Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Daniel Skowroński

Default Installing some packages needs not original DVD

Hello,
I am using Debian 6 x86_64 on netbook (Acer AOD255 - Intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz with HT & 2GB RAM). In Software Center there are some packages that needs DVD to install. When I was trying to install Chromium there is alert like that (I'm translating from polish): "CD/DVD 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeze_ - Official i386┬* DVD Binary-1 20110205-17:27 is required". There is also information, that I have to mount it to /media/cdrom to install.

For first I don't have DVD in my netbook, but i can plug in my DVD via SATA bridge on USB (in the same way I installed Debian). But I have only x86_64 media and system doesn't let me to continue with wrong architecture.

I know that I could download & compile it from sources but it's stupid that I need DVD to install some packages if I have Internet! There are some packages like Chromium which I can't install using Internet connection. It's main idea for installing some packages only form DVD, but system says that I should use DVD with other architecture.

D.S.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Lisi

On Friday 24 June 2011 18:35:34 Daniel Skowroński wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using Debian 6 x86_64 on netbook (Acer AOD255 - Intel Atom N450 1.66
> GHz with HT & 2GB RAM). In Software Center there are some packages that
> needs DVD to install. When I was trying to install Chromium there is alert
> like that (I'm translating from polish): "CD/DVD 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0
> _Squeze_ - Official *i386 * DVD Binary-1 20110205-17:27 is required". There
> is also information, that I have to mount it to /media/cdrom to install.
> For first I don't have DVD in my netbook, but i can plug in my DVD via SATA
> bridge on USB (in the same way I installed Debian). But I have only
> *x86_64*media and system doesn't let me to continue with wrong
> architecture.
> I know that I could download & compile it from sources but *it's stupid
> that I need DVD to install some packages if I have Internet!* There are
> some packages like Chromium which I can't install using Internet
> connection. It's main idea for installing some packages only form DVD, but
> system says that I should use DVD* with other **architecture. *

Have you commented out the DVD in your /etc/apt/sources.list? If not, that is
the probable cause of your problem and is easily rectified. (You also, of
course, need network sources in your sources.list, but I assume that you have
got those??)

Lisi

Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Camale├│n

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:35:34 +0200, Daniel Skowroński wrote:

> I am using Debian 6 x86_64 on netbook (Acer AOD255 - Intel Atom N450
> 1.66 GHz with HT & 2GB RAM). In Software Center there are some packages
> that needs DVD to install.

I've never used Software Center before (to be sincere, dunno what is
that :-P) but maybe the problem is only reproducible from there. Have you
tried using Synaptic or apt/aptitude to get the package? Just to see if
there is any difference.

> When I was trying to install Chromium there
> is alert like that (I'm translating from polish): "CD/DVD 'Debian
> GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeze_ - Official *i386 * DVD Binary-1 20110205-17:27
> is required". There is also information, that I have to mount it to
> /media/cdrom to install. For first I don't have DVD in my netbook, but i
> can plug in my DVD via SATA bridge on USB (in the same way I installed
> Debian). But I have only *x86_64*media and system doesn't let me to
> continue with wrong architecture.

Yep, sounds creepy :-}

> I know that I could download & compile it from sources but *it's stupid
> that I need DVD to install some packages if I have Internet!* There are
> some packages like Chromium which I can't install using Internet
> connection. It's main idea for installing some packages only form DVD,
> but system says that I should use DVD* with other **architecture. *

That should not happen. I'm afraid it can be an error somewhere but for
sure having to use a DVD/CD as a media source it should not be required
at all, even less requesting for a different architecture.

Greetings,

--
Camale├│n

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Daniel Skowroński
<d.skowronski@dshome.tk> wrote:

> I am using Debian 6 x86_64 on netbook (Acer AOD255 - Intel Atom N450 1.66
> GHz with HT & 2GB RAM). In Software Center there are some packages that
> needs DVD to install. When I was trying to install Chromium there is alert
> like that (I'm translating from polish): "CD/DVD 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0
> _Squeze_ - Official i386┬* DVD Binary-1 20110205-17:27 is required". There is
> also information, that I have to mount it to /media/cdrom to install.
> For first I don't have DVD in my netbook, but i can plug in my DVD via SATA
> bridge on USB (in the same way I installed Debian). But I have only x86_64
> media and system doesn't let me to continue with wrong architecture.
> I know that I could download & compile it from sources but it's stupid that
> I need DVD to install some packages if I have Internet! There are some
> packages like Chromium which I can't install using Internet connection. It's
> main idea for installing some packages only form DVD, but system says that I
> should use DVD with other architecture.

I thought that this was a bug that had been ironed out.

The CD/DVD entries in "/etc/apt/sources.list" aren't commented out
after an install.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 25 iun 11, 13:22:24, Tom H wrote:

> I thought that this was a bug that had been ironed out.
>
> The CD/DVD entries in "/etc/apt/sources.list" aren't commented out
> after an install.

Why should they? The CD/DVD is still faster than most internet
connections.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Daniel Skowroński

Becouse some computers doesn't have CD-ROM and without CD/DVD user can't continue installation. I found entries and deleted it. There shuld be way to skip CDs or DVDs on refresheng repos.

DS

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 29 June 2011 20:06:04 Daniel Skowroński wrote:
> Becouse some computers doesn't have CD-ROM and without CD/DVD user can't
> continue installation. I found entries and deleted it. There shuld be way
> to skip CDs or DVDs on refresheng repos.

You could have commented out the entries, but instead deleted them. That's
fine too. There is a way, and you found it. ;-)

Lisi

Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 30/06/11 05:06, Daniel Skowroński wrote:
> Becouse some computers doesn't have CD-ROM and without CD/DVD user can't
> continue installation. I found entries and deleted it. There shuld be
> way to skip CDs or DVDs on refresheng repos.
>
> DS

There is (a way).
You did it (put a comment in front of the source line). :-)

While the "solution" might appear to be:-
1. identify install medium/source (fixed drive, removable drive, iso on
fixed drive, iso on removable drive, pxe, dvd/cd etc, etc, etc)
2. add install medium/source to sources.list
3. finish install and test for existence of install medium/source
4. if install medium/source still present - enable entry in sources.list
5....

It doesn't allow for a myriad of other situations (eg. add online
repositories and custom local repositories to install source, build time
setup is only for build time).
So the most common source of install packages for the lowest skilled
installer is made the default.

Perhaps as well as an end of build instruction to remove the install
media before rebooting (for those that reboot) could be accompanied by
instruction on how to comment out the DVD/CD source lines - but that
creates problems for the many that will want to use the original CD/DVD
as a source for additional package installs. I guess that's the very
small price we pay for a huge range of installation choices.

Cheers

P.S. While you're commenting out the install CD/DVD lines from
sources.list - presumably because you want to pull further packages from
somewhere else. If you're not going to build anything from source -
comment out the scr lines as well. It'll mean an update pulls down less
data.

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of
the loop.