-   -   Iceweasel 3.5.19 and wmv files (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/542750-iceweasel-3-5-19-wmv-files.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-22-2011 12:04 PM

Iceweasel 3.5.19 and wmv files

Open with vlc
[x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.

Is ignored for wmv files that can be played.
Does work for wmv files hat can't be played.

Camaleón 06-22-2011 01:14 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:04:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Open with vlc
> [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
>
> Is ignored for wmv files that can be played.
> Does work for wmv files hat can't be played.

Mmm, can you re-phrase that? What works and what doesn't? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Ralf Mardorf 06-22-2011 03:36 PM

Iceweasel 3.5.19 and wmv files

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 15:03 +0000,
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:04:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Open with vlc
> > [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
> >
> > Is ignored for wmv files that can be played.
> > Does work for wmv files hat can't be played.
>
> Mmm, can you re-phrase that? What works and what doesn't? :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc is able to play,
than the file isn't played automatically. Icedove always ask me what to
do, while

"Open with vlc
[x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on."

already is checked.

When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc isn't able to play
(that's not an issue, because Linux very often is unable to play some
files.wmv, while it can play other file.wmv), than it does remember to
open it automatically, that it should be played with vlc.

I first opened a valid_filename.wmv vlc could play and then a
valid_filename.wmv vlc can't play.

So in addition to the usual issue, that Linux can't play averaged videos.wmv, that can be played by other OS I wont use, but a lot of people unfortunately do use (not important for me), Iceweasel doesn't remember that videos.wmv should automatically played by vlc, without asking me (this is very annoying).
(OT: Sorry, very often Evolution generates never ending lines, when I
reply to mails, e.g. like the line above).

Can the Iceweasel issue be fixed?

Or should I get rid of Iceweasel and install a regular Firefox or is
there any reason to use a broken Firefox called Iceweasel for Debian
installs?

It seems to be that testing is less a valid testing, but extreme buggy
regarding to multimedia and Internet applications :(. Unfortunately I
can't use stable for my needs. I fear that when I'll compile Ardour with
videotimeline, ffmpeg might become an issue, since some codec packages
don't like other codec packages.

Ralf

Camaleón 06-22-2011 06:20 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:36:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 15:03 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:04:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> > Open with vlc
>> > [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
>> >
>> > Is ignored for wmv files that can be played. Does work for
>> > wmv files hat can't be played.
>>
>> Mmm, can you re-phrase that? What works and what doesn't? :-)
>>

> When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc is able to play,
> than the file isn't played automatically. Icedove always ask me what to
> do, while
>
> "Open with vlc
> [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on."
>
> already is checked.
>
> When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc isn't able to play
> (that's not an issue, because Linux very often is unable to play some
> files.wmv, while it can play other file.wmv), than it does remember to
> open it automatically, that it should be played with vlc.
>
> I first opened a valid_filename.wmv vlc could play and then a
> valid_filename.wmv vlc can't play.

Not sure if this could solve your problem with wmv files, but there is a
plugin for VLC that you may want to try ("mozilla-plugin-vlc"). Or maybe
you already have it installed? :-?

BTW, I've also found that mime types management in Firefox for linux can
be a bit tricky.

> So in addition to the usual issue, that Linux can't play averaged
> videos.wmv, that can be played by other OS I wont use,

I'm sure other OSes (MacOS and Windows at least) pay the required licence
to be able to make use of some multimedia codecs. And non-OEM Windows
installations do come with no multimedia player capable for reproducing
most of the codecs we can find out there ;-)

> but a lot of people unfortunately do use (not important for me),
> Iceweasel doesn't remember that videos.wmv should automatically played
> by vlc, without asking me (this is very annoying). (OT: Sorry, very
> often Evolution generates never ending lines, when I reply to mails,
> e.g. like the line above).
>
> Can the Iceweasel issue be fixed?

I would try the plugin and see how it goes :-?

> Or should I get rid of Iceweasel and install a regular Firefox or is
> there any reason to use a broken Firefox called Iceweasel for Debian
> installs?

I think Firefox will do the same way. But trying it may not hurt:
download and test (better with another user to avoid mising settings), no
installation required.

> It seems to be that testing is less a valid testing, but extreme buggy
> regarding to multimedia and Internet applications :(.

Multimedia has been always a pending task in linux but for a good reason:
companies develop closed codecs that we cannot use freely ;-(

> Unfortunately I can't use stable for my needs. I fear that when I'll
> compile Ardour with videotimeline, ffmpeg might become an issue, since
> some codec packages don't like other codec packages.

I think this problem is not related to a specific Debian flavour.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón