Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Anthony Campbell

Default Wicd sees router but won't connect

I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
/etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
it connect?

The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Brian

On Wed 22 Jun 2011 at 22:35:47 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> it connect?

If you want to continue to fiddle with /e/n/i some more this is the bare
minimum to associate with the AP and get an address.

allow-hotplug ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "unhidden"
wpa-psk "double quotes if ascii/none if hex"

But remove wicd first, unless you believe it will not interfere with
ifupdown. You shouldn't need the last line.

> The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.

Why complicate things? Broadcast and be damned. Or, we hope, connected.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 23:35:47 Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> it connect?
>
> The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.
>
> Anthony

I have nothing about wlan0 in etc/network/interfaces using wicd. Also, wicd may
conflict with network-manager which I removed. Doing this removed about 20
packages also. Dont worry it works.

Thierry

Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/22/11 at 10:35pm, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> it connect?
>
> The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.

I don't use wicd, so I can't speak to that. You can try to connect directly as
follows for testing, though:

iwconfig wlan0 scan //look for your network
iwconfig wlan0 essid ${ESSID} key "s:your_passphrase" //associate to your network with WEP
dhclient wlan0

then see what you've got. Normal network troubleshooting applies.. listen for
traffic, try pinging your router, check your routing table and netmask, etc.
etc.

--
Liam

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 Jun 2011, Brian wrote:

> allow-hotplug ath0
> iface ath0 inet dhcp
> wpa-ssid "unhidden"
> wpa-psk "double quotes if ascii/none if hex"
>
> But remove wicd first, unless you believe it will not interfere with
> ifupdown. You shouldn't need the last line.

I was trying that line for a time but then, after reading the docs, I
found that ath5k gives wlan0.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 Jun 2011, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/22/11 at 10:35pm, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> > module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> > /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> > show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> > it connect?
> >
> > The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> > disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.
>
> I don't use wicd, so I can't speak to that. You can try to connect directly as
> follows for testing, though:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 scan //look for your network
> iwconfig wlan0 essid ${ESSID} key "s:your_passphrase" //associate to your network with WEP
> dhclient wlan0
>
> then see what you've got. Normal network troubleshooting applies.. listen for
> traffic, try pinging your router, check your routing table and netmask, etc.
> etc.
>

> --
> Liam

The strange thing is that wlan0 *does* appear to connect but it doesn't
actually work. Here is the result of iwconfig:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"My Router"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:19:5B:3B:E7:6C
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Excerpts from Anthony Campbell's message of 2011-06-23 10:37:43 +0200:
> On 23 Jun 2011, William Hopkins wrote:
> > On 06/22/11 at 10:35pm, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> > > module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> > > /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> > > show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> > > it connect?
> > >
> > > The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> > > disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.
> >
> > I don't use wicd, so I can't speak to that. You can try to connect directly as
> > follows for testing, though:
> >
> > iwconfig wlan0 scan //look for your network
> > iwconfig wlan0 essid ${ESSID} key "s:your_passphrase" //associate to your network with WEP
> > dhclient wlan0
> >
> > then see what you've got. Normal network troubleshooting applies.. listen for
> > traffic, try pinging your router, check your routing table and netmask, etc.
> > etc.
> >

> > --
> > Liam
>

> The strange thing is that wlan0 *does* appear to connect but it doesn't
> actually work. Here is the result of iwconfig:
>

> wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"My Router"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:19:5B:3B:E7:6C
> Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
> Encryption keyff
> Power Managementff
> Link Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>

> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
> http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at
> http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell

Hi Anthony,
I had similar problems in the past. Seemingly working wireless but not
really. In my case it boiled down to drivers that didn't really work,
but this was a broadcom chip. I guess the semi-open drivers still don't
work for BCM4312 LP-PHY, although they should since a couple of kernel
versions.

Anyway, wicd didn't help when troubleshooting and on IRC I met a guy who
said he was the maintainer and using networkmanager himself..

My suggestion is to, somehow, make sure the driver works for your chip
and then configure everything manually, using wpa_supplicant directly if
necessary (not THAT hard). If you can't get it to work that way it won't
work any other way.

Once it works you can use whatever suits best. Personally I don't use
wicd anymore but a (possibly Arch Linux specific) script called netcfg
which is simple and sufficient for most use cases.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Brian

On Thu 23 Jun 2011 at 09:37:43 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"My Router"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:19:5B:3B:E7:6C
> Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm

Association takes place then. What do 'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n' show?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Brian

On Thu 23 Jun 2011 at 09:32:53 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I was trying that line for a time but then, after reading the docs, I
> found that ath5k gives wlan0.

How did substituting wlan0 for ath0 work out?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Teemu Likonen

* 2011-06-22T22:35:47+01:00 * Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may
> make it connect?

In my Acer Aspire One laptop the wireless (ath5k) network started
working when I installed package "hostapd". I don't know what it does
but my laptop needs it. :-) My system is Debian 6.0 and I use wicd to
manage networks.