Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default Experience of Debian in a Macbook pro

Hi,

I use MacBook (Old while one) via rEFIT.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:17:55AM -0400, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to buy a laptop. And I love the Macbooks pro. But I will
> mainly run Debian. Is it worthy to buy a mac to run Debian?
>
> I look into the documentation of rEFIT and it looks like a "hack" to
> emulate the BIOS. It is a pity that there is not a cleaner way to run
> linux on a Mac

EFI boot is not working for me. I think Mathew blog is correct, too.

> Do you have a good experience running Debian in a Mac?

So far, so good. It's nice looking.

YOU HAVE CONTROL key in right position. How much more you want!

Osamu

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Osamu Aoki

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Dan

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:17:55AM -0400, Dan wrote:
>> I would like to buy a laptop. And I love the Macbooks pro. But I will mainly
>> run Debian. Is it worthy to buy a mac to run Debian?
>
> Former Debian developer and current kernel hacker Matthew Garrett advises
> against it: <http://mjg59.livejournal.com/136710.html>

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but he does not give an specific reason.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Dan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:17:55AM -0400, Dan wrote:
> >> I would like to buy a laptop. And I love the Macbooks pro. But I will mainly
> >> run Debian. Is it worthy to buy a mac to run Debian?
> >
> > Former Debian developer and current kernel hacker Matthew Garrett advises
> > against it: <http://mjg59.livejournal.com/136710.html>
>
> Thanks for the link, but he does not give an specific reason.

When Garrett is on the case of some hardware that is not violating the GPL,
it usually means its firmware was designed in R'lyeh.

And he made his reasons quite clear, too:

"If you're going to boot Linux on bare-metal Apple hardware via EFI, and it
doesn't work, write a patch. Apple's firmware has a number of quirks that
I'm aware of and we're working through them, but anyone filing bugs against
Apple hardware on EFI right now is likely to be ignored for a significant
period of time until there's an expectation that it'll actually work. Maybe
in six months or so".

Henrique Holschuh