Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 AM
"Eric d'Halibut"

Default LC_ALL & LANG settings

I"m getting these pesky messages when I run certain commands (e.g.
apt-get) as root:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.utf8"

I am always mystified by this stuff. How can I fix those errors?

Thanks,

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/26/11 at 11:17pm, Eric d'Halibut wrote:
> I"m getting these pesky messages when I run certain commands (e.g.
> apt-get) as root:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = (unset),
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "en_US.utf8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
>
> I am always mystified by this stuff. How can I fix those errors?

try dpkg-reconfigure locales

--
Liam

Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 AM
"Eric d'Halibut"

On 6/26/11, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> try dpkg-reconfigure locales

Thank you again. That command (above) clued me to the fact that the
packages 'locales' was not even installed. Who knew? <g>

Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Pier Paolo

2011/6/27 Eric d'Halibut <eric.halibut@gmail.com>

On 6/26/11, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> try dpkg-reconfigure locales

Thank you again. That command (above) clued me to the fact that the

packages 'locales' was not even installed. Who knew?

That's sounds reasonable; actually, i think some programs/container use some environment variables different than standard LANG, so eventually add to /etc/default/locale the following lines:

LC_ALL=$LANG
LANGUAGE=$LANG

that worked for me

Pier Paolo.