Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Greg Madden

Default Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze

On Saturday 25 June 2011 09:52:08 pm lee wrote:

> > "The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
> > match the current compiler (gcc 4.4). The Linux 2.6 kernel module
> > loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not
> > exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."
> >
> > Why on Earth is the squeeze kernel image not built with the version
> > squeeze version of gcc? http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcc
>
> That happens frequently. Use the Debian packages ...

The fix though is to re-link gcc-4.4 to gcc.
'ln -sf /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 /usr/bin/gcc'

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:58:42 +1200, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
>> dependencies.
>
> Yes, I think I'll go that route. Bit of a problem, though: the Nvidia
> installer warns me that
>
> "The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
> match the current compiler (gcc 4.4). The Linux 2.6 kernel module
> loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not
> exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."

That's a known problem, as others have pointed out. It is also documented
at nvidia's README, section "Compiling the NVIDIA kernel module gives
this error:"

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/275.09.07/README/commonproblems.html

> Why on Earth is the squeeze kernel image not built with the version
> squeeze version of gcc? http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcc

Dunno, but maybe that's one of the reasons there are many versions
available for gcc in the repos.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Aidan Gauland

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:
> I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
> booted my system, X failed to start. When seeing that the Nvidia
> drivers in sid are the same version as those direct from Nvidia's
> website, I tried upgrading the nvidia driver packages on my system to
> the sid versions. I then restarted X via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart,
> but it still failed to start.
>
> [snip]
>
> So I then tried purging (and downgrading back to squeeze any packages
> that were upgraded as dependencies of) the nvidia packages and
> installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as directed by
> <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS>). Still no joy;
> the same error.

OK, the problem was that pulling the nvidia-kernel-dkms version from sid
was also pulling in the sid kernel-header packages, so the kernel module
was being built for the wrong kernel version. Manually "downgrading"
back to the squeeze kernel-header packages caused the module to be
rebuilt for the current kernel.

One point for the Debian way; minus one point for the Nvidia installer.

--Aidan