Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 AM
Mark

Default Running Squeeze on a 2 GB usb stick?

Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for personal use.* I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if there is advice on recommended packages other than the base system for my given circumstances?* Here's what I was thinking of installing in addition to the base system:

-GParted
-gedit
-Iceweasel
-Synaptic Package Manager
-Update Manager
-Network Manager (or wicd)
-A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power Management

Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB?* The laptop has 4 GB RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.

Thank you for any input.

Mark

Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/27/11 at 09:17pm, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for personal
> use. I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if there is
> advice on recommended packages other than the base system for my given
> circumstances? Here's what I was thinking of installing in addition to the
> base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB? The laptop has 4 GB
> RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.

Gnome and it's ilk are not size-friendly (or anything-friendly, in my opinion,
but that's a different rant..). My estimates say it may barely fit, but I think
your only sure way of knowing is to try it and see.

If you want suggestions on lightweight systems, plenty of listers can reply. My
desktop installed base is around 1G, and that's with all the various desktop
utilities I use. I don't use any of the programs you mention, however (except
Iceweasel)

--
Liam

Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Doug

[...]

Don't know where the originator is writing from, but in the US an 8GB
thumb drive
is only about $16 from any of the various computer shops on line.
Sometimes you even
get a break--about 9 months ago, somebody in Shanghai was selling 128GB
usb 2.0 sticks

for $45 each! (They are a well-known brand name and work fine!)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4E095A5A.4080506@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E095A5A.4080506@optonline.net

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 28/06/11 14:17, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for
> personal use.� I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if
> there is advice on recommended packages other than the base system for
> my given circumstances?� Here's what I was thinking of installing in
> addition to the base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB?� The laptop has 4
> GB RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Mark
If you're willing to do a little work - then yes, under 1.2GB is
possible. The trick is not to do the build/install on the USBkey (move
it there after building and stripping).

You will have to sacrifice some unnecessary things on your wish list:-
Synaptic (learn to use apt or aptitude)
Update Manager (ditto)
NetworkManager
Screensavers and PowerManagement
Any other "dancing bears"

Process:-
Boot the laptop from a live Debian CD and note down the x packages used.
Install to a virtualbox machine, a larger USB key (8GB), or a spare hdd.
When the build is finished just copy it to your usbkey.

At the first gui screen of d-i choose help which will take you to the cli.
enter "expert" and hit Enter
choose manual partitioning, create a single primary partition, ext3 or
4, noatime.
Do not create a swap partition.
At package selection choose basic system and laptop - do not choose
desktop or server options.
After the install is completed login as root to you basic, non-X install.
You now have a small, basic Debian install - before adding packages you
want to remove anything unneeded, and set apt to install only necessary
packages:-
# nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/03recommends
and paste the following code into 03recommends (ignore the =====)
==============
APT
{
Install-Recommends "false";
Install-Suggests "false";
};
==============
Hit F2 to save, enter Y when asked.

NOTE: recommended is not the same as essential.

Use:-
# dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | more

to review what you have already installed. If you see anything you don't
want/need:-

# apt-get -s remove package_not_wanted | more

and see what the effect of removing it will be. If it isn't going to
create a nightmare:-

# apt-get --purge remove package_not_wanted

eg. if you don't plan on using nfs:-
root@apache:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | grep nfs
libnfsidmap2 install
nfs-common install
root@apache:~# apt-get -s remove nfs-common libnfsidmap2 | more
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libnfsidmap2 nfs-common
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
Remv nfs-common [1:1.2.2-4]
Remv libnfsidmap2 [0.23-2]
root@apache:~# apt-get --purge remove nfs-common libnfsidmap2

You probably won't need exim:-
root@apache:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep exim | more
exim4 install
exim4-base install
exim4-config install
exim4-daemon-light install
root@apache:~# apt-get -s remove exim4* | more
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Package exim4-daemon-heavy-dbg is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-daemon-heavy is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-daemon-light-dbg is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-dbg is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-dev is not installed, so not removed
Package eximon4 is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-doc-html is not installed, so not removed
Package exim4-doc-info is not installed, so not removed
Package gforge-mta-exim4 is not installed, so not removed
Package geximon is not installed, so not removed
Package rexima is not installed, so not removed
Package sa-exim is not installed, so not removed
The following packages will be REMOVED:
bsd-mailx exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
Remv bsd-mailx [8.1.2-0.20100314cvs-1]
Remv exim4 [4.72-6+squeeze2]
Remv exim4-daemon-light [4.72-6+squeeze2]
Remv exim4-base [4.72-6+squeeze2]
Remv exim4-config [4.72-6+squeeze2]
root@apache:~# apt-get --purge remove exim4*

Continue stripping out packages until you are happy then start adding
packages.
Tip: keep a note of what is recommended in addition to what package/s
you select to install - if something fails to function review these
(sic) notes for useful clues. The files are tiny.
eg:-
# apt-get -s install deborphan purgelocales | more
will show you debfoster and bleachbit are recommended, probably dialog
will be too (I'm going from memory) - in this case I'd recommend you
don't want debfoster or bleachbit, but you do want dialog so:-

# apt-get -s install deborphan purgelocales dialog >
/root/deborphan_purgelocale

A file called deborphan_purgelocale will be created in /root for later
use if required.

then do the actual install:-
# apt-get install deborphan purgelocales dialog

Purgelocales will ask some basic questions then keep your system free of
unwanted locales (and man files).

