Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Jason Filippou

Default Frequent weezy freezes on amd64 architecture (possibly KDE-related)?

Hello all,

I have just completed a fresh installation of debian wheezy,
architecture amd64, with KDE included and I've been experiencing
frequent freezes of the OS. At seemingly random intervals, all my apps
seem to stop, and the key combinations to kill the X server or reboot
the system don't work either. At first I thought that my Flash
workaround and the fact that it loaded an alternative memcpy()
implementation had something to do with it, so I loaded my browsers
without it, but the freezes persisted even when I didn't have any
browsers open. I disabled KDE's file indexing service, but no luck. I
even killed all desktop effects to see if the crash was
graphics-hardware related, but to no avail.

Has anybody else been experiencing the same kind of random freezes on
amd64 wheezy with KDE? I would try GNOME, but currently a couple of
package collissions have rendered a successful GNOME installation
unfeasible, so I'm looking towards a solution that would keep KDE on
my system. Any further information required of me will be happily
provided.

Please CC me as I am on a list subscriber.

Thanks a million,

Jason

--
Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:06:01 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:

> I have just completed a fresh installation of debian wheezy,
> architecture amd64, with KDE included and I've been experiencing
> frequent freezes of the OS. At seemingly random intervals, all my apps
> seem to stop, and the key combinations to kill the X server or reboot
> the system don't work either.

Try to login from a remote computer via ssh and check if that still
works. Maybe is just X what crashed.

> At first I thought that my Flash workaround and the fact that it loaded
> an alternative memcpy() implementation had something to do with it, so
> I loaded my browsers without it, but the freezes persisted even when I
> didn't have any browsers open. I disabled KDE's file indexing service,
> but no luck. I even killed all desktop effects to see if the crash was
> graphics-hardware related, but to no avail.
>
> Has anybody else been experiencing the same kind of random freezes on
> amd64 wheezy with KDE? I would try GNOME, but currently a couple of
> package collissions have rendered a successful GNOME installation
> unfeasible, so I'm looking towards a solution that would keep KDE on my
> system. Any further information required of me will be happily provided.

System crashes can be hard to debug. They can be software (problematic
VGA or wireless driver) or hardware related (bad ram, micro or a hard
disk error).

Should you had the oppotunity, leave the system with no X server loaded
at all (yes, I'm aware that having a non graphical environment is not
very convenient for most of the users but if the crash tends to manifest
very quickly and your system is still up after -let's say- 30 minutes
then you may have a clue...

Also, look at the logs, just in case there is a kernel "oops" or
something that can help you to find the origin of the crash.

> Please CC me as I am on a list subscriber.

Sorry, I can't. I'm using a newsreader and replying via nntp server ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Jason Filippou

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Marc Ronell <mronell@verizon.net> wrote:

> * *Jason> Hello all, I have just completed a fresh installation of
> * *Jason> debian wheezy, architecture amd64, with KDE included and
> * *Jason> I've been experiencing frequent freezes of the OS. At
> * *Jason> seemingly random intervals, all my apps seem to stop, and
> * *Jason> the key combinations to kill the X server or reboot the
> * *Jason> system don't work either. At first I thought that my Flash
> * *Jason> workaround and the fact that it loaded an alternative
> * *Jason> memcpy() implementation had something to do with it, so I
> * *Jason> loaded my browsers without it, but the freezes persisted
> * *Jason> even when I didn't have any browsers open. I disabled
> * *Jason> KDE's file indexing service, but no luck. I even killed all
> * *Jason> desktop effects to see if the crash was graphics-hardware
> * *Jason> related, but to no avail.
>
> * *Jason> Has anybody else been experiencing the same kind of random
> * *Jason> freezes on amd64 wheezy with KDE? I would try GNOME, but
> * *Jason> currently a couple of package collissions have rendered a
> * *Jason> successful GNOME installation unfeasible, so I'm looking
> * *Jason> towards a solution that would keep KDE on my system. Any
> * *Jason> further information required of me will be happily
> * *Jason> provided.
>
> * *Jason> Please CC me as I am on a list subscriber.
>
> * *Jason> Thanks a million,
>
> * *Jason> Jason
>
> * *Jason> -- Jason Filippou
>
> * *Jason> http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142
>

> Jason,
>
> Do *you have *a RAID *configuration running? * You would *have *had to
> actively setup the *RAID system I think and would *know it existed. If
> you do *have RAID, maybe *the disks are *syncing and that *is stalling
> your system. *Check /proc/mdstat by using
>
> cat /proc/mdstat
>
> --

Dear Marc,

Sorry for the belated response. I do not have a RAID configuration.
Maybe it would help if I mentioned that I recently upgraded my
hardware with a WD Velociraptor hard disk and 4 GB of RAM (KINGSTON
KHX6400D2LLK2/4G HYPERX DDR2 4G). My motherboard is a MSI P965 Neo F,

Also, today I installed a new CPU (the E660 Core 2 DUO Intel CPU) and
it appears that both my new amd64 wheezy (on the new WD Velociraptor
disk) and old i386 wheezy on an older hard disk, which has been fully
operational for the last four years, crash a lot.

I am at a loss as to whether there are any known hardware
incompatibilities between Debian and my newly acquired hardware. I am
willing to provide any more information.

Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142