Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM
T o n g

Default My CD and DVD are messed up

Hi,

On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually /dev/
cdrom1. This confuse most of the media software. How can I fix it?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:26:07 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually
> /dev/ cdrom1. This confuse most of the media software. How can I fix it?

Do you have a fixed entry for both devices in "/etc/fstab"?

If yes, you could adjust it accordingly to meet your requirements.

If no, you could try with udev rules.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
lee

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:

> On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually /dev/
> cdrom1. This confuse most of the media software. How can I fix it?

Do you have entries about these devices in /etc/fstab?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
T o n g

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:49:24 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually
>> /dev/ cdrom1. This confuse most of the media software. How can I fix
>> it?
>
> Do you have a fixed entry for both devices in "/etc/fstab"?
>
> If yes, you could adjust it accordingly to meet your requirements.

Yes, I correct them in "/etc/fstab", but the problem at the device level
still exist, which confuses most of the media software that accessing
directly through device level, not at mount point, eg, rippers.

> If no, you could try with udev rules.

I guess so. but every time I study udev rules, I gave up in convolution.
Any easy fixes?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:22:59 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:49:24 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually
>>> /dev/ cdrom1. This confuse most of the media software. How can I fix
>>> it?
>>
>> Do you have a fixed entry for both devices in "/etc/fstab"?
>>
>> If yes, you could adjust it accordingly to meet your requirements.
>
> Yes, I correct them in "/etc/fstab", but the problem at the device level
> still exist, which confuses most of the media software that accessing
> directly through device level, not at mount point, eg, rippers.

Mmm... if "/dev/cdrom" is poiting to the device of your choice, I can't
see the problem :-?

Can you give a practical example of what you want to get or what is the
real problem you see with the actual behaviour?

>> If no, you could try with udev rules.
>
> I guess so. but every time I study udev rules, I gave up in convolution.
> Any easy fixes?

I'm afraid more information is needed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
T o n g

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:01:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Do you have a fixed entry for both devices in "/etc/fstab"?
>>>
>>> If yes, you could adjust it accordingly to meet your requirements.
>>
>> Yes, I correct them in "/etc/fstab", but the problem at the device
>> level still exist, which confuses most of the media software that
>> accessing directly through device level, not at mount point, eg,
>> rippers.
>
> Mmm... if "/dev/cdrom" is poiting to the device of your choice, I can't
> see the problem :-?
>
> Can you give a practical example of what you want to get or what is the
> real problem you see with the actual behaviour?

On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually
/dev/ cdrom1. So I put my *CD* in my *CD drive* an launch asunder the
ripper to rip it, but nothing happens in asunder. The ripperx will at
least tell me that no media is found in drive.

Clearer this time?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:51:29 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:01:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Yes, I correct them in "/etc/fstab", but the problem at the device
>>> level still exist, which confuses most of the media software that
>>> accessing directly through device level, not at mount point, eg,
>>> rippers.
>>
>> Mmm... if "/dev/cdrom" is poiting to the device of your choice, I can't
>> see the problem :-?
>>
>> Can you give a practical example of what you want to get or what is the
>> real problem you see with the actual behaviour?
>
> On my system the /dev/cdrom is actually DVD while My CD is actually
> /dev/ cdrom1.

That does not match with a "correct" fstab file.

Your primary device (dvd?) should point to "/dev/cdrom0" and
secondary (cd-rom?) to "/dev/cdrom1".

> So I put my *CD* in my *CD drive* an launch asunder the
> ripper to rip it, but nothing happens in asunder. The ripperx will at
> least tell me that no media is found in drive.
>
> Clearer this time?

Yes... well, errr, no.

cat /etc/fstab
dmesg | grep -i -e "cd-rom" -e dvd
ls -l /dev/scd*

I hope this will make things more clear.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM
lee

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> Your primary device (dvd?) should point to "/dev/cdrom0" and secondary
> (cd-rom?) to "/dev/cdrom1".

How does the system decide what the "primary device" and the "secondary
device" are supposed to be? It seems to me that, to the system, DVD
drives look very much like CD drives: There's /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1,
for example. Either of the two can be a CD or a DVD drive, IIRC.

Unlike hard disks, these devices aren't detected by UUID, are they?

Perhaps the OP can figure out which devices he has, which is which, make
appropriate entries in /etc/fstab and hope that the order of devices
doesn't change?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Tom Furie

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 08:32:28PM +0200, lee wrote:

> Perhaps the OP can figure out which devices he has, which is which, make
> appropriate entries in /etc/fstab and hope that the order of devices
> doesn't change?

Or perhaps edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules so that the
devices get the links in /dev that he wants.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Merchandise can be shipped only upon receipt of payment.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:32:28 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Your primary device (dvd?) should point to "/dev/cdrom0" and secondary
>> (cd-rom?) to "/dev/cdrom1".
>
> How does the system decide what the "primary device" and the "secondary
> device" are supposed to be?

That used to come from a BIOS setting.

- SATA port 0 comes before SATA port 1 and so on...
- IDE interface can be set to be detected before or after SATA...
- SCSI devices attached to the controller can be managed at first or
after SATA/IDE...

> It seems to me that, to the system, DVD drives look very much like CD
> drives: There's /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1, for example. Either of the
> two can be a CD or a DVD drive, IIRC.

Yep, priority is deciced based only in a controller/port setting. *But*
with today udev automatisms, I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for that
:-)

> Unlike hard disks, these devices aren't detected by UUID, are they?

Let's see:

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 jun 28 07:56 /dev/disk/by-uuid/c6454fe5-20a5-4a58-bbdd-2f2c52dd5ca2 -> ../../sda3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 jun 28 07:56 /dev/disk/by-uuid/cabbc008-f461-4691-b799-36fe39f39c68 -> ../../sdb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 jun 28 07:56 /dev/disk/by-uuid/ff87e2f7-0a9c-4cb8-bedb-eac6b479ef59 -> ../../sda2

My DVD unit is not there.

Indeed, is not under any "/dev/disk/*" node. Udev creates a symbolic link
/dev/sdc* which points to /dev/sr*.

> Perhaps the OP can figure out which devices he has, which is which, make
> appropriate entries in /etc/fstab and hope that the order of devices
> doesn't change?

Yep, or use udev rules:

CD/DVD drives
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-cdrom