-   -   Copying a bootable CD (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/545539-copying-bootable-cd.html)

William Hopkins 06-28-2011 02:35 PM

Copying a bootable CD

On 06/28/11 at 08:39am, Martin McCormick wrote:
> I have a bootable live CD of an out-dated version of a
> specialized distribution of Debian called Vinux. I never saved
> the ISO image and I now want to copy from the CDRW it is on to a
> CDR to use as a rescue disk on systems that can not read CDRW's.
>
> The CDRW works fine so what is the best way to rip it
> such that I end up with an ISO image I can burn to a CDR?

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc

then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

--
Liam

Martin McCormick 06-28-2011 02:49 PM

Copying a bootable CD

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Markus_Sch=F6nhaber?= writes:
> If you don't want to use the CD copy function of one of the GUI burning
> programs, you can, for example, do the following:
> insert the CDRW into the drive and do
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=vinux.iso
> (replace "/dev/cdrom" with the device node for your drive, if different).
> Afterwards, you can burn the resulting "vinux.iso" as an image(!) to disk.
>
> This is not necessarily "the best" way to do it but it should be a way
> that works.

Thanks!! That is an interesting direct approach. dd is one of
the best work tools out there. It is kind of easy, however, to
overlook it.

Preston Boyington 06-28-2011 03:06 PM

Copying a bootable CD

William Hopkins wrote:

I have a bootable live CD of an out-dated version of a
specialized distribution of Debian called Vinux. I never saved
the ISO image and I now want to copy from the CDRW it is on to a
CDR to use as a rescue disk on systems that can not read CDRW's.

The CDRW works fine so what is the best way to rip it
such that I end up with an ISO image I can burn to a CDR?

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc

then burn the ISO using your tool of choice (wodim, etc.)

you can also do this with cat:

cat /dev/cdrom > ~/image.iso