Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Default debian 6.0 boot failure after update to grub2

Excerpts from lee's message of 2011-06-27 20:57:55 +0200:
> Philipp ‹berbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> writes:
>
> > However, after spending many hours on this (thanks phcoder from #grub)
> > it turned out that necessary modules were missing from initramfs.
> > Adding jfs was enough for the system to boot in qemu but not for the
> > real hardware. I've not yet found out what's necessary for that. So,
> > almost solved.. and not sure what to put into the bug report yet.
>
> Since I'm not using JFS and had similar symptoms, it's probably not only
> related to JFS modules. You could say in the bug report that systems
> eventually become unable to boot because of modules missing from
> initramfs. IIRC, there has been an update of mkinitramfs or
> update-initramfs a while ago in Testing --- that was after I found
> myself unable to boot my kernel. I don't know whether this updated is
> related at all, though.

I'm now at the point where it boots in qemu and via usb-boot from my
laptop but not in the real hardware. I need to get a serial-to-usb
adapter to diagnose further, working blind doesn't help a lot...

Regarding modules:
I found that there's a file that overrides the
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules settings, it's called
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy
In my case this file was set to "deps" and did override "most".
I think it's a really bad idea to have multiple config files for the
same thing...

Thanks for your suggestions,
regards,
Philipp

Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
lee

Philipp ‹berbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> writes:

> Excerpts from lee's message of 2011-06-27 20:57:55 +0200:
>
> I'm now at the point where it boots in qemu and via usb-boot from my
> laptop but not in the real hardware. I need to get a serial-to-usb
> adapter to diagnose further, working blind doesn't help a lot...
>
> Regarding modules:
> I found that there's a file that overrides the
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules settings, it's called
> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy
> In my case this file was set to "deps" and did override "most".
> I think it's a really bad idea to have multiple config files for the
> same thing...

Yeah, that won't be good. I checked and found that I don't have the
file.

,---- [ apt-cache show initramfs-tools ]
`----