FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 AM
William Hopkins
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On 06/22/11 at 11:15pm, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit
> is named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit
> ISO for that?
>
> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

amd64 is the 64bit architecture used by both AMD and Intel in modern CPUs, also
known as x86_64 chipset. The only other explicitly 64-bit architecture I'm
aware of is Intels Itanium (IA64) architecture. I don't know of any software
that currently virtualizes it.

Long story short, you probably want amd64 if you're going to take advantage of
a 64bit desktop CPU. If you don't have any reason to actually use the 64bit
capacity, stick with the i386 iso.

--
Liam
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Mi, 22 iun 11, 23:15:53, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit
> is named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit
> ISO for that?

AMD developed it, which is why Debian calls it amd64, even if it runs on
any x86_64

> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

Are you sure your VM software supports 64bit guests (on your hardware)?
If you allocate 4 GB or less RAM to the vm you might be better of with
i386.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Camaleón
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:15:53 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit is
> named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit ISO for
> that?

A PC can be running a 64-bits OS but that is not a guarantee that your VM
can manage 64-bits guests. I would first read the manual of the involved
VM software.

> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

What kind of VM are we talking here? And what performance are you
expecting to get? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.23.13.55.57@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.23.13.55.57@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Camaleón
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:15:53 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit is
> named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit ISO for
> that?

A PC can be running a 64-bits OS but that is not a guarantee that your VM
can manage 64-bits guests. I would first read the manual of the involved
VM software.

> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

What kind of VM are we talking here? And what performance are you
expecting to get? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.23.13.55.57@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.23.13.55.57@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Lisi
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Thursday 23 June 2011 05:43:54 William Hopkins wrote:
> *Since
>
> > the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

amd64 is suitable for Intel also, just as i386 is also for amd 32 bit systems.
IA64 is suitable _only_ for Itanium processor.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201106231527.23366.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201106231527.23366.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Lisi
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Thursday 23 June 2011 05:43:54 William Hopkins wrote:
> *Since
>
> > the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

amd64 is suitable for Intel also, just as i386 is also for amd 32 bit systems.
IA64 is suitable _only_ for Itanium processor.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201106231527.23366.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201106231527.23366.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Harry Putnam
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:15:53 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit is
>> named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit ISO for
>> that?
>
> A PC can be running a 64-bits OS but that is not a guarantee that your VM
> can manage 64-bits guests. I would first read the manual of the involved
> VM software.

According to Vbox documentation
(http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html), it supports 64 bit
guests even when host is 32 bit. (under certain conditions)

>> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
>> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?
>
> What kind of VM are we talking here? And what performance are you
> expecting to get? :-)

I hoped to run a linux machine to interface with tarsnap.

Now I've studied a bit more, I suspect either version of debian
will be fine.

Far as performance, since the host is able to donate 4GB for the
guest, I'd expect it to be pretty good.

(host is i7 8GB ram)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ei2kayij.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87ei2kayij.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Camaleón
 
Default which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:01:08 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:15:53 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit
>>> is named amd64. So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit
>>> ISO for that?
>>
>> A PC can be running a 64-bits OS but that is not a guarantee that your
>> VM can manage 64-bits guests. I would first read the manual of the
>> involved VM software.
>
> According to Vbox documentation
> (http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html), it supports 64 bit guests
> even when host is 32 bit. (under certain conditions)

Good. Then yes, I don't think you are going to have any problem with a 64-
bit guest OS, I mean, no more problems than the usual ones :-)

>>> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit. Since
>>> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?
>>
>> What kind of VM are we talking here? And what performance are you
>> expecting to get? :-)
>
> I hoped to run a linux machine to interface with tarsnap.
>
> Now I've studied a bit more, I suspect either version of debian will be
> fine.

Yep, just note that if you are going for the 64-bits option (for the
guest) ensure there is a 64-bits package for that application, or at
least read the manual to look for any possible incompatibility with 64-
bits OSes, just in case.

> Far as performance, since the host is able to donate 4GB for the guest,
> I'd expect it to be pretty good.
>
> (host is i7 8GB ram)

Nice! :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.24.12.04.58@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.24.12.04.58@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org