Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Greg Madden

Default Default paper size in LibreOffice

On Sunday 26 June 2011 04:04:40 pm Rick Thomas wrote:
> I've tried everything I can think of, but every time I create a new
> document in LibreOffice Writer it wants to print on A4 paper. I'm in
> the US and everything else uses US-Letter paper. As I understand it,
> the accepted way to set this is with "dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1". But
> this has no effect on LibreOffice.
>
> To reproduce the problem:
>
> In Gnome go to the "Applications->Office->LibreOffice Writer" menu.
> In the new document window, go to "File->Print" menu, click on the
> "General" tab, click on the "Properties" button. Notice that it says
> "A4" for paper size.
>
> If I change that, I can print on Letter paper OK. But the next time I
> open a document, I get the same thing.
>
> What's the magic I'm missing?
>
> I've googled; I've searched the help documentation, I've found lots of
> suggestions. but none that work...

Not sure if its relevant, I have one additional step involved here. Before
clicking on 'properties' I select from a list of printers available, i have more
than one installed on my system. Highlighting a printer I can set paper size,
different sizes for different printers here. Its sticky.

I am using LO from Debian backports on Squeeze.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Greg Madden

On Sunday 26 June 2011 04:38:14 pm Greg Madden wrote:
> On Sunday 26 June 2011 04:04:40 pm Rick Thomas wrote:
> > I've tried everything I can think of, but every time I create a new
> > document in LibreOffice Writer it wants to print on A4 paper. I'm in
> > the US and everything else uses US-Letter paper. As I understand it,
> > the accepted way to set this is with "dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1". But
> > this has no effect on LibreOffice.
> >
> > To reproduce the problem:
> >
> > In Gnome go to the "Applications->Office->LibreOffice Writer" menu.
> > In the new document window, go to "File->Print" menu, click on the
> > "General" tab, click on the "Properties" button. Notice that it says
> > "A4" for paper size.
> >
> > If I change that, I can print on Letter paper OK. But the next time I
> > open a document, I get the same thing.
> >
> > What's the magic I'm missing?
> >
> > I've googled; I've searched the help documentation, I've found lots of
> > suggestions. but none that work...
>
> Not sure if its relevant, I have one additional step involved here. Before
> clicking on 'properties' I select from a list of printers available, i have
> more than one installed on my system. Highlighting a printer I can set
> paper size, different sizes for different printers here. Its sticky.
>
> I am using LO from Debian backports on Squeeze.

I should add, my printers are managed through the cups, 'localhost:631' web
interface. I set default options for my printers there, ie. papersize.

i haven't tried changing paper sizes in LO from the defaults I setup in cups.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Excerpts from Rick Thomas's message of 2011-06-27 02:04:40 +0200:

> I've tried everything I can think of, but every time I create a new
> document in LibreOffice Writer it wants to print on A4 paper. I'm in
> the US and everything else uses US-Letter paper. As I understand it,
> the accepted way to set this is with "dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1". But
> this has no effect on LibreOffice.
>
> To reproduce the problem:
>
> In Gnome go to the "Applications->Office->LibreOffice Writer" menu.
> In the new document window, go to "File->Print" menu, click on the
> "General" tab, click on the "Properties" button. Notice that it says
> "A4" for paper size.
>
> If I change that, I can print on Letter paper OK. But the next time I
> open a document, I get the same thing.
>
> What's the magic I'm missing?
>
> I've googled; I've searched the help documentation, I've found lots of
> suggestions. but none that work...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

My experience with cups is inverse, eg. I always get US-letter instead
of A4. Solution: no idea

Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 26 June 2011 04:38:14 pm Greg Madden wrote:
>> On Sunday 26 June 2011 04:04:40 pm Rick Thomas wrote:
>> > I've tried everything I can think of, but every time I create a new
>> > document in LibreOffice Writer it wants to print on A4 paper. *I'm in
>> > the US and everything else uses US-Letter paper. *As I understand it,
>> > the accepted way to set this is with "dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1". But
>> > this has no effect on LibreOffice.
>> >
>> > To reproduce the problem:
>> >
>> > In Gnome go to the "Applications->Office->LibreOffice Writer" menu.
>> > In the new document window, go to "File->Print" menu, click on the
>> > "General" tab, click on the "Properties" button. *Notice that it says
>> > "A4" for paper size.
>> >
>> > If I change that, I can print on Letter paper OK. *But the next time I
>> > open a document, I get the same thing.
>> >
>> > What's the magic I'm missing?
>> >
>> > I've googled; I've searched the help documentation, I've found lots of
>> > suggestions. but none that work...
>>
>> Not sure if its relevant, I have one additional step involved here. Before
>> clicking on 'properties' I select from a list of printers available, i have
>> more than one *installed on my system. Highlighting a printer I can set
>> paper size, different sizes for different printers here. Its sticky.
>>
>> I am using LO from Debian backports on Squeeze.
>
> I should add, my printers are managed through the cups, 'localhost:631' web
> interface. I set default options for my printers there, ie. papersize.

That interface does rude things to goats. For the second time today,
I'll mention Eric Raymond's essay on "The Luxury of Ignorance" for a
description of just how horrible that interface, and it hasn't
improved noticeably since that essary in 2004:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

Instead, install and use system-config-printer, which is being well
maintained by our favorite upstream vendor.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:

>>> Not sure if its relevant, I have one additional step involved here. Before
>>> clicking on 'properties' I select from a list of printers available, i have
>>> more than one *installed on my system. Highlighting a printer I can set
>>> paper size, different sizes for different printers here. Its sticky.
>>>
>>> I am using LO from Debian backports on Squeeze.
>>
>> I should add, my printers are managed through the cups, 'localhost:631' web
>> interface. I set default options for my printers there, ie. papersize.
>
> That interface does rude things to goats. For the second time today,
> I'll mention Eric Raymond's essay on "The Luxury of Ignorance" for a
> description of just how horrible that interface, and it hasn't
> improved noticeably since that essary in 2004:
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
> Instead, install and use system-config-printer, which is being well
> maintained by our favorite upstream vendor.

Whoops! Sorry, wrong mailing list. I was just suggesting that a few
hours ago to a Scientific Linux user, my apologies.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Siard

Rick Thomas wrote:
> Every time I create a new document in LibreOffice Writer it wants to
> print on A4 paper.

I have Squeeze with OpenOffice ATM, and the usual way to set the paper
size permanently is running /usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin as user,
select your printer and click 'Properties'.

I assume spadmin for LibreOffice exists in the same path, or a similar
one.