FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Camaleón
 
Default gedit flaw need to be addressed

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:16:01 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> I've used gedit as my quick editor for some time on my Debian 'stable'
> production server. Primarily for a quick revising of mediawiki articles.
> I use the find and replace feature a LOT! Recently after some upgrades
> that feature does not work properly. i.e. if I click on the drop down
> arrow in the find and replace window...it crashes the application.

Find and replace is a very much used function, it is a bit strange that
nobody noticed this error :-?

Does it happen with all kind of files (plain text, html, etc...)? Does it
happen even if no highlight selected?

> I can type in a word or highlight one, then finish the operation with no
> issue. However I really need the drop down because it allows me to
> select from a menu of previously searched for words. Any ideas are
> appreciated. I havent filed a bug report, but perhaps I should if others
> have noticed a similar issue.

Some tips:

- Try get to get a trace for the error (launch gedit from command line,
reproduce the crash and hope something goes to the console).

- I would also try to reproduce the crash from another user account, that
is, by login with a fresh new user to see if the error can be still
reproduced from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.22.16.29.47@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.22.16.29.47@gmail.com
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
John W Foster
 
Default gedit flaw need to be addressed

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 16:29 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:16:01 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>
> > I've used gedit as my quick editor for some time on my Debian 'stable'
> > production server. Primarily for a quick revising of mediawiki articles.
> > I use the find and replace feature a LOT! Recently after some upgrades
> > that feature does not work properly. i.e. if I click on the drop down
> > arrow in the find and replace window...it crashes the application.
>
> Find and replace is a very much used function, it is a bit strange that
> nobody noticed this error :-?
>
> Does it happen with all kind of files (plain text, html, etc...)?


It happens every time I click the dropdown arrow on the cache of saved
previously searched for words. It does NOT happen if I click on the
dropdown arrow of the previously saved cache of replacement words.

> Does it happen even if no highlight selected?
yes
>
> > I can type in a word or highlight one, then finish the operation with no
> > issue. However I really need the drop down because it allows me to
> > select from a menu of previously searched for words. Any ideas are
> > appreciated. I havent filed a bug report, but perhaps I should if others
> > have noticed a similar issue.
>
> Some tips:
>
> - Try get to get a trace for the error (launch gedit from command line,
> reproduce the crash and hope something goes to the console).
>
> - I would also try to reproduce the crash from another user account, that
> is, by login with a fresh new user to see if the error can be still
> reproduced from there.
I will give these a try.
Thanks

>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1308777323.4688.4.camel@beast.home">http://lists.debian.org/1308777323.4688.4.camel@beast.home
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org