-   -   HELP, NO ram disk devices shown under /dev (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/542583-help-no-ram-disk-devices-shown-under-dev.html)

Junjie Qian 06-22-2011 02:46 AM

HELP, NO ram disk devices shown under /dev

Hi all,

Now I have one problem that there is no ram disk devices shown
under /dev. But I can use the OS with no problem, as some other
guys in my group need to use such files, could anyone give me any
advice on this?

And I think this should exist by default.

The information about this OS is: Debian_6.0.1_amd64, kernel
2.6.32-5-amd64.

Thanks!

Best

Junjie

Scott Ferguson 06-22-2011 03:10 AM

On 22/06/11 12:46, Junjie Qian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now I have one problem that there is no ram disk devices shown under
> /dev.

I believe that is the default.

> But I can use the OS with no problem, as some other guys in my
> group need to use such files, could anyone give me any advice on this?
> And I think this should exist by default.

initramfs??

Otherwise try:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DeviceTableScripting

> The information about this OS is: Debian_6.0.1_amd64, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64.
>
> Thanks!
> Best
> Junjie

Cheers

--
Howto post plain text messages from Icedove
Edit => Account Settings... => Composition and addressing

William Hopkins 06-22-2011 05:49 AM

On 06/21/11 at 09:46pm, Junjie Qian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now I have one problem that there is no ram disk devices shown under
> /dev. But I can use the OS with no problem, as some other guys in my
> group need to use such files, could anyone give me any advice on
> this?
> And I think this should exist by default.

'ram disks' as devices haven't been used in quite a while. The standard method
of using filesystems in memory is 'tmpfs'. Try mount -t tmpfs -o size=nbytes
/test/dir

If you really need a ram disk (for non-filesystem uses, maybe?) you could
create it with mknod /dev/ramdisk b 1 1 (IIRC, anyway). Then you can allocate
the size using dd.

--
Liam