-   -   VM client can't access CUPS printer (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/544977-vm-client-cant-access-cups-printer.html)

Camaleón 06-27-2011 01:51 PM

VM client can't access CUPS printer

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:13:18 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> I have a Wheezy host with a USB printer and a virtualbox XP client. The
> VM (client) is unable to access the CUPS printer.

On the host, run "lpstat -t" and put here the output.

Also, how does you "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" look like?

(remove any sensitive information those files may contain)

> Wheezy and virtualbox are both up-to-date, including the guest additions
> and extension pack. I have the same host/client pair at home with a
> CUPS parallel printer. The client printer definition there includes the
> host IP, and that works. From the client, I can print and also bring up
> the printer definition in Explorer under host_IP:631. In both setups, I
> am using the same cupsd.conf and NAT. Any ideas what the problem is?

I would first start by discarding a problem within CUPS.

Can you connect/print from another client machine, different than Windows
VM? If no, there must be something wrong at CUPS setup. If yes, the
culprit can point to the VM (client firewall, VM NAT settings, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Steve Kleene 06-27-2011 08:36 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:13:18 +0000, I wrote:

> I have a Wheezy host with a USB printer and a virtualbox XP client. The
> VM (client) is unable to access the CUPS printer.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:51:40 +0000, Camaleón replied:

> Also, how does you "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" look like?

That was the right question. In adding cupsd.conf to my planned reply, I
noticed that I had made a stupid mistake. cupsd.conf has the line
"Listen hostname:631", where I insert the correct hostname. I blew it and
left in the name of the host from which I copied the line.

Now the client VM can get to the CUPS system and the printer. Oddly, though,
for this to work I have to restart /etc/init.d/cups if I have just rebooted
the host, even though CUPS is started late in the boot. I think I had the
same problem when I first set up my similar system at home, but then the
problem just went away on its own.

I'm still not in business. The Phaser is accessed and prints, but it prints
out a PostScript error. I'll have to investigate the driver some more.

Thanks.

Camaleón 06-28-2011 12:09 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:36:46 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:13:18 +0000, I wrote:
>
>> I have a Wheezy host with a USB printer and a virtualbox XP client.
>> The VM (client) is unable to access the CUPS printer.
>
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:51:40 +0000, Camaleón replied:
>
>> Also, how does you "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" look like?
>
> That was the right question. In adding cupsd.conf to my planned reply,
> I noticed that I had made a stupid mistake. cupsd.conf has the line
> "Listen hostname:631", where I insert the correct hostname. I blew it
> and left in the name of the host from which I copied the line.
>
> Now the client VM can get to the CUPS system and the printer. Oddly,
> though, for this to work I have to restart /etc/init.d/cups if I have
> just rebooted the host, even though CUPS is started late in the boot. I
> think I had the same problem when I first set up my similar system at
> home, but then the problem just went away on its own.

Well, I think this is good :-)

> I'm still not in business. The Phaser is accessed and prints, but it
> prints out a PostScript error. I'll have to investigate the driver some
> more.

Openprinting has a related comment on this postscript error:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Xerox/Xerox-Phaser_6280

I would try to load the PPD from Xerox's site, just in case it is most
updated. I mean, regadless you're in windows or linux, use the most
updated PPD/PostScript drivers available.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 06-28-2011 12:09 PM

Steve Kleene 06-28-2011 02:37 PM

On 2011-06-28 12:09:49 GMT, Camaleón replied:

> Openprinting has a related comment on this postscript error:
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Xerox/Xerox-Phaser_6280
>
> I would try to load the PPD from Xerox's site, just in case it is most
> updated. I mean, regadless you're in windows or linux, use the most
> updated PPD/PostScript drivers available.

I did have to implement the openprinting solution when I first set the
printer up, and that is still there. And I just checked Xerox and verified
that both my Linux and XP drivers are up-to-date. I still have a problem and
will put that up as a new thread ("CUPS printer prints garbage from VM").

Thanks.