Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
lee

Default posting (was: Threading)

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> And I am in absolute agreement with you!

Hm, I wonder why anyone is going to the lengths of replying to digest
messages rather than just subscribing to the list ...

> But then - I also believe if someone top posts there *is* something
> wrong. Likewise posting in HTML. Or posting to the list because they are
> unable to do something, but then insisting on rudely declaring how
> something must be done (and still expecting respect).

Here or anywhere else, indeed. I´m seeing badly designed followups way
too often. Some people don´t even use quote marks so that it becomes
indistinguishable who says what or what someone is refering to. I wish
there was a way to automatically detect such followups to automatically
lower their scores and have them not displayed anymore.

Do you know of a good reference that teaches people how to post I could
point to in my signature?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
"Roger B.A. Klorese"

On Jun 22, 2011, at 7:01 AM, lee wrote:

> Hm, I wonder why anyone is going to the lengths of replying to digest
> messages rather than just subscribing to the list ...

So they don't need to get hundreds of separate messages?! Most people don't treat a digest as separate from a list, just an alternate subscription format.

It's incumbent on those who own the technology to evolve digests so it's easier to reply to individual posts, not on readers to jump through hoops to reply.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Andrew McGlashan

Test reply from link in archive at:

I want to see if the reply ends up in the thread properly, I think it
should as the html link from the online archive is this:

<a
href="mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org?In-Reply-To=&lt;8DB18074-5AE4-4E07-AAC5-C41967B5E5E7@queernet.org&gt;&amp;Subject=Re:%20Re :
posting (was: Threading)">debian-user@lists.debian.org</a>

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E05782B.2020109@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E05782B.2020109@affinityvision.com.au

Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/06/11 15:54, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Test reply from link in archive at:

> I want to see if the reply ends up in the thread properly, I think it
> should as the html link from the online archive is this:
>

> <a
> href="mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org?In-Reply-To=&lt;8DB18074-5AE4-4E07-AAC5-C41967B5E5E7@queernet.org&gt;&amp;Subject=Re:%20Re :
> posting (was: Threading)">debian-user@lists.debian.org</a>

Threads fine in Icedove, Kmail, and on http://lists.debian.org

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

On 06/25/2011 03:14 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 25/06/11 15:54, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> Test reply from link in archive at:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/06/msg01787.html
>>
>> I want to see if the reply ends up in the thread properly, I think it
>> should as the html link from the online archive is this:
>>

>> <a
>> href="mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org?In-Reply-To=&lt;8DB18074-5AE4-4E07-AAC5-C41967B5E5E7@queernet.org&gt;&amp;Subject=Re:%20Re :
>> posting (was: Threading)">debian-user@lists.debian.org</a>
>>

> Threads fine in Icedove, Kmail, and on http://lists.debian.org

Indeed, but it depends on the hability of the program handling mailto:
links in understanding that link and appropriately adding the
In-Reply-To header specified.

--
Out of sight is out of mind.
-- Arthur Clough

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Stephen Allen

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 03:54:51PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Test reply from link in archive at:

> I want to see if the reply ends up in the thread properly, I think
> it should as the html link from the online archive is this:

---end quoted text---

Threaded just fine in mutt.