Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
William Hopkins

Default Copying a bootable CD

On 06/28/11 at 08:39am, Martin McCormick wrote:
> I have a bootable live CD of an out-dated version of a
> specialized distribution of Debian called Vinux. I never saved
> the ISO image and I now want to copy from the CDRW it is on to a
> CDR to use as a rescue disk on systems that can not read CDRW's.
>
> The CDRW works fine so what is the best way to rip it
> such that I end up with an ISO image I can burn to a CDR?

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc

then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

--
Liam

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Martin McCormick

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Markus_Sch=F6nhaber?= writes:
> If you don't want to use the CD copy function of one of the GUI burning
> programs, you can, for example, do the following:
> insert the CDRW into the drive and do
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=vinux.iso
> (replace "/dev/cdrom" with the device node for your drive, if different).
> Afterwards, you can burn the resulting "vinux.iso" as an image(!) to disk.
>
> This is not necessarily "the best" way to do it but it should be a way
> that works.

Thanks!! That is an interesting direct approach. dd is one of
the best work tools out there. It is kind of easy, however, to
overlook it.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Preston Boyington

William Hopkins wrote:

I have a bootable live CD of an out-dated version of a
specialized distribution of Debian called Vinux. I never saved
the ISO image and I now want to copy from the CDRW it is on to a
CDR to use as a rescue disk on systems that can not read CDRW's.

The CDRW works fine so what is the best way to rip it
such that I end up with an ISO image I can burn to a CDR?

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc

then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

you can also do this with cat:

cat /dev/cdrom > ~/image.iso