Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
T o n g

Default Ripping CD

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.

Sorry to bring up an "old" topic again, but I felt that a popular tools 3
or 5 years ago might not be popular any more and there might be better
(developed/maintained) tools available now.

Seems that all such GUI tools are based on cdparanoia. I'm mostly looking
for GTK or CLI based tools. But still, there are lots to choose from. I'm
wondering what's the popular and better developed and maintained ones.

Also, if I want to copy audio CDs as-is. or convert/burn existing encoded
audio files to CD, including the Lossless compression APE format, what's
the proper tools for that?

All in all, I'm asking for a all-round solution for CD ripping/writing
tools.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 06-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Elimar Riesebieter

* T o n g [110623 16:08 +0000]:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.
>
> Sorry to bring up an "old" topic again, but I felt that a popular tools 3
> or 5 years ago might not be popular any more and there might be better
> (developed/maintained) tools available now.
>
> Seems that all such GUI tools are based on cdparanoia. I'm mostly looking
> for GTK or CLI based tools. But still, there are lots to choose from. I'm
> wondering what's the popular and better developed and maintained ones.

ripit
abcde

--
On the keyboard of life you have always
to keep a finger at the escape key;-)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 PM
green

T o n g wrote at 2011-06-23 10:08 -0600:
> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.

The "crip" package is what I have had I mind for ripping if I need to
sometime. I am not sure if I have actually used it.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Memnon Anon

Hi,

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.

I like jack.

,----[ aptitude show jack ]
| Jack has been developed with one main goal: making OGGs (or MP3s)
| without having to worry. There is nearly no way that an incomplete rip
| goes unnoticed, e.g. jack compares WAV and OGG file sizes when
| continuing from a previous run. Jack also checks your HD space before
| doing anything (even keeps some MB free).
| .
| [...]
| - it supports different rippers and encoders
| - it is very configurable
| - it doesn't need X
| - it can "rip" virtual CD images like the ones created by cdrdao
| - when using cdparanoia, cdparanoia's status information is displayed
| and archived for all tracks, so you can see if something went wrong
| - it uses sophisticated disk space management, i.e. it schedules its
| ripping/encoding processes depending on available space.
| - freedb query, file renaming and id3/ogg-tagging
| - it can resume work after it has been interrupted. If all tracks have
| been ripped, it doesn't even need the CD anymore, even if you want
| to do a freedb query.
| - it can do a freedb query based on OGGs alone, like if you don't
| remember from which CD those OGGs came from.
| - freedb submissions
`----

Memnon

Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Andreas Rönnquist

T o n g skrev 2011-06-23 18:08:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.
>
> Sorry to bring up an "old" topic again, but I felt that a popular tools 3
> or 5 years ago might not be popular any more and there might be better
> (developed/maintained) tools available now.

asunder is pretty nice for the ripping part of your request (lightweight
and GTK-based) - It will make use of lame from Debian Multimedia for mp3
support if you have it installed (I only use it for ripping cd's to ogg
myself). It doesn't do cd copying, but only ripping. And yes, it is
based on cdparanoia.

More info here:
http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/

/Andreas
gusnan@gusnan.se

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from T o n g's message of 2011-06-23 18:08:36 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.
>
> Sorry to bring up an "old" topic again, but I felt that a popular tools 3
> or 5 years ago might not be popular any more and there might be better
> (developed/maintained) tools available now.
>
> Seems that all such GUI tools are based on cdparanoia. I'm mostly looking
> for GTK or CLI based tools. But still, there are lots to choose from. I'm
> wondering what's the popular and better developed and maintained ones.
>
> Also, if I want to copy audio CDs as-is. or convert/burn existing encoded
> audio files to CD, including the Lossless compression APE format, what's
> the proper tools for that?
>
> All in all, I'm asking for a all-round solution for CD ripping/writing
> tools.
>
> Thanks

If you're looking for accurate rips, look at morituri or rubyripper.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Dan

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from T o n g's message of 2011-06-23 18:08:36 +0200:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering what's the proper tools for ripping/copying CDs.
>>
>> Sorry to bring up an "old" topic again, but I felt that a popular tools 3
>> or 5 years ago might not be popular any more and there might be better
>> (developed/maintained) tools available now.
>>
>> Seems that all such GUI tools are based on cdparanoia. I'm mostly looking
>> for GTK or CLI based tools. But still, there are lots to choose from. I'm
>> wondering what's the popular and better developed and maintained ones.
>>
>> Also, if I want to copy audio CDs as-is. or convert/burn existing encoded
>> audio files to CD, including the Lossless compression APE format, what's
>> the proper tools for that?
>>
>> All in all, I'm asking for a all-round solution for CD ripping/writing
>> tools.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> If you're looking for accurate rips, look at morituri or rubyripper.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

I think that the best application to grab audio from a CD is EAC. It
is only available for windows (I know that this a Debian forum). This
program is one of the reasons I keep a windows partition in my hard
drive. I does a great job specially with CDs which are not good (ex.
scratch). It has lot of features like detection of read errors or
comparing some kind of hash of the ripping with a database, etc...

It also has many options to write a CUE sheet. You need a CUE sheet to
make an exact copy of your CD with your tracks(ex. in flac or mp3)

EAC is what I have used to convert my CD collection to flac. It is
worthy to use it. Unfortunately it runs in windows I think you can
run it with wine
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3699&iTesting Id=989

Dan

Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:48:13 +0200, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:

> asunder is pretty nice for the ripping part of your request (lightweight
> and GTK-based)

Thanks Andreas,

I gave asunder a whirl but somehow it always freeze on me. I guess it
might be because that I'm using an old version, v1.9.3-2 on ubuntu
maverick.

Thanks anyway.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
T o n g

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 02:23:45 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I gave asunder a whirl but somehow it always freeze on me.

It works fine now -- I shouldn't have messed with the proxy setting.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> email message attachment

On other Linux I used another CD ripper, but for Debian I unselected
installed Asunder and it does rip the CD to .wav ok for my needs.

Asunder here is version 2.1-1 from testing.

I dunno if it check errors on CDs and I dunno if you can comfortably
convert to what ever audio format you like.

Since I'm not comfortable with 44.1 KHz @ what bit ever, I don't care
much about the quality, when ripping a CD to .wav.

Anyway, Asunder does work here.