Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default Debian safe-upgrade to 6.0.2 - don't run within X session

On 30/06/11 02:41, D G Teed wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com
> <mailtorettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:

<snipped>
> Yes I believe it was during the configuration stage
> it had the X or gdm restart.�� One poster on here referenced
> a prompt asking whether it was OK to restart gdm.

Both gdm and kdm "should" save app states....

> This isn't a production system so I wasn't paying careful
> attention to whether it asked about that.� I was working
> on something else in another window at the time.
> It may have warned gdm would be restarted and I just
> said go ahead without reading it - as it usually prompts for
> this for services impacted by for example pam updates
> and I'm never concerned about restarting those services.
>
> Unfortunately I can't reproduce this and watch more carefully.

Which means I should have a good think about ways to set up logging of
peoples upgrade process (if they don't already exist).
I have a vested interest in Debian being a desktop in industry, and even
if you were the only person to experience a problem - the experience
would be instructive. It's good timing - I usually donate some time or
money to FOSS at the start of each financial year. Already got locking
out vt access as part of kiosk setting on the list.

> Later when X was restarted and I redid aptitude safe-upgrade,
> it showed about a dozen packages awaiting configuration and
> another dozen or so to install.� I would have taken better notes
> if I thought this was a bug but I thought it was just me
> not taking the precautions I should.� All I have as a record
> is /var/log/aptitude and it doesn't show failures or aborts.

Do you have a list of the packages upgraded?

> Despite testing on a number of different Gnome and KDE desktops we saw
> no problems with the upgrade - with the exception of a lack of a hint in
> the Samba upgrade message on how to exit the message. Users were advised
> how to exit that screen.
>

> I did see the samba notification and read it.� I remember
> that happening.� Less is already known to me as the pager
> so no surprises there.

A surprising number of people got stuck because the samba message
"assumed" user's knew about less (and more). Though I'm not blaming the
samba crew, or the debian maintainers - it's clearly something I could
have fixed myself.

> Yes, I was watching the list to see if anyone else was bitten and saw
> none.� Perhaps my system was an oddball.� It is an Atom 230
> based system.

Shouldn't make a difference (in a perfect world).
Thanks for the additional info. One thought that occurs to me is - maybe
a mechanism to test the updated state of a system *before* applying a
point release might be useful - as point releases are normally tested on
fully upgraded systems.

Cheers

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole.
No one is left out of the loop.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
D G Teed

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Scott Ferguson

> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com

> <mailtorettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:

<snipped>

> Yes I believe it was during the configuration stage

> it had the X or gdm restart.�� One poster on here referenced

> a prompt asking whether it was OK to restart gdm.

Both gdm and kdm "should" save app states....

I tried this on a second desktop system (aptitude run of update
followed by safe-upgrade) and it did not cause X to restart.

I wonder if my previous problem was triggered by the

time of day as it was just around midnight.

I noticed this in the aptitude output:

Setting up gdm3 (2.30.5-6squeeze3) ...
Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3.

I don't know how it does that, but perhaps it happened right away
and triggered a restart of X?

Anyway, I guess I've proved to myself that the problem wasn't
as generic as I had believed from the first experience.

--Donald Teed

Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Jochen Schulz

D G Teed:

> I wonder if my previous problem was triggered by the
> time of day as it was just around midnight.
>
> I noticed this in the aptitude output:
>
> Setting up gdm3 (2.30.5-6squeeze3) ...
> Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3.

That only means that gdm3 will restart after the last user has logged
out. What you are seeing is the solution to the problem you think you
have seen.

J.
--
I lust after strangers but only date people from the office.
[Agree] [Disagree]