Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Copying a bootable CD

On Ma, 28 iun 11, 08:24:19, Martin McCormick wrote:
> I have a bootable live CD of an out-dated version of a
> specialized distribution of Debian called Vinux. I never saved
> the ISO image and I now want to copy from the CDRW it is on to a
> CDR to use as a rescue disk on systems that can not read CDRW's.

As far as I know dd is enough for the job, although most of the
CD-burning apps also have disk-copy functionality (to an .iso file or
even directly to the new CD).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Martin McCormick

William Hopkins writes:
> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc
>
> then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

This worked perfectly. Thank you.

Interestingly, I tried the dd command with the
parameters above and without and got the same bytes in the image
both times. The CDR works flawlessly.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Steven Rosenberg

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Martin McCormick <martin@x.it.okstate.edu> wrote:

William Hopkins writes:

> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc

> then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

� � � �This worked perfectly. Thank you.

� � � �Interestingly, I tried the dd command with the

parameters above and without and got the same bytes in the image

both times. The CDR works flawlessly.

I did this just the other day using Brasero. Worked perfectly.�

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Steven Rosenberg
<stevenhrosenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Martin McCormick <martin@x.it.okstate.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> William Hopkins writes:
>> > $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc
>> >
>> > then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)
>>
>> * * * *This worked perfectly. Thank you.
>>
>> * * * *Interestingly, I tried the dd command with the
>> parameters above and without and got the same bytes in the image
>> both times. The CDR works flawlessly.
>>

> I did this just the other day using Brasero. Worked perfectly.

"brasero" also works quite well as a friendly GUI for this sort of
thing, along with lots of others. I like it for handing to "newbs" who
need to burn data CD's, along with teaching them about CDBurnerXP so
they can use their Windows box to burn their first Linux CD's for
installation.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 29 iun 11, 06:13:21, Martin McCormick wrote:
> William Hopkins writes:
> > $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc
> >
> > then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)
>
> This worked perfectly. Thank you.
>
> Interestingly, I tried the dd command with the
> parameters above and without and got the same bytes in the image
> both times. The CDR works flawlessly.

Of course you did

bs=2048 means that dd should read/write in blocks of 2048 bytes--should
speed things up a bit since the default is too small for recent hardware

conv=notrunc means "do not truncate the output file" according to the
manpage, but I have no ideea what it's good for, but doesn't sound like
it would affect your image

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Brian

On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 23:49:56 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> conv=notrunc means "do not truncate the output file" according to the
> manpage, but I have no ideea what it's good for, but doesn't sound like
> it would affect your image

That's a problem which can happen with man pages. You think you know
what it means but on the witness stand you are torn apart by the
defense.

I'd take 'truncate' to mean 'shorten' - but see what you make of this:

http://dbaspot.com/shell/176725-what-does-notrunc-dd-command-mean.html

Untested. Use at you own risk!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/07/11 07:20, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 23:49:56 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> conv=notrunc means "do not truncate the output file" according to the
>> manpage, but I have no ideea what it's good for, but doesn't sound like
>> it would affect your image
>
> That's a problem which can happen with man pages. You think you know
> what it means but on the witness stand you are torn apart by the
> defense.
>
> I'd take 'truncate' to mean 'shorten' - but see what you make of this:
>
> http://dbaspot.com/shell/176725-what-does-notrunc-dd-command-mean.html
>
> Untested. Use at you own risk!

What is the date of that post?
What OS are the posters referring to?

Tested - file a bug report if it is incorrect :-)

"`append' Write in append mode, so that even if some other process is
writing to this file, every `dd' write will append to the current
contents of the file. This flag makes sense only for output. If you
combine this flag with the `of=FILE' operand, you should also specify
`conv=notrunc' unless you want the output file to be truncated *before
being appended to.*"

ref: info dd

Cheers

--
“How come people always flip and think they're Jesus?
Why not Buddha?

Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM
William Hopkins

On 07/02/11 at 12:54pm, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 02/07/11 07:20, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 23:49:56 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> >> conv=notrunc means "do not truncate the output file" according to the
> >> manpage, but I have no ideea what it's good for, but doesn't sound like
> >> it would affect your image
> >
> > That's a problem which can happen with man pages. You think you know
> > what it means but on the witness stand you are torn apart by the
> > defense.
> >
> > I'd take 'truncate' to mean 'shorten' - but see what you make of this:
> >
> > http://dbaspot.com/shell/176725-what-does-notrunc-dd-command-mean.html
> >
> > Untested. Use at you own risk!
>
> What is the date of that post?
> What OS are the posters referring to?
>

> Tested - file a bug report if it is incorrect :-)
>
> "`append' Write in append mode, so that even if some other process is
> writing to this file, every `dd' write will append to the current
> contents of the file. This flag makes sense only for output. If you
> combine this flag with the `of=FILE' operand, you should also specify
> `conv=notrunc' unless you want the output file to be truncated *before
> being appended to.*"
>
> ref: info dd

I started an interesting conversation. I should have put conv=noerror, but
years of using notrunc for analysis files took over my fingers (:

--
Liam