-   -   k9copy 2.3.7 crashes, howto debug? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/542503-k9copy-2-3-7-crashes-howto-debug.html)

Eike Lantzsch 06-21-2011 08:31 PM

k9copy 2.3.7 crashes, howto debug?

Hi:

On one of my computers k9copy 2.3.7 crashes right in the beginning (so did
2.3.5 and 2.3.6). Unfortunately the debug information is not significant
enough to file a bug report. Package k9copy-dbg does not exist.
I don't know if it has to do with the CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
or with the DVD-RW unit being SATA.
On all of my other computers with single core CPU and PATA drives k9copy works
fine.

Can somebody give me some directions how to start debugging the issue, please?
I understand that k9copy is just a wrapper for vamps and a pletora of other
programs.

Google shows lots of "k9copy" and "crash" - but mostly on Ubuntu and the
articles are old. Also they seem to be void of any hint or workaround.

Thank you folks
Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519

Camaleón 06-22-2011 01:08 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:31:38 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On one of my computers k9copy 2.3.7 crashes right in the beginning (so
> did 2.3.5 and 2.3.6).

What kind of crash? Segfault?

> Unfortunately the debug information is not
> significant enough to file a bug report. Package k9copy-dbg does not
> exist. I don't know if it has to do with the CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4
> CPU 3.00GHz or with the DVD-RW unit being SATA.
> On all of my other computers with single core CPU and PATA drives k9copy
> works fine.
>
> Can somebody give me some directions how to start debugging the issue,
> please? I understand that k9copy is just a wrapper for vamps and a
> pletora of other programs.
>
> Google shows lots of "k9copy" and "crash" - but mostly on Ubuntu and the
> articles are old. Also they seem to be void of any hint or workaround.

>From what source did you get that package? Upstream project, d-m? I would
start by contacting either of them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Eike Lantzsch 06-22-2011 08:33 PM

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 09:08:43 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:31:38 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > On one of my computers k9copy 2.3.7 crashes right in the beginning (so
> > did 2.3.5 and 2.3.6).
>
> What kind of crash? Segfault? No.
write(2, "ASSERT failure in QList<T>::at: "..., 101ASSERT failure in
QList<T>::at: "index out of range", file /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h, line
456
But that has nothing to do with the reason. It is only complaining that there
is no debug information. I don't even have /usr/include/qt4.

> > Unfortunately the debug information is not
> > significant enough to file a bug report. Package k9copy-dbg does not
> > exist. I don't know if it has to do with the CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4
> > CPU 3.00GHz or with the DVD-RW unit being SATA.
> > On all of my other computers with single core CPU and PATA drives k9copy
> > works fine.
> >
> > Can somebody give me some directions how to start debugging the issue,
> > please? I understand that k9copy is just a wrapper for vamps and a
> > pletora of other programs.
> >
> > Google shows lots of "k9copy" and "crash" - but mostly on Ubuntu and the
> > articles are old. Also they seem to be void of any hint or workaround.
> >
> >From what source did you get that package? Upstream project, d-m?
debian-multimedia
> >I would
> > start by contacting either of them.
I tired contacting upstream earlier but got no answer. Most probably because I
was not able to supply a meaningful bug report.
Anyway: I tried strace to see at least with which file k9copy fails. Lo and
behold - it was with /home/username/.kde/share/config/K9Copy
(mind the capital letters).
I always tried to delete ../apps/k9copyrc and that didn't change a thing. No
wonder, that file does not seem to be used for ages.
So I deleted ../config/K9Copy and k9copy worked again.
Now I don't know why nor in what way K9Copy was corrupted. As a text file it
seemed to be OK.
With the huge amount of libraries and programs which k9copy loads I see that I
won't have time to install all the sources and start a debug session.
I'll switch back to "user-mode" and be happy with k9copy doing what it's
supposed to do now.

I learned one thing: making a 'program'-dbg package is a lot of work and many
thanks go to everybody who ever supplied any to Debian.

> Greetings,

Thank you for your consideration and greetings.
Eike