FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
lee
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:

> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't create/write
> filenames containing accented chars, especially when copying music from my
> amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of brazilian, french and
> italian music has plenty of accented chars in filenames).

It's a very bad idea to use special characters (or spaces) in file
names. You can get it to work, and it may cause trouble when your locale
settings change or when you try to use the files on other
computers. You're already experiencing such trouble, so why make it
difficult?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87k4cbjyio.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87k4cbjyio.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Raffaele Morelli
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

2011/6/24 lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>

Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:



> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't create/write

> filenames containing accented chars, especially when copying music from my

> amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of brazilian, french and

> italian music has plenty of accented chars in filenames).



It's a very bad idea to use special characters (or spaces) in file

names. You can get it to work, and it may cause trouble when your locale

settings change or when you try to use the files on other

computers. You're already experiencing such trouble, so why make it

difficult?
well, I never use whitespaces and accented chars when working on linux, but... when your music collection it's about 32.027 tracks (I am a guitar player and music lover) it's difficult to get rid of accented chars :-) (should I drop baden powell? joao gilberto?...)

BTW replacing accented chars using some one-line program could do you more harm than ever
-r
 
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:05:17 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> create/write filenames containing accented chars, especially when
> copying music from my amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of
> brazilian, french and italian music has plenty of accented chars in
> filenames).

(...)

For this kind of weird issues, what it usually helps is mounting the
device manually (with "mount" command) and trying to write a file in
there, also, from command line. Hopefully the error you get can shed some
light on the problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.24.13.51.11@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.24.13.51.11@gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:05:17 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> create/write filenames containing accented chars, especially when
> copying music from my amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of
> brazilian, french and italian music has plenty of accented chars in
> filenames).

(...)

For this kind of weird issues, what it usually helps is mounting the
device manually (with "mount" command) and trying to write a file in
there, also, from command line. Hopefully the error you get can shed some
light on the problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.24.13.51.11@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.24.13.51.11@gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
lee
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:

> 2011/6/24 lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>
>> Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
>> create/write
>> > filenames containing accented chars, especially when copying music from
>> my
>> > amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of brazilian, french and
>> > italian music has plenty of accented chars in filenames).
>>
>> It's a very bad idea to use special characters (or spaces) in file
>> names.
>
> well, I never use whitespaces and accented chars when working on linux,
> but... when your music collection it's about 32.027 tracks (I am a guitar
> player and music lover) it's difficult to get rid of accented chars :-)
> (should I drop baden powell? joao gilberto?...)

Just don't introduce them in the first place. Why would you have to
remove some files?

> BTW replacing accented chars using some one-line program could do you
> more harm than ever

Does it matter how many lines such a program has?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ei2j494n.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87ei2j494n.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
lee
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:

> 2011/6/24 lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>
>> Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
>> create/write
>> > filenames containing accented chars, especially when copying music from
>> my
>> > amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of brazilian, french and
>> > italian music has plenty of accented chars in filenames).
>>
>> It's a very bad idea to use special characters (or spaces) in file
>> names.
>
> well, I never use whitespaces and accented chars when working on linux,
> but... when your music collection it's about 32.027 tracks (I am a guitar
> player and music lover) it's difficult to get rid of accented chars :-)
> (should I drop baden powell? joao gilberto?...)

Just don't introduce them in the first place. Why would you have to
remove some files?

> BTW replacing accented chars using some one-line program could do you
> more harm than ever

Does it matter how many lines such a program has?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ei2j494n.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87ei2j494n.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:51:11 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:05:17 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>
> > I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> > create/write filenames containing accented chars, especially when
> > copying music from my amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of
> > brazilian, french and italian music has plenty of accented chars in
> > filenames).
>
> (...)
>
> For this kind of weird issues, what it usually helps is mounting the
> device manually (with "mount" command) and trying to write a file in
> there, also, from command line. Hopefully the error you get can shed some
> light on the problem.
>

Also is it possible that the characters are in the filename but they are not being displayed ?

I have US locale set to en_US.UTF-8 and accented characters work in filenames.

Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110624075035.07467833@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110624075035.07467833@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

On 24/06/11 20:05, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> create/write filenames containing accented chars, especially when
> copying music from my amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of
> brazilian, french and italian music has plenty of accented chars in
> filenames).
>
> Is it a locale problem? I have got all locales installed, my default
> is it_IT@euro. Tried with utf8 and others with no success.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Regards Raffaele
>

I'm looking for a solution to the same problem.

You might find this page instructive:-
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

My system is set to LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, filesystems ext3 and ext4, I
suspect the file names where originally created using an ISO character
set. See an example:-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/06/pngTe0u43cmOF.png

I don't think the "no white spaces" and "no accented characters" "rule"
is valid in the 21st century. But if some one can put up an
authoritative, and recent, reason I'll reconsider.

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E04AE9E.6020306@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E04AE9E.6020306@gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
David Jardine
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:34:54AM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> I don't think the "no white spaces" and "no accented characters" "rule"
> is valid in the 21st century. But if some one can put up an
> authoritative, and recent, reason I'll reconsider.
>

You won't get anything authoritative from me, but I have noticed traps
for the unwary, for example:

$ mkdir newdir; cd newdir
$ touch 'one space' 'and two spaces'
$ for jim in *; do echo $jim; done
and two spaces
one space

So far, so good, but:

$ for jim in `ls`; do echo $jim; done
and
two
spaces
one
space

which is not what was intended.

Cheers,
David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110624220549.GB3067@gennes.augarten">http://lists.debian.org/20110624220549.GB3067@gennes.augarten
 
Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 AM
lee
 
Default Accented chars in filenames issue

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think the "no white spaces" and "no accented characters"
> "rule" is valid in the 21st century. But if some one can put up an
> authoritative, and recent, reason I'll reconsider.

Since (unfortunately) there isn't anything preventing users from
creating files with names that contain special characters or spaces, you
could say that there isn't such a rule anymore.

Nonetheless I advise against it, very un-authoritatively of course,
because it can be troublesome to create files with special characters or
spaces in their names.

To give a silly example, a file named "-rf *" or "rm -rf *" could turn
out to be disastrous. Using other special characters, for example ä, ü,
ö, and ß, can give you trouble when locale settings change and may have
effects that I'm even not aware of.

It's only common sense not to create file names that are likely to yield
unexpected results.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87mxh6epf0.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/87mxh6epf0.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org