Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
"H.S."

Default virtualbox cannot see USB anymore

Hello.

I am running an updating Testing box. For some reasons, I had to use
Windows 7 and installed Virtualbox.

First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.

Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
script not being found during boot. The message is something like:
$> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.

However, the file does exist. Looks like virtualbox is trying to run the
script even before the partitions are mounted. So looks like something
changed in udev or something related. In any case, my USB support is now
gone.

Can somebody guide me as to how to fix this or how to get USB support
with stock Debian package (preferable)?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Steve Kleene

At 2011-06-25 01:19:03, H.S. wrote:

> I am running an updating Testing box. ... In any case, my USB support is now
> gone.

I also have testing and vbox and have sometimes been able to restore USB by
changing a line in my xpvm.vbox file. The line that works is this:

<USBController enabled="true" enabledEhci="false"/>

If "false" gets changed to "true", USB no longer works.

This may not be your problem, since you're getting an error message I haven't
seen. My installation doesn't even have the file you mentioned
(/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh).

Old 06-25-2011, 02:42 AM
wolf python london

On 25 June 2011 09:19, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running an updating Testing box. For some reasons, I had to use
> Windows 7 and installed Virtualbox.
>
> First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
> does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
> Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
> That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.
>
> Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
> script not being found during boot. The message is something like:
> $> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.

I have this problem too!

> However, the file does exist. Looks like virtualbox is trying to run the
> script even before the partitions are mounted. So looks like something
> changed in udev or something related. In any case, my USB support is now
> gone.

but my USB support is fine . I cannot figure it out why at the moment.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/06/11 11:19, H.S. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running an updating Testing box. For some reasons, I had to use
> Windows 7 and installed Virtualbox.
>
> First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
> does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
> Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
> That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.
>
> Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
> script not being found during boot. The message is something like:
> $> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.
>
> However, the file does exist. Looks like virtualbox is trying to run the
> script even before the partitions are mounted. So looks like something
> changed in udev or something related. In any case, my USB support is now
> gone.
>
> Can somebody guide me as to how to fix this or how to get USB support
> with stock Debian package (preferable)?
>
> Thanks.

Have you installed the latest Guest Additions? If so have you run:-

# apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

since??

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:19:03 -0400, H.S. wrote:

(...)

> First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
> does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
> Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
> That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.
>
> Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
> script not being found during boot. The message is something like: $>
> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.

(...)

Updates can to bork VM settings. You can try Steve's suggestion or even
be a bit more radical and test with a complete "~/.VirtualBox" empty/new
profile (do not delete the old one, just move it to another place).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
"H.S."

On 25/06/11 04:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:19:03 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
>> does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
>> Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
>> That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.
>>
>> Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
>> script not being found during boot. The message is something like: $>
>> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.
>
> (...)
>
> Updates can to bork VM settings. You can try Steve's suggestion or even
> be a bit more radical and test with a complete "~/.VirtualBox" empty/new
> profile (do not delete the old one, just move it to another place).
>
> Greetings,

So here is what I did. Purged Oracle's virtual box, removed my
~/.VirtualBox. Purged the package's installation directory (had some
modules that aptitude didn't remove) and followed that by installing
Debian's Virtualbox package. I then installed the extension I am using
from Oracle's website.

Now I have USB support and I can read USB sticks from within the guest
OS. However, I am unable to work my Tomtom GPS unit via USB. Not sure
where the problem lies anymore, since the Tomtom unit actually connects
as a network or something, instead of a storage device. So it could be
Tomtom (but I was able to work with it till about a couple of weeks ago)
or the new updates in Debian.

ever having been read.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:10:52 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> On 25/06/11 04:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Updates can to bork VM settings. You can try Steve's suggestion or even
>> be a bit more radical and test with a complete "~/.VirtualBox"
>> empty/new profile (do not delete the old one, just move it to another
>> place).
>>

> So here is what I did. Purged Oracle's virtual box, removed my
> ~/.VirtualBox. Purged the package's installation directory (had some
> modules that aptitude didn't remove) and followed that by installing
> Debian's Virtualbox package. I then installed the extension I am using
> from Oracle's website.

He, that's even a more radical step than I suggested :-)

> Now I have USB support and I can read USB sticks from within the guest
> OS. However, I am unable to work my Tomtom GPS unit via USB. Not sure
> where the problem lies anymore, since the Tomtom unit actually connects
> as a network or something, instead of a storage device. So it could be
> Tomtom (but I was able to work with it till about a couple of weeks ago)
> or the new updates in Debian.

Are you getting any error in VM machine that let you Google for that?
Also, visit VirtualBox forums and search for "tomtom", just in case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón