FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Harry Putnam
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

I don't know much about what all sources are available for debian and
currently just using the /etc/apt/sources.list established by the
default install:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------

Is there a source for a `tarsnap' pkg

(http://www.tarsnap.com/index.html)

that is accessible with `aptitude'?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87pqm5axkh.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87pqm5axkh.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

On Jo, 23 iun 11, 01:09:18, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> Is there a source for a `tarsnap' pkg
>
> (http://www.tarsnap.com/index.html)
>
> that is accessible with `aptitude'?

You can look for packages distributed on packages.debian.org, which will
search in all suites (oldstable, stable, testing, sid, experimental) and
all areas (main, contrib, non-free). For even older packages there is
archive.debian.org

If it's in none of the above you can search for hints for .deb packages
and/or repository on their website and lastly your favorite search
engine.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

On 23/06/11 16:09, Harry Putnam wrote:

<snipped>
>
> Is there a source for a `tarsnap' pkg
>
> (http://www.tarsnap.com/index.html)
>
> that is accessible with `aptitude'?
>

Not according to:-
https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html
"At the present time, pre-built binaries are not available for Tarsnap —
it must be compiled from the source code."

And Google seems to agree:-
http://www.google.com/search?q=tarsnap+filetype%3Adeb

Try checkinstall to build a debian package:-
# apt-get install checkinstall

Then download the source package from:-
https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html

Follow the instruction on that page with the following modification to
step 6:-
6. Run make all *checkinstall* clean to build and install Tarsnap.

Cheers

--
And I'll tell you something, too, that's starting to annoy me about
UFOs: the fact that they cross galaxies or universes to visit us, and
always end up in places like … Fyffe f#@!ing Alabama.
Maybe these aren't super-intelligent beings, you know what I mean?
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E02E0BE.4000806@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E02E0BE.4000806@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

On 06/23/2011 01:09 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
[snip]


Is there a source for a `tarsnap' pkg

(http://www.tarsnap.com/index.html)

that is accessible with `aptitude'?



https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html

Quote:
At the present time, pre-built binaries are not available for
Tarsnap — it must be compiled from the source code.

http://www.tarsnap.com/

Quote:
$5 for an initial deposit
That *might* not break the DFSG, but I doubt whether any DD would want
to package it.


http://www.tarsnap.com/infrastructure.html

Quote:
Data archived via Tarsnap is stored to the Amazon S3 storage
service

Secure your own data. External enclosures and hard drives are *cheap*.

--
"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
corrupt."
Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4E02E1DF.4090808@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E02E1DF.4090808@cox.net
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

On 23/06/11 16:49, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/23/2011 01:09 AM, Harry Putnam wrote: [snip]
> http://www.tarsnap.com/
>
>
Quote:
$5 for an initial deposit
>
> That *might* not break the DFSG, but I doubt whether any DD would
> want to package it.

Hence the checkinstall suggestion...

>
> http://www.tarsnap.com/infrastructure.html
>
>
Quote:
Data archived via Tarsnap is stored to the Amazon S3 storage
> service
Quote:
Online backups for the truly paranoid
The "sensible" don't trust Amazon

The "paranoid" don't trust teh intertubes

>
> Secure your own data. External enclosures and hard drives are
> *cheap*.
>

:-)

And there's a company that allows free online storage of files, where
you can use the encryption of your choice, provided the backups are
broken into 25MB chunks - with a total limit of 7GB per free account.
No upper limit on the number of free "storage" accounts either.

Cheers

--
And I'll tell you something, too, that's starting to annoy me about
UFOs: the fact that they cross galaxies or universes to visit us, and
always end up in places like … Fyffe f#@!ing Alabama.
Maybe these aren't super-intelligent beings, you know what I mean?
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E02E50D.2090707@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E02E50D.2090707@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> Follow the instruction on that page with the following modification to
> step 6:-
> 6. Run make all *checkinstall* clean to build and install Tarsnap.

I see asterisks fore and aft of `checkinstall'. Were those for
emphasis or part of the command.

Is the command

make all checkinstall clean

?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87liwsaywn.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87liwsaywn.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

On 24/06/11 09:52, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Follow the instruction on that page with the following modification to
>> step 6:-
>> 6. Run make all *checkinstall* clean to build and install Tarsnap.
>
> I see asterisks fore and aft of `checkinstall'. Were those for
> emphasis or part of the command.

Emphasis.
If you view your email as HTML anything between the *s is usually
rendered as bold (strong).

>
> Is the command
>
> make all checkinstall clean
>
> ?
>
>

First I'd:-
1. Extract the tarball
2. Read all the README files first. (esp. /pkg/README) - as autoconf is
used you may find it is capable of producing a Debian package.

3. Read the output of:-
$ ./configure --help | less

I'd try separating the commands eg.:-
$ make all
$ checkinstall
$ clean

The last is not necessary (unless you try and compile the app twice from
the same extracted archive)

Paths I'm referring to are relative to the extracted tarball.

Disclaimer: I haven't used tarsnap so I'm going from the retailer's
instructions (YMMV).


Cheers

--
Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic
drugs, I see through you.
~ Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E03FFDA.7090309@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E03FFDA.7090309@gmail.com
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default is there a tarsnap pkg avaialble for debian

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> On 23/06/11 16:09, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>>
>> Is there a source for a `tarsnap' pkg
>>
>> (http://www.tarsnap.com/index.html)
>>
>> that is accessible with `aptitude'?
>>
>
> Not according to:-
> https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html
> "At the present time, pre-built binaries are not available for Tarsnap —
> it must be compiled from the source code."
>
> And Google seems to agree:-
> http://www.google.com/search?q=tarsnap+filetype%3Adeb
>
> Try checkinstall to build a debian package:-
> # apt-get install checkinstall
>
> Then download the source package from:-
> https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html
>
> Follow the instruction on that page with the following modification to
> step 6:-
> 6. Run make all *checkinstall* clean to build and install Tarsnap.

Finally got around to doing this but something tells me this is not
what is supposed to happen:

pwd
/usr/local/src/tarsnap-autoconf-1.0.30

configure ran fine

make all checkinstall clean

[...]
Ends with this line:
make: *** No rule to make target `checkinstall'. Stop

So what did I do wrong?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87sjm2tk2b.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87sjm2tk2b.fsf@newsguy.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org