everyone,

I've run into a few hiccups with a new modem, as specified in the subject line.
I simply can't access the modem interface with a browser, in order to
configure it and yes, I've tried four different browsers.
At this rate SID is going to be frozen before I get back online.

I thought it must be a firmware problem, but a swap model from the
supplier didn't produce anything new.
Hooking it up to a windows comp., detection is no problem, so
something else would appear to be remiss.
As no DSL facility wasn't available at the time, I couldn't configure
the modem with M$ and then bring it back home, as the config asks for
a username, then goes hunting for a DSL line, before asking for a
password to allow access.

I've contacted Billion, but so far they haven't provided anything productive.
As I can't even access it, a firmware upgrade flash and reset is a
little difficult.

I understand it's a good modem, so I'd rather overcome the situation
than try another modem option and as the budget is restrictive at the
moment, I can't afford that anyway.
Appreciate any ideas.
Thanks for any time and trouble.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 01:48:35PM +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've run into a few hiccups with a new modem, as specified in the subject line.
> I simply can't access the modem interface with a browser, in order to
> configure it and yes, I've tried four different browsers.
> At this rate SID is going to be frozen before I get back online.
>
> I thought it must be a firmware problem, but a swap model from the
> supplier didn't produce anything new.
> Hooking it up to a windows comp., detection is no problem, so
> something else would appear to be remiss.
> As no DSL facility wasn't available at the time, I couldn't configure
> the modem with M$ and then bring it back home, as the config asks for
> a username, then goes hunting for a DSL line, before asking for a
> password to allow access.
>
> I've contacted Billion, but so far they haven't provided anything productive.
> As I can't even access it, a firmware upgrade flash and reset is a
> little difficult.
>
> I understand it's a good modem, so I'd rather overcome the situation
> than try another modem option and as the budget is restrictive at the
> moment, I can't afford that anyway.
> Appreciate any ideas.
> Thanks for any time and trouble.
> Regards,
>
> Weaver.
> --
>
> Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
> by the wise as false,
> and by the rulers as useful.
>
> — Lucius Annæus Seneca.
>
> Terrorism, the new religion.

It could be that it's relying on Windows-only drivers - though that's less likely these days.

It's probably that the Web page is crafted for Internet Explorer with ActiveX or some Microsoft quirk.
Borrow a laptop from a neighbour / your friendly computer dealer which runs Windows to install it and configure it
and do firmware updates - thereafter you may be lucky and find that it "just works" under Linux.

I suspect the problem is short sighted manufacturer and bad web interface ddesigners.

Andy C

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Gavin Elliot Jones

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 06:57:20AM +0100, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> It could be that it's relying on Windows-only drivers - though that's less likely these days.
>
> It's probably that the Web page is crafted for Internet Explorer with ActiveX or some Microsoft quirk.
> Borrow a laptop from a neighbour / your friendly computer dealer which runs Windows to install it and configure it
> and do firmware updates - thereafter you may be lucky and find that it "just works" under Linux.
>
> I suspect the problem is short sighted manufacturer and bad web interface ddesigners.
>
> Andy C

I also have a Billion 7800N and can access the web interface just fine.
I use a mixture of Debian stable and Ubuntu 11.04 and it works without
problem.

The 7800N has 5 ethernet ports on the back, one of which is set up to be
a cable WAN port (with the other four being ports on the gigabit
switch). Perhaps you've connected your computer to that WAN port by
mistake?

Gavin

Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:48:35 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> I've run into a few hiccups with a new modem, as specified in the
> subject line.

This one?

http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/bipac7800n.php

> I simply can't access the modem interface with a browser,
> in order to configure it and yes, I've tried four different browsers. At
> this rate SID is going to be frozen before I get back online.

(...)

Manual says that your router is available at "192.168.1.254", so your
network adapter has to have an IP address assigned inside that range.

Have you tried to ping it?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 5 August 2011 00:55, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:48:35 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
>
>> I've run into a few hiccups with a new modem, as specified in the

>> subject line.
>
> This one?
>
> http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/bipac7800n.php

Yep! That's the one.

>> I simply can't access the modem interface with a browser,
>> in order to configure it and yes, I've tried four different browsers. At
>> this rate SID is going to be frozen before I get back online.

> (...)
>
> Manual says that your router is available at "192.168.1.254", so your
> network adapter has to have an IP address assigned inside that range.
>
> Have you tried to ping it?

Like an idiot, no!Thanks, Cam.Regards,
Weaver.--
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

On Dom, 28 Ago 2011, Heddle Weaver wrote:

O.K.I removed ppp, as it wasn't required, which, of course, removed pppoe
and pppoeconf, because they depend on it and now I have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# route -n

Kernel IP routing table

Bandit:/home/weaver#

.....No ppp!

Isn't it great?

And then, of course, we have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46

[and so on]

You seem to be missing dhcp. Your /etc/network/interfaces should have
these lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

--
Must be over 21.
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Archive: 20110829095604.Horde.d9-yG8m_qOVOW4xkVRXAy5A@mail.kalinowski.com.br">http://lists.debian.org/20110829095604.Horde.d9-yG8m_qOVOW4xkVRXAy5A@mail.kalinowski.com.br

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 29 August 2011 22:56, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

On Dom, 28 Ago 2011, Heddle Weaver wrote:

O.K.I removed ppp, as it wasn't required, which, of course, removed pppoe
and pppoeconf, because they depend on it and now I have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# route -n

Kernel IP routing table

Bandit:/home/weaver#

.....No ppp!

Isn't it great?

And then, of course, we have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46

[and so on]

You seem to be missing dhcp. Your /etc/network/interfaces should have these lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

*
Well, it does.
But that's all it has.
Work in progress and will advise of outcomes.
Regards and thanks,
*
Weaver.--
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Camalen

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:52:43 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 29 August 2011 22:56, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>wrote:
>
>> On Dom, 28 Ago 2011, Heddle Weaver wrote:
>>
>>> O.K.I removed ppp, as it wasn't required,

Not at all because the router should have a ppp client embedded and
already setup.

>>> which, of course, removed
>>> pppoe and pppoeconf, because they depend on it and now I have:
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver# route -n
>>>
>>> Kernel IP routing table
>>>
>>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver#
>>>
>>> .....No ppp!
>>>
>>> Isn't it great?

It's fantastic :-P

>>> And then, of course, we have:
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a
>>>
>>> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46
>>>
>>> [and so on]
>>>

>> You seem to be missing dhcp. Your /etc/network/interfaces should have
>> these lines
>>
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>

> Well, it does.
> But that's all it has.
> Work in progress and will advise of outcomes. Regards and thanks,
>
> Weaver.

Well, you need to understand what it is going on.

- pppd service is removed because your device is not a modem but a router
and you don't need to run this service on the client (the same way you
don't run it in windows, right?)

- Your ethernet card needs to be filled with data, and you can do this by
using dhcp or by manually adding the data.

So start by giving us the output of:

cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
ifconfig eth0