Old 06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Brad Rogers

Default Tagging the music using cddb

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:24:26 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello T,

> tag the converted ogg music myself *using cddb*. Anybody has done that
> before?

Yes, but almost invariably, I didn't like what I got from there;
Spelling mistakes, wrong CD (CDIDs aren't unique), missing CD, wrong
genre, you name it. I spent so much time correcting what I received I
gave up and enter track listings myself.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 26/06/11 01:36, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:24:26 +0000 (UTC)
> T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello T,
>
>> tag the converted ogg music myself *using cddb*. Anybody has done that
>> before?
>
> Yes, but almost invariably, I didn't like what I got from there;
> Spelling mistakes, wrong CD (CDIDs aren't unique), missing CD, wrong
> genre, you name it. I spent so much time correcting what I received I
> gave up and enter track listings myself.

A different approach is MusicBrainz - an online database of music
"fingerprints" that enable you do naming and tagging of unamed music
tracks. Handles most music file formats. It can also be used for CD
lookups. http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

The Debian package is called picard (not to be confused with
picard-tools). I can highly recommend it.

Cheers

--
You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know.
During the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out:

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:26:17 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> A different approach is MusicBrainz - an online database of music
{snip}
> The Debian package is called picard (not to be confused with
> picard-tools). I can highly recommend it.

I suspect that it'll suffer in the same way that cddb does; That is, if
the uploaded tags are trash (GIGO), then I'll still be editing it all
myself.

However, I'll give it a try, thanks.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
I'll tell you something, I think that you should know
Rich Kids - Rich Kids

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
T o n g

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:48:20 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

>> The Debian package is called picard (not to be confused with
>> picard-tools). I can highly recommend it.
>
> I suspect that it'll suffer in the same way that cddb does; That is, if
> the uploaded tags are trash (GIGO), then I'll still be editing it all
> myself.

For my case, all cddb lookups from GUI tools are fine. The problem is
none of the GUI tools work for me.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/411304

Guess that if you get a popular CD, then it should be fine for you as
well.

> However, I'll give it a try, thanks.

Please do.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
T o n g

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:36:46 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

>> tag the converted ogg music myself *using cddb*. Anybody has done that
>> before?
>
> Yes, but almost invariably, I didn't like what I got from there . . .

Guess I'm lucky that all cddb lookups from GUI tools are fine for me.
Do you still have the code somewhere?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/25/11 at 04:36pm, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:24:26 +0000 (UTC)
> T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello T,
>
> > tag the converted ogg music myself *using cddb*. Anybody has done that
> > before?
>
> Yes, but almost invariably, I didn't like what I got from there;
> Spelling mistakes, wrong CD (CDIDs aren't unique), missing CD, wrong
> genre, you name it. I spent so much time correcting what I received I
> gave up and enter track listings myself.

Seconded. I only have about 10,000 tracks so it was relatively easy to first
fix the naming structure and then tag based on that. THEN I used some custom
automated lookups to get years and genres... but title, track number, album
name, and artist were all present in filename data for me.

--
Liam

Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:16:30 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello T,

> For my case, all cddb lookups from GUI tools are fine. The problem is
> none of the GUI tools work for me.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/411304

I find the tools work, I just don't like the results. :-)

> Guess that if you get a popular CD, then it should be fine for you as
> well.

Spelling mistakes abound, IME.

> > However, I'll give it a try, thanks.
> Please do.

I've given MusicBrainz Picard a quick look, and it seems okay so far.
I'll have a proper look this weekend, time permitting.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
It couldn't adapt so it couldn't survive
The Great British Mistake - The Adverts

Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:29:24 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello T,

> Guess I'm lucky that all cddb lookups from GUI tools are fine for me.
> Do you still have the code somewhere?

I was using KsCD, which pulled in the data automatically from the cddb.
It worked fine, it was just the amount of typos I had to correct, or CDs
not available, or incorrect track lists.

I know nothing is perfect, but I was doing more work than I felt was
necessary.