Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Jozef Dunajčan

Default I have big problem choose corect distribution Debian

Hi
I want Debian only command promt without grafics(X, window).
Please help me choose Debian distribution.
I have industrial computer:
HDD: IDE 2GB
CPU: 486 66MHz
RAM: 64MB
Please help me choose corect distribution Debian.

--
S pozdravom Ing. Jozef Dunajčan

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Jochen Schulz

Jozef Dunajčan:

> I want Debian only command promt without grafics(X, window).
> Please help me choose Debian distribution.
> I have industrial computer:
> HDD: IDE 2GB
> CPU: 486 66MHz
> RAM: 64MB

The installer for i386 should work:
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/debian-installer/

But keep in mind that a machine like yours is at the low end of the
supported spectrum:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

Depending on what you want to use the machine for, you may be better off
using something like Damn Small Linux or even OpenWrt. When using
Debian, you will have to tweak the system quite a bit to ensure it runs
as fast as possible.

J.
--
I start many things but I have yet to finish a single one.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
lee

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> Jozef Dunajčan:
>>
>> I want Debian only command promt without grafics(X, window).
>> Please help me choose Debian distribution.

You can use any of Debian stable or testing.

>> I have industrial computer:
>> HDD: IDE 2GB
>> CPU: 486 66MHz
>> RAM: 64MB

What do you plan to use it for?

> Depending on what you want to use the machine for, you may be better
> off using something like Damn Small Linux or even OpenWrt. When using
> Debian, you will have to tweak the system quite a bit to ensure it
> runs as fast as possible.

Would starting with a minimal installation and adding only the needed
packages later require much tweaking?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Jochen Schulz

lee:
> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:
>
>> Depending on what you want to use the machine for, you may be better
>> off using something like Damn Small Linux or even OpenWrt. When using
>> Debian, you will have to tweak the system quite a bit to ensure it
>> runs as fast as possible.
>
> Would starting with a minimal installation and adding only the needed
> packages later require much tweaking?

I knew someone would ask that question. Ok, I'll bite.

I'll try it using qemu. Wait a minute … The system is already swapping
while d-i is running. And installation takes ages, even on a Core2Duo
core at 2.4GHz and an Intel SSD. I didn't install any tasks, not even
the "Standard system utilities".

Result: installation size of 384MB and only 8MB of RAM in use! That's a
lot less than I expected.

Nevertheless, one should probably at least disable the installation of
Recommends and you have to be very picky about packages to install. I
wouldn't even run Apache on such a machine. Total RAM usage after Apache
installation: 13MB. Lighttpd uses 2MB less, dhttpd uses only one
additional MB. Running aptitude in TUI mode (without any webserver
running) makes the system use 23MB. Vim-tiny uses 1MB. Heck, even top
needs about 1MB!

I still think it may be worthwhile to check out alternatives to Debian
that use slimmer libraries and less dependencies. My access point
(OpenWrt) runs from 8MB flash and offers an httpd, dropbear (an SSH
server), pppoe and dnsmasq with only 14 processes running.

J.
--
There is no justice in road accidents.
[Agree] [Disagree]