-   -   I have big problem choose corect distribution Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/545775-i-have-big-problem-choose-corect-distribution-debian.html)

William Hopkins 06-29-2011 12:07 AM

On 06/28/11 at 10:37pm, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> lee:
> > Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:
> >
> >> Depending on what you want to use the machine for, you may be better
> >> off using something like Damn Small Linux or even OpenWrt. When using
> >> Debian, you will have to tweak the system quite a bit to ensure it
> >> runs as fast as possible.
> >
> > Would starting with a minimal installation and adding only the needed
> > packages later require much tweaking?
>
> I knew someone would ask that question. :) Ok, I'll bite.
>
> I'll try it using qemu. Wait a minute … The system is already swapping
> while d-i is running. :) And installation takes ages, even on a Core2Duo
> core at 2.4GHz and an Intel SSD. I didn't install any tasks, not even
> the "Standard system utilities".
>
> Result: installation size of 384MB and only 8MB of RAM in use! That's a
> lot less than I expected.
>
> Nevertheless, one should probably at least disable the installation of
> Recommends and you have to be very picky about packages to install. I
> wouldn't even run Apache on such a machine. Total RAM usage after Apache
> installation: 13MB. Lighttpd uses 2MB less, dhttpd uses only one
> additional MB. Running aptitude in TUI mode (without any webserver
> running) makes the system use 23MB. Vim-tiny uses 1MB. Heck, even top
> needs about 1MB!
>
> I still think it may be worthwhile to check out alternatives to Debian
> that use slimmer libraries and less dependencies. My access point
> (OpenWrt) runs from 8MB flash and offers an httpd, dropbear (an SSH
> server), pppoe and dnsmasq with only 14 processes running.

I've run my local router and webserver from a 100MHz machine with 100MB of RAM
for more than 5 years -- is it really such a big difference?

--
Liam

lee 06-29-2011 09:20 PM

I have big problem choose corect distribution Debian

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> lee:
>> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:
>>
>> Would starting with a minimal installation and adding only the needed
>> packages later require much tweaking?
>
> I knew someone would ask that question. :) Ok, I'll bite.
>
> I'll try it using qemu. Wait a minute … The system is already swapping
> while d-i is running. :) And installation takes ages, even on a Core2Duo
> core at 2.4GHz and an Intel SSD. I didn't install any tasks, not even
> the "Standard system utilities".
>
> Result: installation size of 384MB and only 8MB of RAM in use! That's a
> lot less than I expected.

Yes, installing a minimal system doesn't need much disk space. That it
would take long to install was to be expected.

> I still think it may be worthwhile to check out alternatives to Debian
> that use slimmer libraries and less dependencies.

It depends on what the OP wants to use his computer for. With 56MB RAM
still free after the installation, he can do a lot of things.