Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Wicd sees router but won't connect -solved

On 23 Jun 2011, Philipp ‹berbacher wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
> I had similar problems in the past. Seemingly working wireless but not
> really. In my case it boiled down to drivers that didn't really work,
> but this was a broadcom chip. I guess the semi-open drivers still don't
> work for BCM4312 LP-PHY, although they should since a couple of kernel
> versions.
>
> Anyway, wicd didn't help when troubleshooting and on IRC I met a guy who
> said he was the maintainer and using networkmanager himself..
>
> My suggestion is to, somehow, make sure the driver works for your chip
> and then configure everything manually, using wpa_supplicant directly if
> necessary (not THAT hard). If you can't get it to work that way it won't
> work any other way.
>
> Once it works you can use whatever suits best. Personally I don't use
> wicd anymore but a (possibly Arch Linux specific) script called netcfg
> which is simple and sufficient for most use cases.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Thanks, Philipp - you were right and gave me the clue. There are two
modules available, ath5k and ath9k. I was using ath5k because that is
what the docs talk about, but when I changed to ath9k the connection
came up correctly. Excellent!

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Excerpts from Anthony Campbell's message of 2011-06-23 13:06:54 +0200:
> On 23 Jun 2011, Philipp ‹berbacher wrote:
> > Hi Anthony,
> > I had similar problems in the past. Seemingly working wireless but not
> > really. In my case it boiled down to drivers that didn't really work,
> > but this was a broadcom chip. I guess the semi-open drivers still don't
> > work for BCM4312 LP-PHY, although they should since a couple of kernel
> > versions.
> >
> > Anyway, wicd didn't help when troubleshooting and on IRC I met a guy who
> > said he was the maintainer and using networkmanager himself..
> >
> > My suggestion is to, somehow, make sure the driver works for your chip
> > and then configure everything manually, using wpa_supplicant directly if
> > necessary (not THAT hard). If you can't get it to work that way it won't
> > work any other way.
> >
> > Once it works you can use whatever suits best. Personally I don't use
> > wicd anymore but a (possibly Arch Linux specific) script called netcfg
> > which is simple and sufficient for most use cases.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Philipp
> >

> Thanks, Philipp - you were right and gave me the clue. There are two
> modules available, ath5k and ath9k. I was using ath5k because that is
> what the docs talk about, but when I changed to ath9k the connection
> came up correctly. Excellent!
>
> Anthony

Glad to be of help

Regards,
Philipp

Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 23 iun 11, 12:06:54, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Thanks, Philipp - you were right and gave me the clue. There are two
> modules available, ath5k and ath9k. I was using ath5k because that is
> what the docs talk about, but when I changed to ath9k the connection
> came up correctly. Excellent!

If the kernel picked up the wrong driver that is definitely a bug. If
you forced that driver yourself, well, in the future it might help to
actually mention that, together with the pci id of the hardware in
question (lspci -nn)

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 Jun 2011, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 23 iun 11, 12:06:54, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > >
> > Thanks, Philipp - you were right and gave me the clue. There are two
> > modules available, ath5k and ath9k. I was using ath5k because that is
> > what the docs talk about, but when I changed to ath9k the connection
> > came up correctly. Excellent!
>
> If the kernel picked up the wrong driver that is definitely a bug. If
> you forced that driver yourself, well, in the future it might help to
> actually mention that, together with the pci id of the hardware in
> question (lspci -nn)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --

The kernel does load ath5k but I seem to need ath9k as well. An added
complication is that if I put ath9k in /etc/modules I can't access the
router, even though the module gets laoded. I have to do this manually
for it to work. Even so, the whole thing is rather temperamental and I
sometimes have repeat steps once or twice before it comes up.

Another point: I think I have to have wicd running even though I don't
actually use it to connect.

In summary: the steps I have to do are as follows:

1. sudo modprobe ath9k
2. sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid My_ESSID
3. check, e.g. with dig, to make sure I am connected.

Here is my hardware:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (Mobile) [8086:101e] (rev 03)

02:02.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC [168c:1014] (rev 01)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Brian

On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 16:16:47 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> 02:02.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC [168c:1014] (rev 01)

According to the Debian wiki ath5k is the driver for an AR5212. It also
appears your kernel knew this. Not being able to load the ath9k driver
via /etc/modules is telling you something.

And even now you do not have reliable connectivity. If it were me I'd
purge wicd and everything it pulled in. Similarily with Network Manager
if it lurking somewhere. Then set up wpa_supplicant+ifupdown; or, if you
prefer, wireless-tools.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 24 Jun 2011, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 16:16:47 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > 02:02.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
> > 802.11abg NIC [168c:1014] (rev 01)
>
> According to the Debian wiki ath5k is the driver for an AR5212. It also
> appears your kernel knew this. Not being able to load the ath9k driver
> via /etc/modules is telling you something.
>
> And even now you do not have reliable connectivity. If it were me I'd
> purge wicd and everything it pulled in. Similarily with Network Manager
> if it lurking somewhere. Then set up wpa_supplicant+ifupdown; or, if you
> prefer, wireless-tools.

I didn't say ath9 was not loaded by /etc/modules. It is, but it doesn't
have any effect in this case.

After further experiments, I find that ath5k quite often gives a
connection (after doing "sudo iwconfig essid My_ESSID") but not always.
When it doesn't, manually loading ath9k usually does provide a
connection.

In both cases, however, the wicd daemon must be running, as far as I can
see, if the connection is to come up. Turning if off prevent connection.

On occasions when it works, iwconfig at first shows something like
"00-00-00-00", and telling it to use "My-ESSID" then usually works. If
iwconfig produces no essid at all, as sometimes happen, it is impossible
to connect.

I'm now wondering if there is some bug in iwconfig. It's as if it needs
a "kick" before it does its stuff. There are so many variables in this
situation that it is difficult to know what is happening.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk