Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Mahesh T Pai

Default Can't smoothly type in gnome-terminal

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> somewhat different hardware (AMD + radeon + USB keyboard vs. Intel +
> i915 + PS/2 keyboard -- I mention those details because it might be
> related to X / input handling...).

WHich version of libgnomekbd?

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||
That men do not learn much from the lessons of history is the most

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Miles Bader

Mahesh T Pai <paivakil@gmail.com> writes:
> > somewhat different hardware (AMD + radeon + USB keyboard vs. Intel +
> > i915 + PS/2 keyboard -- I mention those details because it might be
> > related to X / input handling...).
>
> WHich version of libgnomekbd?

2.91.91-2

-miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature
of the Unknowable.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Mahesh T Pai

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

>> WHich version of libgnomekbd?
>
> 2.91.91-2

I use 2.30.2-2

Probably, that makes a difference.

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'etre.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Miles Bader

Mahesh T Pai <paivakil@gmail.com> writes:
>>> WHich version of libgnomekbd?
>>
> > 2.91.91-2
>
> I use 2.30.2-2
>
> Probably, that makes a difference.

Upgrading (and then rebooting) that doesn't make any difference.

Indeed, AFAICT, gnome-terminal doesn't seem use libgnomekbd:

$ ldd /usr/bin/gnome-terminal | grep kbd
$

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Chris

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 03:38:41PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Chris <bbshliu@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi, I'm a user of gnome-terminal. Currently the version is 3.0.1-1.
> >
> > Now if I try to type any characters, I just get part of them typed
> > in. For example, if I type "ls", only "s" typed in. If I continuously
> > type "asdf", only "as" typed in. The result seemd to be random.
>
> I have this problem too:

> Very annoying (there are a lot of decent terminal programs in Debian,
> but gnome-terminal is still the nicest I've found).
>
> -Miles

According to a reply to bug #631116, installing ibus-gtk3 solved the
typing issue for me. But the bad style is still here. A reboot makes
no difference.
--
Chris <bbshliu@gmail.com>

Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Miles Bader

Chris <bbshliu@gmail.com> writes:
> According to a reply to bug #631116, installing ibus-gtk3 solved the
> typing issue for me. But the bad style is still here. A reboot makes
> no difference.

[Argh, even though I'm the original bug reporter for #631116, I didn't
get any of the email followups, so I didn't seem those replies until you
mentioned them! Some stupid spam filter crap no doubt... Spammers
... must .... die....]

That solves it for me too:

env -u XMODIFIERS gnome-terminal &

... of course that means I can't use SCIM in gnome-terminal, ... not
such a big deal really, but no doubt I'll sometime want to use it in a
program I start _from_ a gnome-terminal, and forget to re-set
XMODIFIERS... bleah...

So what exactly is gnome-terminal screwing up here...? Why does
disabling SCIM solve it?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Neighbor, n. One whom we are commanded to love as ourselves, and who does all
he knows how to make us disobedient.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 05 juillet 2011 Ă* 13:03 +0900, Miles Bader a Ă©crit :
> Chris <bbshliu@gmail.com> writes:
> > According to a reply to bug #631116, installing ibus-gtk3 solved the
> > typing issue for me. But the bad style is still here. A reboot makes
> > no difference.

As for the theme, the only available theme for GTK3 at the moment is
Adwaita, so you need to use this one.

> [Argh, even though I'm the original bug reporter for #631116, I didn't
> get any of the email followups, so I didn't seem those replies until you
> mentioned them! Some stupid spam filter crap no doubt... Spammers
> ... must .... die....]

No, this is because of #434257. The debbugs developers don’t want to fix
their software.

> So what exactly is gnome-terminal screwing up here...? Why does
> disabling SCIM solve it?

As mentioned in the bug log, SCIM doesn’t provide a GTK3 module.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

>> [Argh, even though I'm the original bug reporter for #631116, I didn't
>> get any of the email followups, so I didn't seem those replies until you
>> mentioned them! Â*Some stupid spam filter crap no doubt... Spammers
>> ... must .... die....]
>
> No, this is because of #434257. The debbugs developers don’t want to fix
> their software.

Their rationale's bizarre to say the least but it's their package so
it's their decision...

Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Tom H

Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM