Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Aidan Gauland

Default Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze

Hi,

I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
booted my system, X failed to start. Seeing that the version of the
Nvidia drivers in sid were the same as those direct from Nvidia's
website, I tried upgrading the drivers to those from sid. I restarted
XDM (via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart), but it still failed to start.
(I have attached the relevant parts of /var/log/xdm.log from immediately
after this failure, as well as my xorg.conf file.) I then tried purging
all nvidia packages (and downgrading back to squeeze any dependencies
that were pulled in from sid) and installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as
instructed by <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers>), but still
no joy; the same error.

What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Aidan Gauland

Hi,

I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
booted my system, X failed to start. When seeing that the Nvidia
drivers in sid are the same version as those direct from Nvidia's
website, I tried upgrading the nvidia driver packages on my system to
the sid versions. I then restarted X via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart,
but it still failed to start. Here is the error from /var/log/xdm.conf:

FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

So I then tried purging (and downgrading back to squeeze any packages
that were upgraded as dependencies of) the nvidia packages and
installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as directed by
<http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS>). Still no joy;
the same error.

What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

(Note: I have attached my xorg.conf file.)

Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> So I then tried purging (and downgrading back to squeeze any packages
> that were upgraded as dependencies of) the nvidia packages and
> installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as directed by
> <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS>). Still no joy;
> the same error.
>
> What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?
>
> Regards,
> Aidan Gauland
>
> (Note: I have attached my xorg.conf file.)

Hi Aidan!
Did you install the nvidia-glx package?

A good way to see, what is happening, is to move /etc/init.d/kdm out of the
way, Doing so, it will not start at boot.

After boot, you can start X by the command "startx". The console is now
showing you, what is happening.

If it does not work, check if nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx are from the same
version. The nvidia-kernel-module can easily unloaded with rmmod nvidia, and
loaded with modprobe nvidia.

If you want to use the drivers from sid in squeeze, I doubt, this will work.
It has something to do with the kernel-version and the compiler. I suppose,
you will need to use the kernel from sid to. To install the stuff from sid, add
the repository in /etc/apt/sourcers.list, then apt-get update and then apt-get
install myrequiredstuff -t sid.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hans

Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:46:26 +1200, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
> booted my system, X failed to start.

Weird, unless the new card is not suported by the installed driver.

> When seeing that the Nvidia drivers in sid are the same version as
> those direct from Nvidia's website, I tried upgrading the nvidia driver
> packages on my system to the sid versions.

Why? You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
dependencies.

> I then restarted X via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart, but it still
> failed to start. Here is the error from /var/log/xdm.conf:
>
> FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
> (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

Nvidia package is build against a specific kernel version.

> So I then tried purging (and downgrading back to squeeze any packages
> that were upgraded as dependencies of) the nvidia packages and
> installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as directed by
> <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS>). Still no joy;
> the same error.
>
> What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?

(...)

You first need to find out what of the nvidia driver version supports
your VGA card and then decide what way to follow.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Aidan Gauland

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:
> Hi Aidan!
> Did you install the nvidia-glx package?

Yes, that was pulled in by nvidia-kernel-dkms (directly or indirectly).

> A good way to see, what is happening, is to move /etc/init.d/kdm out of the
> way, Doing so, it will not start at boot.
>
> After boot, you can start X by the command "startx". The console is now
> showing you, what is happening.

Can't I just look at the log files to see the same thing?

> If you want to use the drivers from sid in squeeze, I doubt, this will
> work. It has something to do with the kernel-version and the
> compiler. I suppose, you will need to use the kernel from sid to. To
> install the stuff from sid, add the repository in
> /etc/apt/sourcers.list, then apt-get update and then apt-get install
> myrequiredstuff -t sid.

Yes, I had wondered myself if there aren't incompatibilities, even if
the packages are not marked as conflicting. I think it might be easier
to go the non-Debian, Nvidia way (sadly). On Debian, how can I undo
whatever the Nvidia installer does? I'd feel more comfortable running
it, knowing how to (safely) reverse its effects.

Thanks,
Aidan

Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/06/11 20:33, Aidan Gauland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
> booted my system, X failed to start. Seeing that the version of the
> Nvidia drivers in sid were the same as those direct from Nvidia's
> website, I tried upgrading the drivers to those from sid. I restarted
> XDM (via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart), but it still failed to start.
> (I have attached the relevant parts of /var/log/xdm.log from immediately
> after this failure, as well as my xorg.conf file.) I then tried purging
> all nvidia packages (and downgrading back to squeeze any dependencies
> that were pulled in from sid) and installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as
> instructed by <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers>), but still
> no joy; the same error.
>
> What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?
>
> Regards,
> Aidan Gauland

I haven't tried the nvidia drivers from Sid - however I do run the
commercial nvidia drivers on Squeeze using the Nvidia installer. See
attached for my xorg.conf

NOTE: mines a legacy Nvidia card:-
scott@work:~$ lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2
MX200] (rev b2)

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> Yes, I had wondered myself if there aren't incompatibilities, even if
> the packages are not marked as conflicting. I think it might be easier
> to go the non-Debian, Nvidia way (sadly). On Debian, how can I undo
> whatever the Nvidia installer does? I'd feel more comfortable running
> it, knowing how to (safely) reverse its effects.
>
> Thanks,
> Aidan

To get rid of the nvidia stuff and its config, you can do either

apt-get --purge remove nvidia-* (that is my way)

or use aptitude GUI and remove all packages manually. After that, you can
start

orphaner

which is a nice GUI to uninstall orphaned libs. At last I suggest to so

aptitude purge ~c

which purges ALL config files from any uninstalled package.

There is also a command called deborphan, but I never used it.
Besides, when I remember correctly, there is an option, to build a debian
package from Nvidia-*****.run, but I am not sure, Maybe I mix it in my mind
with the fglrx-*****.run from ATI....

Good luck!

Hans

Old 06-25-2011, 03:40 PM
lee

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?

Perhaps you're missing some packages?

,----
`----

,----
| lee@yun:~/tmp/naming$ dpkg --get-selections |grep -i dkms
| dkms install
| nvidia-kernel-dkms install
`----

There's also the nouveu (or how it's spelled) module which you must not
load when you want to use the nvidia module.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Aidan Gauland

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
> dependencies.

Yes, I think I'll go that route. Bit of a problem, though: the Nvidia
installer warns me that

"The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
match the current compiler (gcc 4.4). The Linux 2.6 kernel module
loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not
exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."

Why on Earth is the squeeze kernel image not built with the version
squeeze version of gcc? http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcc

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 AM
lee

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
>> dependencies.
>
> Yes, I think I'll go that route. Bit of a problem, though: the Nvidia
> installer warns me that

If you ask in #debian on irc.debian.org, you'll be told that the
installer from NVIDIA is deprecated because it overwrites files and may
cause trouble. I used it for many years and never had problems with
it. When you use it, you need to watch out for X related updates, and
I'd recommend to re-install the driver when such updates are performed.

> "The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
> match the current compiler (gcc 4.4). The Linux 2.6 kernel module
> loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not
> exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."
>
> Why on Earth is the squeeze kernel image not built with the version
> squeeze version of gcc? http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcc

That happens frequently. Use the Debian packages ...