Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 AM

Default LVM Recovery

I had a drive crash and it had a little bit of a LVM volume on it. The
drive that contains most of it still survives.

Can anyone quickly outline what to do to get the survivor attached to
LVM and
working again? LVM has completely forgotten about it.

TIA!
Dennis

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/28/11 at 07:36pm, wix@mgssub.com wrote:
> I had a drive crash and it had a little bit of a LVM volume on it. The
> drive that contains most of it still survives.
>
> Can anyone quickly outline what to do to get the survivor attached to
> LVM and
> working again? LVM has completely forgotten about it.

Post your vgdisplay/lvdisplay outputs to start. It shouldn't have 'forgotten'
about it, you should have gotten an error about missing PVs.

I am correct in assuming you had a VG of multiple PVs, and an LV carved from
that, and one of your PVs is now dead? This is akin to losing the second drive
in a RAID 0.. not usually recoverable. Perhaps you can manually set up your LV
again and truncate the missing bit with resize2fs? You would start by plugging
in a replacement drive and restoring your config from backup with vgcfgrestore.

--
Liam