FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

On 28/06/11 19:15, lee wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 28/06/11 05:00, lee wrote:
>>> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
>>>
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>>>
>>> He could try to turn off "USB legacy support" in the BIOS.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Different issue - but that fixed it! :-)
>
> I'm glad it helped you and Peter. Now the question is how to actually
> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
> RAID-1 array. The point is to still be able to run the system when a
> disk fails. Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
> to replace it, how do you boot?
>
>
Insert usbkey with backup grub - boot from usbkey.


Cheers

--
"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act.
I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did
it before he did."
~ Bill Hicks (on Dennis Leary)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E099D0D.6060904@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E099D0D.6060904@gmail.com
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
lee
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1115 +0200]:
>> I'm glad it helped you and Peter. Now the question is how to actually
>> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
>> RAID-1 array. The point is to still be able to run the system when a
>> disk fails. Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
>> to replace it, how do you boot?
>
> Grub resides on all components of the array (ideally in their MBR).
> It loads off any one of them and then runs its own RAID-assembly
> code, which can assemble a degraded RAID-1. Then it loads kernel and
> initrd from the filesystem on that array and passes control to the
> kernel…

Yes, that's what I was expecting. About two weeks ago, I had to replace
the mainboard and found out that I can boot from only one of the disks
in the RAID-1. Booting from the other one put me into a blank screen,
without grub showing up.

It doesn't work as it's supposed to. How can I fix it?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8739iukopv.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/8739iukopv.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
lee
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> On 28/06/11 19:15, lee wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad it helped you and Peter. Now the question is how to actually
>> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
>> RAID-1 array. The point is to still be able to run the system when a
>> disk fails. Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
>> to replace it, how do you boot?
>>
>>
> Insert usbkey with backup grub - boot from usbkey.

How do you make such an USB key? It would be nice to have in case
anything fails, yet it shouldn't be needed.

Being able to boot despite one of the disks in the RAID-1 has failed is
one of the advantages of having a RAID-1 I don't want to miss. USB-keys
are small and can be very hard to find. Perhaps I shouldn't even make
such an USB-key because if I do, it won't take long for the disk to fail
and the USB-key will, of course, have disappeared: Murphys law ...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87y60mj9u6.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87y60mj9u6.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Tom H
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
>
>> also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1115 +0200]:
>>> I'm glad it helped you and Peter. ¬*Now the question is how to actually
>>> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
>>> RAID-1 array. ¬*The point is to still be able to run the system when a
>>> disk fails. ¬*Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
>>> to replace it, how do you boot?
>>
>> Grub resides on all components of the array (ideally in their MBR).
>> It loads off any one of them and then runs its own RAID-assembly
>> code, which can assemble a degraded RAID-1. Then it loads kernel and
>> initrd from the filesystem on that array and passes control to the
>> kernel…
>
> Yes, that's what I was expecting. ¬*About two weeks ago, I had to replace
> the mainboard and found out that I can boot from only one of the disks
> in the RAID-1. ¬*Booting from the other one put me into a blank screen,
> without grub showing up.
>
> It doesn't work as it's supposed to. ¬*How can I fix it?

"dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and choose both disks when asked about
"grub install devices".


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTimVLaAXXDmYno9dfdagEF=+iT=ruQ@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimVLaAXXDmYno9dfdagEF=+iT=ruQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
martin f krafft
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1642 +0200]:
> How do you make such an USB key? It would be nice to have in case
> anything fails, yet it shouldn't be needed.

search for super grub disk

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

"when women love us, they forgive us everything, even our crimes;
when they do not love us, they give us credit for nothing,
not even our virtues."
-- honorť de balzac
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
martin f krafft
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1636 +0200]:
> It doesn't work as it's supposed to. How can I fix it?

Reinstall grub to all devices, dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

"i worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."
-- groucho marx
 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

On 29/06/11 00:42, lee wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 28/06/11 19:15, lee wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm glad it helped you and Peter. Now the question is how to actually
>>> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
>>> RAID-1 array. The point is to still be able to run the system when a
>>> disk fails. Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
>>> to replace it, how do you boot?
>>>
>>>
>> Insert usbkey with backup grub - boot from usbkey.
>
> How do you make such an USB key? It would be nice to have in case
> anything fails, yet it shouldn't be needed.
>
> Being able to boot despite one of the disks in the RAID-1 has failed is
> one of the advantages of having a RAID-1 I don't want to miss. USB-keys
> are small and can be very hard to find. Perhaps I shouldn't even make
> such an USB-key because if I do, it won't take long for the disk to fail
> and the USB-key will, of course, have disappeared: Murphys law ...
>
>
Example where grub2 is installed to the mbr and /boot is located on the
first primary partition formatted as ext3.
Create a primary partition on the usbkey larger than the space taken by
/boot.
Format the partition as ext3. Copy /boot/* to the new partition on the
usbkey.
Ensure the usbkey is not mounted:-
# grub-setup --force /dev/usbkey_device

NOTE: the last command executes very fast.

There appears to be a way to get grub-setup to do the copying for you -
I just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. :-/

Also worth a look is grub-mkrescue which can create floppy and cd images.

I use some scripting to do this, create a package list, and backup key
config files, to a USB-key after most builds. dd is then used to backup
the USB-key so that many different backup/recovery/rebuild setups can
easily be stored - and quickly re-written to a USB-key.

Cheers

--
"I just have one of those faces.
People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?"
Nothing.
"Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile."
Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to
leave me alone?"
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E0ACB86.6030706@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E0ACB86.6030706@gmail.com
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
lee
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> the mainboard and found out that I can boot from only one of the disks
>> in the RAID-1. *Booting from the other one put me into a blank screen,
>> without grub showing up.
>>
>> It doesn't work as it's supposed to. *How can I fix it?
>
> "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and choose both disks when asked about
> "grub install devices".

Thanks, that probably fixed it Only one of the two disks in the
RAID-1 was selected for installing grub, and now I selected the other
one as well. Next time I reboot, I can try it out ...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87r56c5on4.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87r56c5on4.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Tom H
 
Default booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>> the mainboard and found out that I can boot from only one of the disks
>>> in the RAID-1. *Booting from the other one put me into a blank screen,
>>> without grub showing up.
>>>
>>> It doesn't work as it's supposed to. *How can I fix it?
>>
>> "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and choose both disks when asked about
>> "grub install devices".
>
> Thanks, that probably fixed it *Only one of the two disks in the
> RAID-1 was selected for installing grub, and now I selected the other
> one as well. *Next time I reboot, I can try it out ...

You're welcome. Good luck...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=SywEVoesQbki_JF7D+CBouKzsnx8CBW1uwDFPYmyrhMO g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=SywEVoesQbki_JF7D+CBouKzsnx8CBW1uwDFPYmyrhMO g@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org