Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Wicd sees router but won't connect

On 23 Jun 2011, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> * 2011-06-22T22:35:47+01:00 * Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> > module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> > /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> > show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may
> > make it connect?
>
> In my Acer Aspire One laptop the wireless (ath5k) network started
> working when I installed package "hostapd". I don't know what it does
> but my laptop needs it. :-) My system is Debian 6.0 and I use wicd to
> manage networks.

Interesting - I had tried hostapd earlier and I also had the impression
that ath5k was working while hostapd was installed, but then I deleted
it and forot about it. However, the use of ath9k, mentioned by me in a

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 23 iun 11, 13:24:35, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> In my Acer Aspire One laptop the wireless (ath5k) network started
> working when I installed package "hostapd". I don't know what it does
> but my laptop needs it. :-) My system is Debian 6.0 and I use wicd to
> manage networks.

I doubt you need hostapd itself, unless you want to turn the laptop into
an AP. Most probably hostapd pulled some needed packages or reconfigured
your card in a way to make it work also as a client.

Regards,
Andrei