# deborphan
will list "orphaned" files - remove them:-
# apt-get --purge remove `deborphan`

Install additional "core" tools:-
(note: don't forget to use the -s option first to review the recommended
packages, followed by piping the output to a file in root for later
reference).
# apt-get install mc bzip2 arj zip unzip rar unrar

If you're not familiar with cli you'll find mc useful

Then install just the minimum x packages required for you laptop and the
core/base packages for your desktop choice.
eg:-
[1]
# apt-get -s install kde-core kdm | more
or
[2]
# apt-get -s install gnome-core gdm | more
Install just the x packages required for your laptop - *then* repeat [1]
or [2] and make sure you are not missing any needed x packages *before*
running [1] or [2]. Make sure to pipe the output of the simulated
apt-get install (-s) to a file in root for later reference.
At a minimum you'll need xserver-xorg-core.

Carefully go through and remove any unneeded packages. (games,
screensavers, desktop backgrounds, additional icons etc)
Trim unneeded stuff like man and doc directories, also clean the
apt-cache, run deborphan again, and apt-get autoremove.
Remove unneeded drivers eg:-
# rm -R /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/isdn
Check the space used by your new install:-
$ df -h
It should be a little over
1.2GB (for KDE, don't know about Gnome, Fluxbox et al should be smaller)
- and it's quite possible to make it far smaller than that!

Format your usbkey as ext3 or 4 and use the noatime option (forget about
swap) - single partition.
Copy the install across to the usbkey, modify fstab if required, ditto
/etc/host.
Use a supergrub disk to boot into the usbkey installation.
#update-grub

useful refs:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/HowTo/SmallSizeImage
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Software/DesktopEnvironment

Alternatively go to slax.org and build and download the custom slax of
your choice. They work nicely and easily fit on your size key - hope you
like KDE :-)

I regret that I don't have the time to document the entire process in
detail for you (or even to proof read this!). I also think if fully
documented the information would be better on the wiki.debian.org (hint)

Cheers

--
"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act.
I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Darac Marjal

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:17:15PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for
> personal use.* I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if
> there is advice on recommended packages other than the base system for my
> given circumstances?* Here's what I was thinking of installing in addition
> to the base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB?* The laptop has 4 GB
> RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Mark

I've recently done the same thing myself; installing an XFCE-based
testing to a 4GB stick. A couple of things I've found useful are
laptop-mode-tools (to spin down the Windows HDD) and this[1] script
about setting up a transient /var/log (to try and mitigate some of the
writes to the flash disk).

[1] http://www.debian-administration.org/article/A_transient_/var/log

--
Paul Saunders

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Brian

On Mon 27 Jun 2011 at 21:17:15 -0700, Mark wrote:

> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB? The laptop has 4 GB
> RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.

On a Sid machine:

Basic install
X+startx+jwm+xrvt+iceweasel
An empty /var/cache/apt/archives

This totals 1.4 GB. Deleteting some unnecessary packages and all
documentation would get it closer to 1.1 GB.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Camalen

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:17:15 -0700, Mark wrote:

> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for
> personal use. I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if
> there is advice on recommended packages other than the base system for
> my given circumstances?

(...)

It appears to me that 2 GiB seems not enough room for a full DE. Besides,
there are flash memory inherent write limits, that you will reach very
quickly if you plan to give it a normal use.

I would consider using an external USB hard disk (if space/weight is a
concern, there are very compact devices available in the market), instead
of a flash based one which means more room for your system, no write
cycle limits and more speed :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
AG

On 28/06/11 10:35, Darac Marjal wrote:

[...]

I see it's possible using an Etch installation:
http://kv5r.com/articles/lin/debianonastick.asp

Archive: 4E09DB2F.6050007@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E09DB2F.6050007@gmail.com

Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Stephen Allen

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:17:15PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for personal
> use. I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if there is
> advice on recommended packages other than the base system for my given
> circumstances? Here's what I was thinking of installing in addition to the
> base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB? The laptop has 4 GB
> RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Mark
---end quoted text---

I did this myself Mark, using Debian's Live System image; As long as you don't do any updates it will fit fine. The killer is you can't update anything on that size of a pendrive. I'd do as another user suggested and obtain a larger pendrive as they're quite cheap. I went with a 16 Gb myself as there was no way I wanted to do without security updates.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:47:39 -0400
> Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> > everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I
> > have laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal
> > hdd for personal use. [...]
> > Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB? The laptop
> > has 4 GB RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.
>
> I did this myself Mark,

I made this on a 1GB stick, with several dozen of this hardware:
http://goo.gl/L3XmN

--
RMA.