FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Peter Tenenbaum
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

I'm having a problem with my debian squeeze desktop.* The problem is as follows:

I have a system with a software raid-1 root partition (set up with mdadm) and a non-raid boot partition.* The system uses grub2 as its bootloader.* Under ordinary circumstances everything works correctly, but when I have my (non-bootable) Seagate FreeAgent USB hard drive connected via the front-panel USB port, booting hangs.* Through use of echo statements, I've traced the problem to a block of code at the top of my grub.cfg file:


insmod raid
insmod mdraid
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2

The first statement executes correctly, but execution hangs between completion of the insmod raid statment and the insmod mdraid statement.


Since this is clearly a grub2 problem rather than a true debian problem, is there anyone who can point me to a resource on grub2 which might help me resolve this?* A grub2 guru would be wonderful, if any are known!


Thanks in advance,
-PT
 
Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
martin f krafft
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.25.2028 +0200]:
> Under ordinary circumstances everything works correctly, but when
> I have my (non-bootable) Seagate FreeAgent USB hard drive
> connected via the front-panel USB port, booting hangs.

Your USB drive probably get initialised and takes one of the
x (usually 4) slots of drives provided by the BIOS. When your
internal drives initialise, one does not get a slot. Hence grub2
hangs. Not much you can do I think.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

gentoo: the performance placebo.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Peter Tenenbaum
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

I suppose that is possible.* However, the workstation has 2 internal hard drives (both in the RAID-1 array), 1 internal DVD-ROM player, and the external USB hard drive; total of 4.* Is there something else in the system which can take a drive slot from the BIOS?* If not, then 4 slots should be enough to allow them all to initialize properly.


-PT

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.25.2028 +0200]:

> Under ordinary circumstances everything works correctly, but when

> I have my (non-bootable) Seagate FreeAgent USB hard drive

> connected via the front-panel USB port, booting hangs.



Your USB drive probably get initialised and takes one of the

x (usually 4) slots of drives provided by the BIOS. When your

internal drives initialise, one does not get a slot. Hence grub2

hangs. Not much you can do I think.



--

*.'`. * martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> * * *Related projects:

: :' *: *proud Debian developer * * * * * * * http://debiansystem.info

`. `'` * http://people.debian.org/~madduck * *http://vcs-pkg.org

*`- *Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems



gentoo: the performance placebo.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Tom H
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Peter Tenenbaum
<peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm having a problem with my debian squeeze desktop.* The problem is as
> follows:
>
> I have a system with a software raid-1 root partition (set up with mdadm)
> and a non-raid boot partition.* The system uses grub2 as its bootloader.
> Under ordinary circumstances everything works correctly, but when I have my
> (non-bootable) Seagate FreeAgent USB hard drive connected via the
> front-panel USB port, booting hangs.* Through use of echo statements, I've
> traced the problem to a block of code at the top of my grub.cfg file:
>
> insmod raid
> insmod mdraid
> insmod part_msdos
> insmod part_msdos
> insmod ext2
>
> The first statement executes correctly, but execution hangs between
> completion of the insmod raid statment and the insmod mdraid statement.
>
> Since this is clearly a grub2 problem rather than a true debian problem, is
> there anyone who can point me to a resource on grub2 which might help me
> resolve this?*A grub2 guru would be wonderful, if any are known!

help-grub@gnu.org and grub-devel@gnu.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTiØRQdX5PL7vk6Ht7k0kC7h=ASLQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 AM
martin f krafft
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.26.0227 +0200]:
> I suppose that is possible. However, the workstation has 2 internal hard
> drives (both in the RAID-1 array), 1 internal DVD-ROM player, and the
> external USB hard drive; total of 4. Is there something else in the system
> which can take a drive slot from the BIOS? If not, then 4 slots should be
> enough to allow them all to initialize properly.

It could be that the external USB drive causes the BIOS to reorder
the drives, which might throw off grub2 as well. See if you can
somehow stabilise the drive order in the BIOS.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

"anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president
should on no account be allowed to do the job"
-- douglas adams
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM
lee
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.26.0227 +0200]:
>> I suppose that is possible. However, the workstation has 2 internal hard
>> drives (both in the RAID-1 array), 1 internal DVD-ROM player, and the
>> external USB hard drive; total of 4. Is there something else in the system
>> which can take a drive slot from the BIOS? If not, then 4 slots should be
>> enough to allow them all to initialize properly.
>
> It could be that the external USB drive causes the BIOS to reorder
> the drives, which might throw off grub2 as well. See if you can
> somehow stabilise the drive order in the BIOS.

He could try to turn off "USB legacy support" in the BIOS.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87tybbkslp.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87tybbkslp.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Peter Tenenbaum
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

That worked, thanks!

-PT

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:



> also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.26.0227 +0200]:

>> I suppose that is possible. *However, the workstation has 2 internal hard

>> drives (both in the RAID-1 array), 1 internal DVD-ROM player, and the

>> external USB hard drive; total of 4. *Is there something else in the system

>> which can take a drive slot from the BIOS? *If not, then 4 slots should be

>> enough to allow them all to initialize properly.

>

> It could be that the external USB drive causes the BIOS to reorder

> the drives, which might throw off grub2 as well. See if you can

> somehow stabilise the drive order in the BIOS.



He could try to turn off "USB legacy support" in the BIOS.
 
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Needed: a grub2 expert

On 28/06/11 05:00, lee wrote:
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
>

<snipped>

>
> He could try to turn off "USB legacy support" in the BIOS.
>
>

Thank you!
Different issue - but that fixed it! :-)
One machine (Intel whiteboard) would cold boot without issue - but
reboots would hang before grub is loaded, unless the external USB drives
where unplugged. Your tip fixed that.

Cheers


--
"I have a scoop for you. I stole his act.
I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did
it before he did."
~ Bill Hicks (on Dennis Leary)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E094FFB.1000902@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E094FFB.1000902@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org